Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching around ebay and all the other for sale web sites and saw that desmo prices have dropped a little bit, but so has everything else. Anyone have a guess of how low these machines will get to in a few years, or up? Seeing that a 05 999r is around 16 or so now im guessing they went for alot more new, even though they arent the same bike or can't really be compared, I wonder what will happen to the price of the desmo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They do seem to be cheaper, but I think a lot of that is a lack of guyslooking to buy used. I mean if I were going to spend that much on a bike, I'd totally buy new and expect no surprises...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
A year ago I predicted the prices would fall to mid twenties and right now I would say that you could pick one up for the low forties pretty easily. Ducati still has new ones available so they didn't even sell out the 1500 they produced. Prices are heading south in a hurry and bikes are pretty readily available.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My guess is that as soon as those 3 year warranties start expiring we're gonna see a lot of d16rr's popping up at greatly discounted prices.

I still plan on getting one some day :)
I think I metioned this in another thread. I had a discussion a few weeks ago with a Ducati Dealer freind- I use that term loosely. He mentioned that this will happen. Because for the cost of maintaining the bike, the original owners will drop them and move on to the next thing rather than putting the money into an older bike. He is seeing this already with the 1098r and expects the 1198r to start coming in as trade-in for the base models or just a new bike.

It's just the way some people think. Good for me, I plan on getting one too!

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
The 999R's are pretty much fully-depreciated, and can be found pretty easily in the $15k range or even less, which is about 60% off the original price. 1098R's are heading in the direction quickly, and my guess is that D16RR's will be similar, and might even a little steeper in depreciation due to the high initial cost. This eventually puts them in the mid-$20's, IMO. I'm probably in when they get there :)

Relative to the older SP and R models, they really built a lot of D16RR's. On top of that, everyone I know with a 1098R and a D16RR says the 1098R is a much better road bike, and few can really push a D16RR anywhere close to it's potential at the track.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A year ago I predicted the prices would fall to mid twenties and right now I would say that you could pick one up for the low forties pretty easily. Ducati still has new ones available so they didn't even sell out the 1500 they produced. Prices are heading south in a hurry and bikes are pretty readily available.
Some had made the initial deposit as an "investment" banking on the economy (good at the time) and thinking that they'll make a quick 5-20K USD.

Speculative plan didn't work out this time. Prices went South in a hurry.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ouch...low blow
No insult intended- just shows what a friggin' monster the bike is to tame.
The guy is extremely talented, and he is staying with it but it has gotten the better of him a few times.

Granted he is on a totally customized version, but that Desmo would take my head off...

can't wait!

·
comrade moderator
26,982 Posts
A year ago I predicted the prices would fall to mid twenties ...

I'm fairly certain about half the interweb community that gave a damn made that same prediction there Nostradamus, but it's ok...the other half thought they would hold their value and depending on when you check, everybody is right. Ain't crystal balls terrific? :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
My guess I would taper off to the mid 20's after a few years, or sooner after Ducati releases some other sort of V4 machine.

Kinda like other Special like the R7, RC45, RC30 etc..

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I'm fairly certain about half the interweb community that gave a damn made that same prediction there Nostradamus, but it's ok...the other half thought they would hold their value and depending on when you check, everybody is right. Ain't crystal balls terrific? :D
Hey half the Dionne Warwick's psychic network crowd were convinced that they would be instant collectors items skyrocketing in value...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts