Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking through the Superstreet Bike magazine and they had a a pretty cool picture of a Ducati 858RR, yes it was fake but they discussed should ducati make a desmo that was attainable to for more people this is what it would look like. They said they would make the engine displacement smaller yet retain the v4 making around 150hp and still make the exhaust exit the top of the rear faring.
Anyway just thought I would let you guys know, not that it will happen but if it did it would be pretty sweet. If you find a pic for it please post it as I can not find one yet.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Better yet, since the tooling is already set for production, just homologate the current 990 V4 for WSBK and boost production so it doesn't have to cost $75K to have a modern powerplant in a Ducati.

·
comrade moderator
26,824 Posts
I would have to believe that's coming. It's the future. Ducati will have to keep pace or risk being left for dead. Tradition is great and all, but at some point ya gotta move forward. I feel for a modern race or "Superbike" platform, the L-Twin engine layout is now a liability. It's too long and requires the use of too short of a swingarm. They're still getting away with it, but the writing is on the wall.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would have to believe that's coming. It's the future. Ducati will have to keep pace or risk being left for dead. Tradition is great and all, but at some point ya gotta move forward. I feel for a modern race or "Superbike" platform, the L-Twin engine layout is now a liability. It's too long and requires the use of too short of a swingarm. They're still getting away with it, but the writing is on the wall.
truth

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I think the next superbike step will instead be a partial carbon chassis, meaning that one part will be carbon, while the rest will be trellis frame.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i agree... i believe that the V-4 needs to be considered... or maybe they won't now that Aprilia has made one that works pretty well. we will see.. but i believe that Ducati should do it... besides... i'd love to own one...

·
9,757 Posts
What are the dimensions of the desmosedici's V4? In reality it is an L4, so it should be quite a bit longer than a narrow angle V.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
comrade moderator
26,824 Posts
It is an L all right, but it's rocked back on the cases a tad. Same thing a Honda did with it's 996 Superhawk motor and Suzuki did with the TL motors. I always thought Ducati should have done the same thing.

Hmmm...yer right, it's still pretty long.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
+1 Whether the boys in Bologna like it or not, either conform or perish at least on the race level. I'm sure most of us would accept a V4 in the mix, we know its inevitable as you stated Chuck. In fact most of us can't wait to see the V4 mix it up in WSBK. I'm ambivalent about it when it comes to street application, leaning towards keeping it in race mode only. Theres my traditionalist attitude, the Vtwin is more than adequate, beyond adequate for street/track use.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Better yet, since the tooling is already set for production, just homologate the current 990 V4 for WSBK and boost production so it doesn't have to cost $75K to have a modern powerplant in a Ducati.
Ducati would loose the displacement advantage of the L twin in WSBK if they went to an L4, but that may not be a problem if they can make as much power as the Japanese I4 engines. I think if the world economic situation was much more positive, then doing what you're saying would be a great idea for them.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
+1 Whether the boys in Bologna like it or not, either conform or perish at least on the race level. I'm sure most of us would accept a V4 in the mix, we know its inevitable as you stated Chuck. In fact most of us can't wait to see the V4 mix it up in WSBK. I'm ambivalent about it when it comes to street application, leaning towards keeping it in race mode only. Theres my traditionalist attitude, the Vtwin is more than adequate, beyond adequate for street/track use.
Marketing a L4 would make the bike much more expensive than the L twin. The Aprilia is 20 grand... I think a Ducati L4 Superbike would be at least that much.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ducati would loose the displacement advantage of the L twin in WSBK if they went to an L4, but that may not be a problem if they can make as much power as the Japanese I4 engines.
They haven't got a displacement advantage where they're using the V4 now and they're winning races... why would it be an issue in a superbike?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Couple of things.... you gotta know that Aprilia, releasing a brand new very expensive (development corporate investment wise) bike with the economy like it is right now is in a make it or dead meat position. Ducati knowing that the way forward is a V-4 and having had much experience building this bike is going to go that way soon and probably many people inside Ducati are pissed that corporate didn't allow them to do it first. My guess is that the D16 RR is being used to create the public impression that V-4 means serious race/ high quality bike and now will follow up on this with a reasonably priced D16 replacement.
Do anyone of you think Aprilia will survive this gamble they made with the RSV4? I'm certain Ducati Spa. are watching closely.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ducati has already probably built a cheap V4 post the desmosedici abomination (basically a motogp motor that had lots of problems) I'm fairly sure Ducati is waiting to see what Aprilia has in terms of sales on a $20,000 V4. Mind you, the 20,000 bike shares very little with its wsbk component, unlike the 1098R which is similar.

So its all about hurry up and wait. Its coming, Ducati knows it and it might happen this year as both Haga and Fabrizio both said there is going to be a new bike for 2010. Wether its just a small upgrade or not (probably an 1198R) we'll have to wait and see!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
the reality is wsbk and moto gp have little bearing on sales .ducati should be making a more affordable v4,and things like 848''r'' models .people seem to forget the 1098 was the highest selling superbike in ducatis history while it wasn't allowed to compete in most forms of racing.do you really think sales would have dropped off if wsbk decided to keep the 1000cc limit.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Couple of things.... you gotta know that Aprilia, releasing a brand new very expensive (development corporate investment wise) bike with the economy like it is right now is in a make it or dead meat position. Ducati knowing that the way forward is a V-4 and having had much experience building this bike is going to go that way soon and probably many people inside Ducati are pissed that corporate didn't allow them to do it first. My guess is that the D16 RR is being used to create the public impression that V-4 means serious race/ high quality bike and now will follow up on this with a reasonably priced D16 replacement.
Do anyone of you think Aprilia will survive this gamble they made with the RSV4? I'm certain Ducati Spa. are watching closely.
well i think that Apillia has a good chance with it.. right now the V4's are at 16 and 20 grand... when our dollars rebounds.. and it will... the prices may drop a bit.. say around 14 and 18 grand. Add to that some really good results from the race team ( i think Biaggi should do pretty well next year)... and could be looking pretty good.

Ducati will have to do something soon... i mean how much more can that 1198 motor be played with?... it seems that there should be a new motor in a year of two anyhow....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts