Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i been thinking about the desmo since it came out. Every couple of years, some one tries to sell an un-ridden example and im always off the price by a few thousand dollars.
now its been a couple years since i check on these prices again, but whats a reasonable offer on a good low milage example on these?

Also are the horror stories on these bikes true?? Overheating the heads and too hot to ride?
now, an owner of 3 is selling a 5k mile example, and he told me the ones who have trouble with them, are the ones who ride too slow.
and owners who like to xxxk with the fuel injection system get issues.

anyway, here is a 5k mile example bought from newport beach and shipped here trying to pass emmisions in my country which wont happen now.

so im thinking about this again.
Should i get one with no miles or this, and how much should i pay for these things?
Or these bikes are full of headaches, that i should just run????!

i will actually ride it, and not put it in a living room, so please help :

other choices right now :

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Amazing bikes and sound unholy, but with the reliability and maintenance issues I've heard of, the small rear wheel, and with them coming off warranty now, I just wouldn't want to touch one unless it was super cheap (below $30k).

·
Registered
535 Posts
Can't help you on the RR question, but nice collection of pictures.

I know that 999 FILA for a long time already, for sale for years.
If only I had .....

Good luck on decisions.

E.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you can afford the possible $10K repair job that isn't maintenance, then by all means, get the Desmo. Otherwise, get that Fila!

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Through a second hand party I heard the Desmo is a time bomb. That Bimota is awesome looking, is the model powered by Ducati? The Fila is just not high enough in the food chain when compared against the above two bikes, but I wouldn't kick it out of the garage either.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
The Bimota is super cool and it will last, the Desmo is a time bomb. It's a super cool bike and it's a real shame but the sad fact is that they almost all blow up.
Buddy of mine just had his blow up 6 month ago, less then 2000miles on the bike and out of warranty.
He did swing a deal with Ducati as he owns multiple Ducati's and they did cover the parts and they were $ 36.000 at retail price to get the motor fixed including new cases. He paid another $4000 in labor cost.

I know somebody who has a crashed bike with a perfectly good engine, he is asking $ 40.000 for the engine alone.

Fact that you are in Taiwan makes it even worst, nothing against Taiwan at all :) but it's even harder for you to get parts & service done for it as you probably know.

Get the Bimota and the Diavel and you be in perfect shape with either of them.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I know a guy who was a premier Ducati shop owner who owned a Desmo....what a POS! It had over $30K in warranty work from Ducati to include new fairings, pistons....burnt oil, smoked, replaced, still burns oil, smokes)...he was told by Ducati to remove the engine and have it blue printed and balanced..otherwise it's as they say above it's a Time Bomb...
He sold it for nothing $40 grand...they are a beautiful motorcycle, but Ducati got greedy, made more than they originally planned due to the high demand. Things were done to quickly to keep up with demand, sloppy tolerances, poor quality CF due to more out sourcing...it's really a shame as that is some motorcycle....your better off getting a 1098R if you want a real life race replica Ducati...
Since your in Taiwan and great techs are few and far between, getting parts is difficult and costly, go with something that's reliable and you can enjoy. Can someone fix the BiMota? Can you get parts readily or will it take months. Remember if it breaks down and takes months to get part...how will you feel about that?
I would put all your ducks in a row and make sure there's someone who can maintain and get parts for any bike you buy in that part of the world.

·
Bon Vivant
11,303 Posts
Lets forget all the problems with the desmo for a moment and talk about living with the bike; You say you will ride it - that sounds like you want an exotic bike that you can ride on the street. The D16 is not much fun to ride on public roads - hot, uncomfortable and cantankerous, it's just plain tough to live with. Even on the track the test riders who have ridden both back to back say the 1098 is a much better bike for all but 2% of the best riders in the world.

If you want to park it in your living room or in a collection and keep it as a piece of history I think the bike is well worth the investment.
But as a rider I think buying a D16RR is a mistake.

Buy a Bayliss 1098R (the bayliss for more bragging rights), Tamburini, or a CC
The MV's are two of the most beautiful motorcycles ever built IMO

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Lets forget all the problems with the desmo for a moment and talk about living with the bike; You say you will ride it - that sounds like you want an exotic bike that you can ride on the street. The D16 is not much fun to ride on public roads - hot, uncomfortable and cantankerous, it's just plain tough to live with. Even on the track the test riders who have ridden both back to back say the 1098 is a much better bike for all but 2% of the best riders in the world.

If you want to park it in your living room or in a collection and keep it as a piece of history I think the bike is well worth the investment.
But as a rider I think buying a D16RR is a mistake.

Buy a Bayliss 1098R (the bayliss for more bragging rights), Tamburini, or a CC
The MV's are two of the most beautiful motorcycles ever built IMO

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the CC would run you a couple of bucks more than the Desmo.

·
Registered
380 Posts
flynbulldog pretty much nails it, don't buy one if you can't afford it and don't buy a D16RR if you intend to use it regularly or it will be your only bike - there are much better rides out there (pretty much all of them).

A D16RR needs to be experienced in small doses to be appreciated otherwise the heat, uncompromising ride and noise will simply irritate you.

However keep it for those those rare times when the weather is perfect, the traffic is non-existant, the road flows in a sinuous ribbon and the police are busy somewhere else go for a ride and you will get off with an involuntary grin from ear to ear.

Andrew...

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Are there any members of this forum who have either have one or have owned one? Not that I don't believe the maintenance nightmare stories, but I would have a far easier time resetting my long term goal of D16RR ownership with something like this...

Ebay find: YZR500 « Inconsistent

... if I were able to hear these horror stories firsthand.

Again, I am not calling into question the veracity of any of your 2nd hand accounts, but I would like to hear from some people who have actually lived with one. I am thinking back here to all of my friends who tried to steer me away from the 748R... too revvy, too stiff, too hot, too touchy, too expensive to fix, etc. etc. I am not saying it isn't all those things, but it's ride characteristics were exactly what I was expecting from a racing homologation special of that time period. Every time I get done riding it, I may be a bit sore, and a bit sweaty, but I have a smile from ear to ear because that was exactly the riding experience I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Consider you could have any two of the following for the price of a desmo:
Bimota DB7
1098R
1199R
RSV4 Factory
RC45
RC30
Tamburini

It would be tough to live with the RR and all its pitfalls. When they came out I thought some day I would own one, but the downside is how expensive they are to do anything, even forgetting the purchase price.

Someone mentioned $10k, not sure if that would even cover a valve job. I that might get you started on an engine rebuild, but wouldn't come close to finishing it.

This assumes you can get parts in the future. With such small production numbers and zero crossover with other models, in 20 years people may be sitting with very pretty paperweights.

I had high hopes Ducati by now would have made a normal production model, but who knew the guys right up the road in Noale woulod beat them to it and take two world titles.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
From the many posts and threads, let me just say to save your money and go buy something else.

You would be very happy with a 1098r though!!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
The MV isn't exactly the picture of reliability either. Not as bad as a D16, but I agree the 1098R sounds like a good option for you.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You have a huge selection of top, top quality motorcycles to choose from given you can afford a Desmosedici.
I'll agree with Bulldog, you'll find nearly every test comparison between the two, the 1098R and D16RR, the 1098R won out. The pro riders love the 1098R, in fact MCN did a very comprehensive video test of the two using Gary McCoy as their guest test rider. (MCN YT) The 1098 is just more livable, less money and in many opinions Ducati's last, best belt driven Superbike. IMO, it's a better superbike then the 1199 until it proves itself.
Most importantly you need to make sure what ever you buy you can have it fixed and maintained properly and that parts are readily available. Even in the USA the wait can be a few weeks to months for a part. No sense owning something if it's going to sit all the time. Is there a Bimota dealer near you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW! im shocked by all the negative comments on a ducati forum??!!
i thought, well atleast i did, that the desmo is the ultimate ducati superbike, its the top of the hill, etc...
thats why i want it and thats why people want it.
im not a collector, i buy bikes to ride hard with no track time, but with more than 1.5k made, the desmo really isnt a collectors item.

my particular seller has 3 desmos and is a collector plus tingkler, he doesnt ride them, but loves to take the bikes apart and play with them.
i think its such a waste so i like to take one off his hands, but he wants to make some profit out of me which is fine, but i just dont know the market for these now.

and after reading all the comments so far, i think im better off getting the brand new oronero which is roughly the same price of the desmo with 5k miles for sell by the same owner.
i love that DB7 with all the carbon frame and everything, plus its so light and with an 1098 engine im pretty sure i can rest better at night.

thank u all.
now no more bashing the desmo, atleast until i get one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One thing I gotta say,that motor is the sickest I've ever rode.I put a thousand miles on one,spanked a gsxr1000 drag racing 10 times over! The sound is even sicker,going into a underground garage women /children running thinking it's the end of the world!!!! If you can afford it,fuck it you only live once....

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is very :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Get the Oronero John, you won't be disappointed, pick up my new one this weekend. It's up there with the MV F4 CC which you already have. Friend of mine here had a D16 and hated it, much preferred his standard DB7.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts