Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of info I discovered today that might help owners of 916/996/748's and maybe others.
I've read of many people who report the temperature gauge on these bikes often swings up and down the gauge for no apparent reason. Mine has been doing this for a while and I learnt to live with it.

Today I took some time to check it out, and the sender and gauge came up AOK. However, the sender is mounted in a cast alloy hose block on the left side of the engine along with the fan switch and the coolant temp. sender back to the ECU. This block relies on its mounting screws to provide an earth (Ground) path back to the battery........they were quite dirty, and I wondered whether they were providing a clean earth route, so I rigged a supplementary earth wire from the sender unit body upto one of the screws for the Dzus fasteners onto the frame................and the gauge instantly gave a stable reading, without any swings up and down scale! Well worth a look if you have the same issue.
I'm not sure it's anything to do with this, but I'm convinced the bike ran better, able to chug down to 2000RPM smoothly and none of the roughness around 3000 any more. Could improving the earthing of the ECU sender have done this? Dunno, but the difference is amazing and I'm a happy bunny:)
Be interested to hear if any of the knowledgeable guys on here have any thoughts, as far as I knew the ECU sensor didn't need an earth, but can't believe how much better she ran after trying the extra lead?

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
INTRESTING..
I´m gonna check that out, since my temp gauge always seems to read abit low.

//amullo

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use conductive grease on electrical connections (ground lugs, battery terminals, sensors, etc. , either graphite or silver, the silver will provide excellent thermal conduction as well as electrical, if that is needed. Remember dielectric grease is non conductive and should only be used on the outside of a connector to keep water out or to lube parts that need to come apart in the future (sparkplug boots, plastic connector bodies, etc). It may sound overly fussy, but I often use both conductive and dielectric grease on a connector, one on the inside and the other on the outside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts