Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all these nutters stuffing Testastretta Evos into 916s, I figure it's about time I counter with a 2v SBK project.

No, I'm not chopping up my bike. This is a scratchbuild project I am collaborating on. In fact, if the first one goes well, it might end up being two - I have another conspirator who has been talking about doing the same sort of project for a while.

Don't try and convince us not to do it. We are all crazy enough to make it happen, and boy do we want to make it happen. We all wet ourselves whenever we see a Radical project or a NCR build. I love me some 4Vs but I have ridden some gobstonking 2Vs and I love the idea of a lightweight, simplified, torque-addled superbike with under 100hp for street riding.

Anyhoo, I wanted to throw the idea out there and get some feedback. I am thinking 916 series frame and swingarm with a 900-1000 2v (ds1100 would be great but we don't want to spend more than 1500 on a complete engine. Tuning can come later if we want more power).

I know the basic issues - swingarm pivot needs machining, frame crossmember needs to be moved out of the way of the TBs. But I would like to hear from people who have done it/are doing it/know nutjobs like me who have done it.

I was looking at a 998 frame, and I was curious if the Kyalami style frame would clear the throttle bodies on a 2v... Or if its the same problem as a standard 748-916-996.

Another idea I had was to mount a 1098 monoposto subframe to a 916 frame, and use a stock 1098 tail assembly. How much work am I looking at to bolt them together?

So, start tossing ideas and opinions around freely... I want to build up a strong concept in my head before I start spinning wrenches.

My basic theme will be one-model running gear and frame to maintain simplicity. So 916 frame, swingarm, suspension, wheels, brakes, controls, etc. No mixing and matching disparate stuff to complicate things, outside of the motor of course.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know, I've seen that one for sale... Problem is we are looking at around 10k in parts as it is, and that is budgeting 1500ish for a motor.

Does the DS have any advantages for mounting? I have heard certain swingarms will fit without modification vs the older engines. Personally I would be willing to spend more on the motor if I know it saves me some cutting and shutting work further on.

I REALLY dislike the idea of chopping and rewelding the frame in any way. To me that is an instant death sentence for a bike. I would like to find a way around it if I can.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
This one was in a 999R frame with swingarm mounted. No modifications required to the frame or swingarm at all. I only had to have some custom swingarm pivot plates made that centered the swingarm pivot because it is offset normally. Those were around $40 to give you an idea of how simple it was.

Not sure about mounting it to a 998 style frame though. I know the motor mounts are correct, but I'm not sure about the swingarm. I can measure the case if that helps your efforts.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I've tinkered with this idea for a lightweight track bike you could toss around on the street. Interested to see how this turns out. Good luck with the project, def post up picks as you build.:D

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you could give me a quick measurement across the swingarm pivot I'd appreciate it. I'll compare to the width of my 916 crankcase and I'll have a better idea.

Looking at a Kyalami frame, I don't think it makes any difference in the TB interference issue. The cross brace is lower at the top but still occupies the same space below. Might even be worse than a standard 916 frame.

The way I look at it I would think that there must be a way to move the throttle body away from the brace, rather than the other way round. To me that would make much more sense! A longer intake runner or something like that.

Anybody know if a 1098 subframe will bolt to a 916?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here's a small update, a possible change of plan.

We've decided that buying a complete donor bike and parting out what we don't need is the most economical way. There are a couple of clean 748s locally for around the 6k mark.

I, however, have suggested a totally different route. There is a decent looking 900SS/CR nearby. Highish mileage but looks to be in good shape. We would take that, sell the 904 and slot in the DS1100 with a complete conversion to EFI. Then we'd have waay more cash free to upgrade the suspension, wheels, and brakes. I envision a naked SS with a sportclassic tail (maybe a gas tank too?) and monster-style headlamp. A proper modern cafe racer. It would cost a lot less than a desmodue SBK and it would be much easier - straight swap for the mill, and converting to EFI is just a matter of getting the wiring, controls, fuel pump, TBs and airbox.

So, we shall see. It's up to the fellow who is paying for this which direction we will take. I like the modernized SS idea myself, much more straightforward.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,884 Posts
Buying donor bikes and parting the extras is the ticket, but I think you were on the right track before. You need a superbike frame and a 2V motor, so buy a 748/749 and a whatever 2V suits you.

Before I built my 996 motor track bike, I was eyeing a similar project--DS motor in my leftover 748 frame and running gear. I also wanted to use 916 track fairings without the lowers to expose the motor like the old SS/CR's--maybe the Sharkskinz front fairing that extends a bit lower.

In any case, good luck with the build.

·
Bon Vivant
11,582 Posts
So here's a small update, a possible change of plan.

We've decided that buying a complete donor bike and parting out what we don't need is the most economical way. There are a couple of clean 748s locally for around the 6k mark.

I, however, have suggested a totally different route. There is a decent looking 900SS/CR nearby. Highish mileage but looks to be in good shape. We would take that, sell the 904 and slot in the DS1100 with a complete conversion to EFI. Then we'd have waay more cash free to upgrade the suspension, wheels, and brakes. I envision a naked SS with a sportclassic tail (maybe a gas tank too?) and monster-style headlamp. A proper modern cafe racer. It would cost a lot less than a desmodue SBK and it would be much easier - straight swap for the mill, and converting to EFI is just a matter of getting the wiring, controls, fuel pump, TBs and airbox.

So, we shall see. It's up to the fellow who is paying for this which direction we will take. I like the modernized SS idea myself, much more straightforward.
hmmm where have I seen a bike like that...

Oh yeah

I think it's been done :think:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shhhh...

The difference between a SC and this project - I didn't build the SC. :D

SBK project is definitately cooler though.

hmmm where have I seen a bike like that...

Oh yeah

I think it's been done :think:

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,884 Posts
Nice, but I'd go a little lower with the front fairing and no belly pan at all.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
JEC, have a look at my project. You will find some interesting pictures for yours that may help you. Use google translator to read the messages, they´re German.

Projekt Kotname: Pillermann - Seite 8

It depends which motor you´re getting. The 2008 1100 Hypermotard 1100DS has a pick up where the cross brace of a 999 frame connects. That will cause you a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts