Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of a Desmo Times '98 ST2 Voltage Regulator Plate (the plate is used to relocate the voltage regulator on the '98 ST2)
Anybody has a picture of this plate already installed on the bike? I can't understand in the place of what curved plate it's mounted!
Also, makes any difference?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
You should already have a version of this plate on your machine. It's mounted to the bottom of the lower tripple-tree. In front of and above the radiator. I thought it acted as an air-foil to route more air thru the radiator, but Ducati has it listed as a mud-guard.

I believe you could mount your RR to the exsisting one, with the addition of a hole , gommet - or- two. Or by the fancy one to replace the OEM one. Oh, you'll probably be lengthening wires, or re-routing them at a minimum. And don't forget, this plate MOVES with the steering, so you have to provide a decent "service relief loop" when routing. ALSO BE SURE to provide a decent GROUND to this beast. I'd sure would NOT want
30 Amps running thru my steering-head-bearings!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can't see it being a mud-guard with the fender directly below it.

vgv21, nothing attaches to the curved part, I think it is only there to disappate heat? The flat section attaches to the lower triple clamp, and the voltage regulator is attached to the bottom.

The purpose of the plate is to put the voltage regulator in a place that receives greater airflow, and thus reduce the operating temperature of the regulator, improving reliability. I've not had any problems with my regulator, so it's either working or unnecessary, not sure which.

·
Registered
209 Posts
+1 on erict. for sure the vr works by making heat so any help to carry the heat away can not hurt. the d'times plate is aluminum and has a better heat transfer rate than steel.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The exsisting plate on the ST's is Aluminum. You'd just be spending $$$ for artwork/additional slots in this plate... it's a black anodized Al. plate... greatfor heat conduction. Drill some mounting holes in your's and go for it.

Note: it also makes a cool place to mount "stealth" driving lights. Just make sure the lights are less than 1.7" from the mounting surface. Worked for me...

·
Registered
209 Posts
not to sure there is a flat area large enough to mount the vr on. it is also much thinner than d'times part and might be prone to fatigue cracking. for sure it is worth taking a look at.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure there's no plate on my bike. The VR is mounted on it's original location as seen in the picture below. There's nothing attached to the fork (that moves with it).
Anyway, I'm looking for a good place/solution to relocate the regulator (didn't wanted to do it but it seems it's worth it). Is there a tutorial for this?
Is it a good place under the seat, under the front fork, in the airbox, etc? What about the eventual water wetting the wires of the VR?

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
try under the handle bars and control section item #35. also there are some pics and a write up on the desmotimes web site. on the dt part there is a flat section under the lower triple tree and projecting forward where the vr mounts. this area is lacking in the factory deflector. i suppose you could use the factory part as a template and bend some aluminum to make your own, adding a forward section to mount the vr and then transfer the mount & vr holes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
VGV21, why not email LT and ask his opinion? I've found him to be very helpful ........and it is one of his parts so I am sure he could help you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hm, it's there!
DR1445: That's it, adding a forward section!!! I was just thinking were to put the VR. Thanks for that idea!
But would't the vibration damage the VR, or the movement (left/right) damage the wires coming out the VR?
P.S.: Who is LT?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not gonna use LT's plate, but a copper one. I think it'll do a better job, plus it's free, just some DIY, just hope it doesn't hit the fairing or else with that front extension.
I'll be back with the results.
Thanks a lot for the replies!

·
Registered
209 Posts
the only drawback in using copper in this application is it is not a very stiff material. it might flap around some due to vibs. no doubt it will work, just a word of caution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts