Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Where can I find any video or photos which is telling complete DESMO Service for 2013 MTS 1200 Pikes Peak.
It is soon time for it and I would try to do it myself.Even I m not a mechanich:frown2:
I could not really find something here on this forum.

thanks a lot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,
Where can I find any video or photos which is telling complete DESMO Service for 2013 MTS 1200 Pikes Peak.
It is soon time for it and I would try to do it myself.Even I m not a mechanich:frown2:
I could not really find something here on this forum.

thanks a lot.
I just did mine with the help of my buddy Tony and he did a good writeup. Here are a couple links that might help:

Belts & Valves | Ducati MTS1200 Forum
Home

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
CessnaTPA Did a full write up years ago. You should be able to search for it or ask him.

t_bare

·
Registered
512 Posts
I’m a pretty good mechanic. With the exception of the fork oil change which was done under warranty due to a seal leak, I did my complete desmo 15k mile service over last winter. Not to be discouraging but that’s a lot to bite off if you don’t have much mechanical experience. IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m a pretty good mechanic. With the exception of the fork oil change which was done under warranty due to a seal leak, I did my complete desmo 15k mile service over last winter. Not to be discouraging but that’s a lot to bite off if you don’t have much mechanical experience. IMO.
I m still not sure if l start to jump to desmo:(.looks quite scary.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It wasn't that bad for me, but I have a lot of non-Ducati experience. I took my time, literally weeks to piddle at it over the winter.

But one inevitably runs into things that not being a mechanic may mess you up. Dropping something down into the engine, knowing how to not score a gasket surface, dealing with the very, very tight quarters vertical cylinder side spark plug, understanding the valve train and having experience "feeling" feeler gauges, etc. You can plan on the oil filter plate bolts stripping, so you have to know how to deal with that, etc.

I have a lift, all the torque wrenches, all the normal tools. After finding that even the one from a popular service guy did not fit, I made my own cam lock tool. You can get away without this, but it makes it a lot easier.
So, not trying to scare you off, as I enjoyed the savings and the knowledge that it was done right. But it is far from a trivial service.

example tool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts