Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking for a Desmo Owners Club to join around me, I noticed immediately that there is not a club in sight within 60 miles of Baltimore.

Speed's Cycle closed (at least as a Ducati dealership), much to the chagrin of a ton of people, I'm sure. So now there really isn't a shop near Baltimore, dedicated to Ducati. There's Battley Cycle, a Ducati/HD/BMW/etc shop in Gaithersburg, quite a ways from Baltimore, and Pete's Cycle in Baltimore just acquired Speed's Cycle's Ducati franchise, but they have all the Japanese and Triumph, so the DOC would have to probably include many other makes if that shop became home base.

My plan now is to speak with Donnie Unger at Ducpond Motorsports/Ducati Winchester in Virginia and request to base a DOC at his fantastic Duc shop.

Any interest guys in helping start a DOC in Maryland/Virginia?

I was thinking of calling it Ducatisti of Maryland and Virginia (DMV).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did Speed's really close? Last time I was there, which wasn't that long ago, they were talking of adding MV Agusta to their lineup.

To answer your question: maybe. There is a Mid-Atlantic Ducati Club (MAD), and they run track days out of VIR a few times a year.

http://www.mad-ducati.com/TopicsMainNew.php

Ducpond is a fantastic dealer, but a good hop from the Baltimore area. I am in the DC area and it is still about 1.5 hours, which I gladly travel to go there for service.

EDIT: I see that you mean Speed's didn't close down, but stopped selling Ducati.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Speed's closed the dealership, which included MV Agusta and Moto Guzzi, and is now only a repair shop.

Yes, I've been checking out MAD but I guess I've never found enough information, as their website has always been a little lacking, or maybe its the events, rides, etc. I know a few people who "belong" and speaking highly of MAD however.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes their website it lacking on content. I think if you are a member you get on an email list with more frequent rides and meet ups. I am not a member, so I am not sure.

Ducpond already is partnered with MAD, so I am not sure that Donnie will be looking for anything else.

Battley is okay, but not as Ducati pure and Ducpond.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good, so MAD does have events, or rides, etc??
MAD was founded in 1998. I am one of the founding members. The first meetings were at Battley's. The Club evolved over time with the bulk of the membership being in the VA, DC and MD with the MD and VA membership mostly from around the DC area. I live north of Balto so I got my monthly ride in before I got to the meeting place to begin the Club ride.
Great club, lots of good information and help available when you need it. Donnie Unger and his Duc Pond have become the go-to place for service and parts. Donnie is very active in our track day meets which are tons of fun and food.
My main attachment to the Club these days is doing track days (I've become a track day junkie in my retirement).
I saw one of your posts with the ad for the 888 SPO. I have #28 and our Club pres has #34. Lots of good stuff in the Club membership and at our track days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just learned last night that Pete's Cycle in Baltimore will be the Ducati dealer since Speed's no longer sells the brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts