Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Got myself a 2011 MTS S version with 17k miles. So far so good except for these issues

1. surging at low rpm - may look into fatduc to solve this
2. buffeting at high speed - may look into touring screen to replace the pp now
3. this happened today. while riding a low speed, the bike prompts an error that says DES Device Error and then the engine DIED. I stop and restart the engine and start moving. It died again not far from where I first stop with the same error. This happened for a couple of times. I played around with the riding mode and preload setting and managed to ride my way back home. I realised that some of the peeps here encountered the DES error but their bike did not die on them. I have a trip coming up over the weekend and this is worrying. Just wanna hear your opinion before I bring the bike to the dealer tomorrow.
Not sure whether this is relevant to the error but I installed a Scottoiler a few minutes before the ill luck happened.

Send some positive vibes to a new ducatisti here. :nerd:

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Seems like some think it's related to the battery. Given the year of your bike, is the battery in good shape and have you tried disconnecting the battery, reconnecting it and riding around to see if you can replicate the issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem at my 2011multi. But I can't restart a bike, because fuse 15A "Key sense" is broken, this is the positive wire for all electronic control unit in bike. Ohlins ECU is not a durable and broken with a strong smell, resistance between positive and negative terminals is 0 Ohm. I changed broken control unit and installed a Semiactive Ohlins upgrade control unit. Now my bike handling really better than earler))

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hmm,,, interesting. I've gotten the DES error and my engine didn't die. I'm not sure why the DES would cause the engine to die. I bet you fuqed something up installing the scott oiler. No good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it turns out (i think) was that the battery was bloated, probably due to incorrect charging. The bike had a lithium ion by the previous owner. I guess that screwed the electronics up. Did a fault check and turns out nothing also.

Changed to a normal Yuasa and it was fine. Went to a long trip over the weekend and I realised that the MTS dislike rain or water for that matter. My gear position went crazy and I lost my 6th and Neutral gear in the LCD screen. I guess the Gear position sensor is toast.
Another casualty of the torrential rain was the buttons on the left side to operating the menu became unresponsive. It became ok after almost 2 days. Guess I have to slap on a condom over the switches!

Is the gear positon sensor an expensive fix?

Cheers

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well it turns out (i think) was that the battery was bloated, probably due to incorrect charging. The bike had a lithium ion by the previous owner. I guess that screwed the electronics up. Did a fault check and turns out nothing also.

Changed to a normal Yuasa and it was fine. Went to a long trip over the weekend and I realised that the MTS dislike rain or water for that matter. My gear position went crazy and I lost my 6th and Neutral gear in the LCD screen. I guess the Gear position sensor is toast.
Another casualty of the torrential rain was the buttons on the left side to operating the menu became unresponsive. It became ok after almost 2 days. Guess I have to slap on a condom over the switches!

Is the gear positon sensor an expensive fix?

Cheers
I spray my switches radar detector etc with silicone spray, I've been out in some very heavy rain for hours, and never had any electric problems. One earlier radar detector i had, said water proof, but after 2 hours of heavy wet riding, it went haywire. i dried it out in the hot water cupboard, then sprayed it with silicone spay, and it then handled wet weather riding. Silicone spray is great on the plastics also, water and crud beed off. (for awhile)

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
I, like others, have been in some sketchy rain but electronics never failed and kept on trucking. Mine is a 2012 and never say any problems besides the coolant recall. I have an OE DES ECU if you ever have another error. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts