Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I just purchased a 2010 Multi touring edition and what an amazing bike this is! But within a week of owning the bike, up popped the dreaded DES pre-load error along with a new error code that I can not find any info on and it will not clear. The code is DES 97000. I took it to the dealer and had the ECU checked and flashed which cleared the pre load error for a short time but did nothing with the 97000 error. The head mechanic got involved and called his Ducati rep and the rep told him its the code for a 97000 mile service!?!? Here's the catch, there's no 97000 mile service and the bike only has a verified 26,000 miles. This made the head mechanic scratch his head and say he has no clue on the 97000 error and the Ducati rep was zero help as well. Any advice on this would be appreciated...

On the pre load error, the mechanic told me it was a bad shock unit and purchasing a new shock would solve this problem. I should have had him put his $ where his mouth was because $500 dollars later and a new shock installed the error came back after a few more days. The dealer re-flashed the comp again but it did nada to fix the prob. They then tried a different ECU and now say that's my prob. I think I am going to buy an Ohlins ecu and see if that solves the pre-load error but I am still stuck with the 97000 error. My guess would be the error has something to do with the bad ECU but I wont know for sure until I can get and install the Ohlins ecu...

Thanks in advance for the help,
Greg

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I've never heard of the 97000 code. I have a hard time believing that the ECU is the problem. AFAIK, the ECU doesn't communicate with the SCU. The dash does the interactions with the SCU. I replaced my SCU with the Ohlins semi-active upgrade. With that said, I believe I still have the original SCU lying around here. Send me a PM if you are interested in trying swapping out your SCU. It is a pretty easy task to install and doesn't require being hooked up to the shop's computer or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never heard of the 97000 code. I have a hard time believing that the ECU is the problem. AFAIK, the ECU doesn't communicate with the SCU. The dash does the interactions with the SCU. I replaced my SCU with the Ohlins semi-active upgrade. With that said, I believe I still have the original SCU lying around here. Send me a PM if you are interested in trying swapping out your SCU. It is a pretty easy task to install and doesn't require being hooked up to the shop's computer or anything of the sort.
Hi T-bills, I might have mis-stated this. I called the SCU an ECU but I was referring to the unit under the seat on the left side of the bike. Its the same unit as the one you exchanged the Ohlins SCU for. Sending you a PM now. Love to give a good unit a shot before I shell out any more cash on the Ohlins unit trying to hunt for/fix the problem. I hope exchanging this will get rid of the 97000 code as well as the des pre load error, and if not, at least I've eliminated that part.

So they told you they cannot fix it? Hopefully you did not have to pay for an unneeded new shock? All this is adding up to a dealership that I would no longer trust. Unacceptable!
They didn't say they can't fix it but they also have no clue what the 97000 code represents. They did tell me that exchanging the shock would fix the pre-load error but obviously they were totally wrong. I did pay for a unneeded new shock but I can still sell it and recoup some of my cash. Believe me I lost a lot of faith in their ability to diagnose any future problems after this.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
A dealership that can't tell you what an error code and blindly replaces parts is not much of a shop. I can throw parts at broken stuff all day long. That's why I take it to somebody when I can't figure it out. I hope they at least didn't charge you for labor given then didn't fix anything. I hope the SCU takes care of it all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's basically what I told them when I picked the bike up from them.

I am now looking for a reliable dealer in the LA area who wont jerk my chain.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Ohlins SCU is a very worthy upgrade Greg, well worth purchasing. remember before exchanging any SCU, your meant to disconnect you battery to earth cable before hand. hey good luck getting it sorted.

Reactions: Multi-Duc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the actual code I am getting is Ducati Service 97000. I have an email out to Ducati but it looks like they just added me to the newsletter and no one answered my request for information on the Ducati Service 97000. I did get a newer SCU and will install that asap in hopes that it will clear the code but if anyone has any info on the 97000 code please let me know. Love to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure what dealer you went to however I recently had a great experience with Bert's Mega Mall. They have a giant service operation that services their equally giant retail mall. In September I was on a long cross country trip from Vancouver and needed a scheduled service on short notice. I was treated really well and got out of there spending a lot less than I thought I would.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what dealer you went to however I recently had a great experience with Bert's Mega Mall. They have a giant service operation that services their equally giant retail mall. In September I was on a long cross country trip from Vancouver and needed a scheduled service on short notice. I was treated really well and got out of there spending a lot less than I thought I would.
Hi NorthshoreJor, I appreciate the info on Bert's. I'm about an hour away from them so it may be an option but I think I am going to try the Duc dealer in Glendale and see how they are before going that far for a service. Glad they were able to get you going right away. That says a lot for their service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts