Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I had my 06 s1000 serviced by goldcoast recently (I have to find a new dealer) and they denied me a fuel tank replacement. This would be the third or 4th tank (I can't remember which) replaced for expansion. The right side of the tank has bowed out enough that I smack my hand (while on the throttle) against the tank on right turns. According to the head of service my tank had not deformed sufficiently to warrant replacement and they installed a new "shim kit" (second one the bike has had) and sent me on my way.

I don't have any paint damage other than that caused by the expansion pushing against the ducati accessory tank bag (which they say doesn't count because it is an accessory), and there is no other point of contact for the tank other than my hand (there is enough room to slip a piece of paper between the bar and the tank).

one of the reasons cited to me by goldcoast was some new standards ducati had for determining whether the tank is "replacement worthy" or not. He couldn't tell me what they were but just said that ducati rejected replacing my tank.

anybody get this run around? am I being taken for a sucker by a dealer giving poor customer service?

WTF?

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's been reported by a local dealer that we are now only getting 1 tank replacement... For many of us our time runs out soon as the suit was settled and my 5 yrs ran out. I believe the extension of the warranty is 5 yrs or 12-18 months after the suit was settled.

That's the cost of ownership, welcome to the club; ain't it cool?! And my pals wonder why I'm never buying another one... I did want to add I hear this is a KTM and Aprilia issue as well and they are not addressing it (so I hear from the Ducuti shop folks). I did fight a tank back on an Aprilia the other week at my friends shop.

Point is we need to start voting the assholes out in Congress, House and White House who have profited from this BS. If you've not bothered to write your representatives about this issue please at least see where they stand on Ethanol and Ethanol fuels and vote this year.

·
Registered
465 Posts
From how I understand it, and I may be wrong, it's nothing out of the dealer's pocket if Ducati covers the tank replacement. So if they're turning you down I would be inclined to suspect that Ducati is telling them to tell you "no".

Maybe it's time to bring this issue to the attention of Ducati's new bosses (Audi).

I see it less as an Ethanol issue and more as a tank material issue for Ducati itself. The debate on whether ethanol fuel is a good idea or not encompasses issues that reach very far beyond our tank-warping issue. Demanding congressional action due to it's effect on a few motorcycle tanks sounds a little silly and will not, and probably should not, garner much attention from any government official.

The message became clear with the insulting BS class action suit settlement. Ducati already has our money from the bikes and they estimate that the negative impact in customer satisfaction from even a large portion of their customers having fuel tanks slowly ruined over time by ethanol fuel is not worth the cost to fix it. That pretty much places them in the realm of "worst business people in the world" for me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ya know, I really like my s2r1000 and I'm onto my second tank. I don't know if I have the loyalty and patience to dick around with a third or fourth tank if this one goes, and I know it will eventually. I'm hoping somehow Ducati/Audi will man up and provide us with a permanent fix and allow me to keep this bike in my garage for many years without too much hassle. I'm only into the cafe styled bikes and there are other manufacturers out there right now.....

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
286 Posts
I washed my hands free of the company for a while now. Make no mistake about it, we are stuck and Audi isn't going to do shit fellas. I hope they make a great comeback with the 1199 and want the best for the Marque but I'll never buy another new Ducati.
They can kiss my ass and choke on the rest of the warranties they'll be covering. I've tried to talk several friends out of the "club", two of them are stuck with shitbox tanks now... Why anyone would want to buy one of these things now is beyond me. But the prices keep going up, thank God maybe I'll get out when the going is good for a change.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Agent 86, Ducati did you a disservice by not providing a permanent fix to the tank issue, but also did you a favor by ceasing production of the SCs just before the Cafe craze went Nova, thus giving you a means to get out while minimizing your loss.

I know the pain, since my former S4RS lost one tank to expansion. I took a significant hit when I traded it in for my current ride (aluminum tank), but couldn't wait to get away from that tank nightmare. I had the replacement coated but had no faith the fix was permanent.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Demanding congressional action due to it's effect on a few motorcycle tanks sounds a little silly and will not, and probably should not, garner much attention from any government official.
I agree no elected official in his right mind is going to care that much about our tanks, but it's not just us who are affected. The Great Ethanol Scam

Boat owners and other power sport enthusiasts are having similar problems, and there have been growing reports of cars needing expensive fuel system repairs due to increased ethanol. And for what? Ethanol lowers gas mileage, increases smog, and is net power loser (Turning corn into fuel uses more energy than the resulting ethanol generates.) And then there's the colateral affect of artificially raising food costs.

So ethanol costs us more money (lower mileage, repair costs, higher grocery bill, and tax funded subsidies), and is worse for our machines and the environment. It hasen't help ween us off foreign oil; in fact, since the ethanol mandate our consumption of foreign oil has increased.

There's no rational reason I can surmise to continue using it. It's only purpose is to line the pockets of King Corn and ethanol producers. It wouldn't survive in a free market and it only survives because of huge lobbies and congressmen who are easily bought.

I agree with Maxwellsmart. Political action is needed. Contact your representatives and let them know this an important issue. If they don't act, vote them out.

Sorry to threadjack:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Worse case scenario you by a new tank and have it coated. The tanks are 1/2 the original cost now, so not too bad. I love my GT and would buy a new tank in a second if that was my only choice, but yes the whole tank issue does suck.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Try a different dealer. Ducati is still replacing tanks, and in fact seems quite eager to do so for now. Guessing this dealer is giving you the run around OR they have a not great relationship with DNA.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Worse case scenario you by a new tank and have it coated. The tanks are 1/2 the original cost now, so not too bad. I love my GT and would by a new tank in a second if that was my only choice, but yes the whole tank issue does suck.
Quick amateur question about the coating: Is it clear or must you paint after the coating, and where can you get this done? And what is the coating called specifically?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Quick amateur question about the coating: Is it clear or must you paint after the coating, and where can you get this done? And what is the coating called specifically?
The coating goes on the inside ;) Caswell is the one most people use, though my dealer did one by 3M which is a silver color. JC on the forum here can do Caswell for you if not your dealer. You'll have to pay for it in any event, even with a warranty tank.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my last tank replacement was before the lawsuit was settled. My 5 year from date of purchase ends next month. My dealer told me I have a 6 year warranty from the date of the settlement as per the settlement, is that not the case?

my dealer is telling me that the new tanks come pre-lined. I am guessing this is also not true.

I used to have a great repore with this dealer, but since buying this bike they have turned into an absolute nightmare.

I have only ridden this bike 3800 miles because the tank issue has impeded my enjoyment of the bike. the first tank expanded so much that it interfered with the bars and the dealer solution was to adjust the stops so much I couldn't make a u-turn in the street if I wanted to. this time around they literally told me to suck it up and deal with my hand hitting the tank in right turns. I can't ride a bike where every time I turn the bars something is either decreasing my turning radius or causing me (very very minor) physical injury.

I am never again buying a new ducati product. ever. but with this bike I thought I was going to keep it for 20 years

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Wow that does sound more like shit service from Gold Coast, a lot of times son's taking over business from dad can ruin the family reputation fast.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
This sounds a lot more like a problem with the specific dealer than with Ducati as a whole, at least as far as the attitude you are getting goes. You have to remember that dealers are independent, not franchises like say a McDonalds. Ducati the company has little to no control over the individual dealers. So I would try another one before you write off the brand as a whole.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bret is indeed Steven's son and honestly I think he would rather be doing just about anything else than be the service manager. But then again when you are a 40+ year old white dude with 2 foot long dreadlocks I can imagine your employment options are rather limited.

This isn't a case of Bret taking over, Steven is one of the owners and I am pretty sure when his time comes he is going to die in that back office. I have always had a great repore with Steven (I've known him for at least a decade, maybe longer), when I worked for vespa I was in his dealership often helping him move unsold scooter stock. He gave me a great deal on the bike and I actually had no complaints with the sale and the financing. I tried complaining to him once about Bret and all I got was this look that pretty much said "he's family, what do you want me to do?" and so I left it.

One of my close friends is the parts manager there, he has physically walked my bike in and told them take care of me, and still same old service. I may not be high level industry but I am industry none the less and still every time I need something serviced it is like the can't set fire to my bridge fast enough. The only other game in town is Whitey at Formula 1 - the same whitey who doesn't give his own employees a break on anything they buy from him and still charges them PDI even if they are a service tech. Ducati manhattan just reopened but considering the miles long list of horror stories from the old place I am reluctant to go anywhere near the new place.

I am not spending one freaking cent on a plastic ducati tank. These a-holes sold a defective product and the best they could do was offer me this weak ass warranty, well I am owed one more freaking tank and I am going to get it come hell or high water. If I am going to spend for a tank I am going to get a metalsmith to make me one in alloy. Ducati gets NO MORE OF MY MONEY the scumbags.

I have a friend in red hook, brooklyn who was a duc tech and opened his own shop, does amazing work and has all the computer tools but he can't replace tanks so I am stuck having to go to a dealer to get a tank.

Does anybody have contact info for someone at DNA that I could talk to? anybody have any success going this route?

Also, anybody know where I can look at the terms of the settlement? I figure as long as I am going to be bound by the settlement I should know what's in there.....

Thinking of heading up to Rockwell cycles. Someone recommended them to me and I have only heard positive things. Anybody have any experence with them?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I to would also like to know where I could see the term of the settlement. I bought an 07 SC1000s back in March of this year. So far I don't see any tank problems but the bike had only 1409 miles on it and I don't know what type of gas they put in it. Luckily for me there is a pump with ethanol free gas where I live and quite a few where I ride in the north Ga mountains. I always try to put this gas in and when I have it sitting in the garage I always make sure it has ethanol free gas in it.

I am just curious how this settlement affects those of us who purchased these bikes used. I don't know if my bike has had a new tank or not. I guess I will have to get the Ducati dealer to check on this for me.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I've been sitting on the sidelines because of the tank issue. I want a new/late model distance bike and since they are not going to bring out a new ST type, Ive been looking at the Multi and I'm assuming it has a plastic tank.

Have they changed materials in the newer models/years?

Are other manufacturers having the same issues, ie BMW, Honda, Yamaha or Triumph?

bob

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Start the revolution! Vote with your wallet! Use Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada to locate ethanol-free stations in your area and shop there exclusively. They have an Iphone app for those so inclined. I received credit cards for several local card-lock dealers that supply ethanol-free gas and shop there exclusively. Tell your congressman that you think ethanol is nonsense and that you are promoting it's boycott.

pg
DD

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
If I did that I would be walking....

In the DFW metroplex all fuels must have alcohol per EPA.

I imagine all major cities are the same.

Wish I could, though....

bob

1 - 20 of 49 Posts