Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the benefits of running Keihins over the stock Mikunis has been discussed at great length on this board, but I am curious as to whether the Dellorto's are a decent step up from the Mikunis?

The cost of getting a Keihin kit here in OZ is close to $1500 Aud, whereas the Dellorto's seem to be priced a little cheaper, though I presume you have to factor Intake manifolds, plus throttle assembly etc into the cost, they still come out a ahead price wise, but are they worth the hassle?

Looking for some thoughts and feedback on the Dellorto setup, has anyone done it, are they happy with the result, are they a pain to work on, get parts for,are split carbs a nightmare???

Hoping to avoid comments of "just save up and get the Keihins" etc etc...

Cheers - jj

·
Registered
155 Posts
Haven't done it myself, but entertained the idea a few years ago (sorry!). Corresponded with a dutch guy who'd done it, and was quite happy with the results. He sent me some pics, which I'll try and find if it helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha gents you are a funny lot...... alas getting the sign off from the Minister of Finance in the household is proving quite difficult, and I will need my liver working over the festive season, maybe Santa will treat me this year...

Still open to peoples thoughts on the Dellorto's.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think you can contact brad Black and see if he will taper bore your stock carbs.
I had Doug Lofgren do mine( he no longer does them)

best BANG for the buck IMHO

you will get more top end out of FCR's ...but lets face it these are 900's not 1198's

My .02

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think you can contact brad Black and see if he will taper bore your stock carbs.
I had Doug Lofgren do mine( he no longer does them)

best BANG for the buck IMHO

you will get more top end out of FCR's ...but lets face it these are 900's not 1198's

My .02
As much as I'm into getting the most out of the stock parts I think it's just throwing money away that you could put towards the FCR's. As you are in Sydney there are no cold starting excuses not to change to FCR's. I think the Dellortos would take some work to get sorted and the FCR's work out of the box pretty much.

Go and read over Chris Kellys FCR info a few times. http://www.ducatitech.com/ducatitech/2v/fcr_faq.html
I had already commited to FCR's before I bought my 93 based on the problems the previous owner had.

The FCR's work and there is a big user base to help with any problems you might strike. If you haven't pulled the trigger in a few months your welcome to take my bike for a ride when it gets to Sydney next year.

·
Registered
570 Posts
FYI My Taper Bores were half the cost and it accelerates way faster than FCR...in Roll ons I get the jump every time and after several bike lengths the FCR's catch up. On the Canyons (ACH / Hwy 2) I ride that means FCR are playing catch up.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
FYI My Taper Bores were half the cost and it accelerates way faster than FCR...in Roll ons I get the jump every time and after several bike lengths the FCR's catch up. On the Canyons (ACH / Hwy 2) I ride that means FCR are playing catch up.

You would need an objective base FCR bike to say that. I know rolling on I had a hesitation with the FCR's that was solved by lifting the needle one position. AS Chris Kelly says 70% of the guys using FCR's are so happy out of the box that they just leave the Carbs where they were out of the box. I think it's a bold statement that you could accelerate faster than any FCR bike. You need lots of data points to say that with confidence.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Running DellOrto's now

For what it is worth. I just finished a 10 month restoration on a 1991 900SS Carby. I wanted to do a period correct restoration. I went with the 40 mil Dell Orto's with Malossi Filter pods. After the restoration, high compression pistons, and degreeing the cams, the bike is producing just over 100 HP. Pulls strong to through the range with no flat spots. The dyno speaks for itself. Getting the parts for the Dell Orto's was not an issue. I ordered floats, needles and seats, and numerous pilot and main jets from the following website. Eurocarb the parts came in 10 days or so and were all in new packaging. Keihin's are probably easier to deal with, but the Dell Orto's work very well and the bike is a pleasure to ride. You just need to understand how to do carb work, have some patience, and be willing put in the time to get them right. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Madduc for the comprehensive reply, that's kind of what I was looking for. Really appreciate the advice, and hope you are riding the heck out of your bike after working on her restoration!

P.s Is that a Stradafab Pipe? - you really should share a youtube clip of it!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
we fitted some to a 90 900ss many years ago, before i knew anything. must have been a malossi kit. apparantly it ran fine.

they have pumps and chokes. the only issue is the slides can stick on the overrun. i think i've only ever seen guzzi lm1000 do that. or maybe i've been told about it, not actually seen it. dunno now. but you often end up with heavy slide springs. back when the carby sport 1100 came out they had really heavy and long travel throttles. fcr are much lighter.

you can get everything for them, easily.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Don't know if it's relevant but I have (36mm) Dellortos on my Guzzi LeMans, they work fine but have a very long and very heavy action meaning you almost need 2 'bites' to get to full throttle, whereas the (41mm) FCRs on my Monster have an incredibly short action whilst not being too heavy (with a 916 throttle).

Obviously this is not a direct comparison as the two bikes are very different and the carbs a different size. Both carbs work well, both have accelerator pumps (the FCRs pump more), only the Dellortos have a choke for cold start although the FCRs are not too bad for cold starting (I'm in England so cold starting is the norm) but I would highly recommend FCRs on a Ducati because they work so well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stradafab exhuast

JJJ,

Yes that is a Stradafab exhaust, custom built for my 900. Here are a couple of pictures of the exhaust. Randy does great work, pipe flows very well, sounds good and he did a great job of making it look period correct. Here a few good pics

As for the carbs, they do have a slightly heavy throttle pull. If you decide to use them, let me know and I can tell you which jet sizes that I ordered. I ordered a 3 different sizes of mains and 2 different pilots. Glad to share any info on the build. The chokes are handy for cold starts! Let me know if you need any further info?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts