Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a new Rosso slapped on the front. Rode the 4 miles back to work and saw this...

Anyone ever seen anything like it? I'm trying to think how it might have happened post install and the best I could come up with is I was mid corner, locked the front and simultaneously slid over a razor blade. Though somehow I don't think I would have easily walked away were that the case.

I guess Pirelli quality control was on holiday for this one. Shop said they'll have a new one on Monday and replace it. Just glad I saw it before heading for the hills :eek:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had a 300+$ Komo do that on my old Escalade once. Although the cut was much deeper and a 2" section actually came off. Took it back and it was somewhat of a battle with the Komo rep but i did get a new free tire out of the deal in the end.

Just had a new Rosso slapped on the front. Rode the 4 miles back to work and saw this...

Anyone ever seen anything like it? I'm trying to think how it might have happened post install and the best I could come up with is I was mid corner, locked the front and simultaneously slid over a razor blade. Though somehow I don't think I would have easily walked away were that the case.

I guess Pirelli quality control was on holiday for this one. Shop said they'll have a new one on Monday and replace it. Just glad I saw it before heading for the hills :eek:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Looks like when the tire was removed from the plastic bag they used a razor blade. The small cut was the first attempt to cut the bag and it didn't work so the second cut was made stronger, much stronger. Anyway that's how it looks to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep looks like a blade cut for sure! Most likely from unpacking like previously stated. Pirelli wouldn't let that out of the factory.
Good thing you spotted it.
Once you have the new tyre and have a few miles clocked up I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Rosso' s.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd hate to think that my local independent shop would be so careless as to slice a tire while unpacking. They're good guys, have reasonable rates and are close enough that I could push the bike to them if I ever had to. I want to trust their work, but this is scary shit.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If that was by a razor... What kind of Moron is employed by who , and he shouldn't be allowed to handle sharp objects ...

You aren't having too good luck with tires this year are you ? Hope things like this don't happen in threes....FRIDAY THE THIRTEEHTH is coming up:D:DThe dealer might think you might be sabatoging them:D:D

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Looks like when the tire was removed from the plastic bag they used a razor blade. The small cut was the first attempt to cut the bag and it didn't work so the second cut was made stronger, much stronger. Anyway that's how it looks to me.
Yep looks like a blade cut for sure! Most likely from unpacking like previously stated. Pirelli wouldn't let that out of the factory.
Good thing you spotted it.
Once you have the new tyre and have a few miles clocked up I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Rosso' s.
Have to agree, looks like the work of some dumbass with a blade taking the wrapping off.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Looks like it froze and cracked, it happens during shipping/storing. Take it back to the dealer and get a new one.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I wonder if there is a date code on motorcycle tires ? There is one on car tires...

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
there is. Its a production date, julian date rather. Its on the tire, and it has a circle around it believe it would read like 25508, the 255th day of 08.
Actually, the date code is four digits, indicating the week and year, i.e. 2209...

In any case, there's no way that cut is from freezing. Sorry, Sean.

It's clearly a cut of some kind. Probably - but not 100% certainly - from someone mishandling a razor. Pirellis are distributed by Parts Unlimited, and all they put on the tires are plastic bands. Although it's possible somebody cut the bands on the actual tire tread, it's highly unlikely anyone is that stupid. But you never know.

It's also possible that could have happened on the road somehow.

How much faith do you have in the shop that sold the tire to you? They should have seen it if the cut was already on the tire, and said something right then and there. Anyway, try taking it back and see what they say...

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I've seen cracks from freezing and seen slices from a ultility knife - they look exactly the same. I agree that it's hard to imagine someone would slice a tire like that on purpose or accident - not to mention the secondary slice - so I'm sticking with it freezing and cracking.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've seen cracks from freezing and seen slices from a ultility knife - they look exactly the same. I agree that it's hard to imagine someone would slice a tire like that on purpose or accident - not to mention the secondary slice - so I'm sticking with it freezing and cracking.
Living in Vermont and keeping my bikes in an unheated garage with various spare tires and new tires lying around... I have never seen a tire crack from cold. If it did it would have to have been made of some seriously bad stuff.
Or maybe plastic rather than synthetic rubber.
I know cuts. I say it's a cut. And with the pattern, it did not happen while riding. There's my 0.03.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Living in Vermont and keeping my bikes in an unheated garage with various spare tires and new tires lying around... I have never seen a tire crack from cold. If it did it would have to have been made of some seriously bad stuff.
Or maybe plastic rather than synthetic rubber.
I know cuts. I say it's a cut. And with the pattern, it did not happen while riding. There's my 0.03.
You need to get out more then. They crack from freezing all the time - especially in a container on a ship. I've seen whole containers be trashed when they arrive in the US.

You can know cuts all you like, a cut wouldn't leave the same pattern in the sipe...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Then why is it a diagonal cut? A freeze crack (which it is not) should be singular and concentric from stacking.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Why would it be singular and concentric? The rubber will fracture like ice, it's not going to be a straight line. Call any of the tire guys and ask em, they'll tell you the same thing.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Why would it be singular and concentric? The rubber will fracture like ice, it's not going to be a straight line. Call any of the tire guys and ask em, they'll tell you the same thing.
I concur with MongoWERA. The pattern doesn't make sense for defective rubber. I've seen enough defective aviation tyres (Dunlop, Goodyear, Aviator etc) to know what to look. Tyres tend to shatter on the tread surface, seperation, deformation, contamination. I have also destroyed suspect tyres to prevent their use. This tyre looks pure and simple that it has been cut by some type of sharp surface eg: 1st thought is the removing of packaging, the 2nd is road FOD (Foreign Object Damage). I can probably count on one hand how many times I've had a tyre cut by something on the road surface in my years of riding. I wouldn't be making a big issue of this gentlemen. Shit happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts