Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer came up the side of a mountain...barely missed the lead rider...jumped up a rock face around me...back down for a second attempt in front of the following rider...a venison calamity...close call

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
It is of course impossible to stop a deer from jumping out of the brush in front of you but our family has a policy that if we see them in advance, we stop and let them make the crossing because some of them are dead set on committing suicide in the stupidest possible way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
As a friend calls them, they're just long legged rats!

Lucky miss there. I myself have avoided hitting any animals while on 2 wheels, though I've had plenty of close calls with a variety of wildlife. Got 3 close calls in 5 minutes on my birthday ride this year, the worst was the flock of turkeys hanging out in the middle of a corner! Got the front wheel to chatter on that one.

A coworker wasn't so lucky. Smacked a deer good and hard while on his Harley 3 months back. Despite being knocked out for a brief bit and having no memory of actually hitting the deer, he managed to get off with no broken bones. Bike, of course, was smoked, a healthy total.

Stay safe and rubber side down!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,842 Posts
Ok, big ass deer, why in heck were the dudes wearing suits????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
You do NOT want to hit a deer. Even a small one can mess you up.

I hit a small (70 or 80lb) yearling 10 years ago last July. I broadsided her at 50 to 55mph, highsided me and killed her. It was 6am, on the way to work.

My 900 Monster slid 70 yards on its right side and was still running on one cylinder when I woke up and crawled over to it 30 seconds later.

Like an idiot, I got up and kicked the steaming gut pile out of the way, stood the bike up and rode it home. I didn't know my back got broken when I rag-dolled down the road. I spent a week in the hospital, and was off work a total of 4 months.

Lesson to be learned here...we have the potential to get hurt a lot worse than we think when we fall off at speed.

My back was broken in 2 spots, my right hand had a broken bone, both sides of my jaw was broken, and my right kneecap was almost ripped off.

It was a slow ride home, 4 miles at 35-40mph. Wife drove me to the hospital.

Nurses at E.R. said I looked like a bear had mauled me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts