Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low speed fortunately probably 20mph or so and a small doe. I emerged unscathed, wasn't a terribly hard hit and a glancing one at that, was able to ride it out and pull over, park it roadside on the side stand with no issues. But I did litter the roadway with plastic faring parts. Nothing leaking. Here's what I can see so far:

- Front fender completely sheared in half, back half and mudguard barely attached, all sensor cords and brake lines look okay
- Lower fork fairings: rightside completely torn off, left side broke in half near top
- Intake beak slightly displaced where it comes together, the center seam.
- Oil cooler loose in mounting, hoses okay
- Radiator some minor scuff with micro denting at top left, all hoses okay, radiator maybe off level slightly but looks okay otherwise
- Lower painted (boomerang shaped) radiator and wind fairing on left side torn clean off
- MAP sensor for horizontal cylinder broke off at nipple (hose off broken nipple in hose end)
- Tail tidy (OEM) that holds license plate and turn signals torn clean off just below tail light.
- Left side pillion's footpeg is loose and rattles around in housing, can't figure out why as the peg/pannier strut assembly looks unbent/undamaged.

She was small and she darted low, I hit her around her head/neck/shoulders frontal area causing her right flanks to come around and rake down the left side of bike. Hit my leg but no damage (wearing overpants w/ knee armor). Cannot figure out how she took off the tail section from tail light back, although I might have spun her enough that her ass hit it. Headlights and above untouched. She went under the beak, no apparent evidence of a strike to the front tip of the beak.

After a few minutes laying stunned on the ground by a mailbox post she got up and hauled ass.

My initial feeling was of course goddammit my bike. But I consider myself lucky in the sense that I stayed up and was able to pull over and park normally.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,073 Posts
That sounds like a pretty hard hit from the damages. You were very lucky to stay up. Glad to hear it turned out that way.

It's that time of year to really watch for those suckers.

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Check your insurance policy. In California, and perhaps other States there's no insurance penalty for animal collisions.

So, if you crash (not collide with another vehicle) for any reason, tell the police and your insurance company that you tried to avoid/or hit an animal in the road. Called "dodging the squirrel."

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,423 Posts
I had this happen to me, too. I was a little more lucky in that I had no damage other than a bent pannier bracket which I was able to fix easily.

Deer suck. Just thank your fairy godmother that it wasn't a buck. I just saw a massive 8-10 pointer the other week. Now that would cause some serious damage.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Unfortunately, that is going to be thousands of dollars to repair. Still, I don't think it will be a write off unless there is more damage you haven't seen. Keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
5,260 Posts
Glad you're OK Bonaventure, strong riding keeping it under control. I had a deer hit the rear quarterpanel of my car in college and similarly it got up and bounded off after being briefly stunned.

Yeah sounds like several thousand in plastic, can't imagine your insurance won't cover it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
In Sept, I was on my way back home from Bear Tooth Pass and was coming into a very small town called Jackson, in Montana. I was cruising at 'bout 75 (BTW, the temp was 34!) and the speed limit sign for Jackson said 35. As I dropped 2 gears, slowing to about 50, I noticed movement to my right. I looked and it was Ms Bullwinkle, yes, a F'ing MOOSE, running to cross the road directly in front of me. I jumped on the brakes and realized I had plenty of room....Ms Bullwinkle was gonna cross in front of me w/15 yds room to spare.

As I watched her run across my lane, thinking 'Geez your BIG'....huge, in fact, I realized that the blind moron, in the SUV, going the other way, wasnt slowing and their vectors were gonna meet. The union was gonna happen about the time I was gonna be 5 yds in front of the SUV! Yup, a definite 'Ahhhh SHIIIIITTT' moment. The SUV center punched the moose.....dead F'ing center! Even with ear plugs, the noise was loud. And luckily for me, poor Ms Bullwinkle's momentum carried her away from me. She hit the center of the windshield and into the guard rail. It wasnt until I was 50 yds down the road I breathed. Poor moose!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yikes!!

Glad you're OK. This fawn cost me >$1200. Glancing blow which tore off the rt side hard bag & cracked the plastic under the tail piece. :surprise:

Attachments

·
Hammer Down
1,595 Posts
Your outcome was much better than what it could have been, congrats on making it home alive! We had a guy here die recently from being hit by a deer on his bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just moved to San Antonio last year. I live on the outskirts of the city and there are thousands of deer around here. There's one stretch of road I travel every morning on the way to work where I see AT LEAST three dead deer every week along the side of the road. When I leave for work each morning, it's still dark and I generally pass about the same little herd every day. Every time...butt pucker. Every time. I'm glad all of you are ok. Between the deer and near miss from the moose...and the horribly disturbing autopsy pics of the bike...it does make me stop and remember to slow down every morning.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A real hazard for sure!

The NEXT day I had a direct hit on my NEW Hypermotard. Ran straight out of the bushes and head first into my knee at night.

Hey!, check it out....I got a Vimeo to embed!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts