Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2016 MTS last Saturday. Went for a trip with my girlfriend from Seattle up to Nanaimo, B.C. in Canada. It was a great trip and I really fell in love with this bike. Did a short trip around Gabriola Island, which was beautiful. The end of the trip wasn't so great though.

On the way back, we took the ferry over to Vancouver. Then on the highway, came up to the connection with Hwy 99. To go to Hwy 99, it split off into 2 lanes in a bend to the right. Came around that bend and saw a deer in the middle of the road right in front of me headed to the left. I wouldn't have been able to brake in time, so I maneuvered to the right. The deer flipped around and headed our way, hitting the radiator, then my foot, then my girlfriend's leg. The passenger footpeg and left side pannier came flying off the bike. The bike was pushed to the side, but I managed to keep it upright.

I pulled over to the right shoulder, and my girlfriend jumped off hopping on her other leg. I talked to her and she said she was ok. I looked back and the deer was lying in the middle of the road, still alive. I could just picture a car coming around the bend and nailing the deer. I ran back there. Two other people got out of the cars. The 3 of us carried the deer to the right side and lifted it over the guardrail.

A couple minutes later, the deer jumped up, ran to some tall grass 10 feet away and laid down. We called the police, animal welfare, my insurance company. BTW, the call to my insurance company was a complete waste of time. A police officer showed up. He was a rider and I showed him where the deer was laying. The animal welfare guy showed up and said, "well, looks like euthanasia". He said that no shelters would take that large of a wounded deer. They walked over to the deer and he tried to put the pet capture noose thing on it. The deer jumped up and sprinted 30 feet away. I was rooting for the deer to get away. 30 minutes later, the deer got a bullet from the police officer's gun.

My phone didn't work in Canada, so I had to use my girlfriend's phone, which made this an ordeal. If I encountered the same situation, I would call the tow company way earlier. The first couple of tow companies that I called didn't know how to tow a bike. But the police officer called one for me that was good.

MTS is at the Ducati dealership now and will get repaired over the next week or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Damn! Sorry to hear that. Were you or your girlfriend injured badly? I hope not, no broken bones! Bad day for you, worse day for the deer.

2016 blinged out PP
2007 Monster S4RS

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Well that could've been worse for you but thankfully it wasn't. Sounds like the bike will repaired easily enough, sucks though that it's only a couple weeks old.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Glad you and your girlfriend are OK. did you try calling Ducati roadside assistance for a tow? Should be good for 2 years from date of purchase. Limit of $200.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Wow, way to go on keeping the bike up!!! You really kept a situation from getting much worse. It's a really good thing to know how you are going to react in a situation like that. Sorry about the deer, that's hard if you are an animal lover.

Deer are unpredictable. They will freeze in headlights, run toward a vehicle coming at them, and change their mind about crossing the road in a heartbeat. I was riding shotgun in a friend's semi once and a deer came out of the trees, despite having deer whistles on the truck. My friend managed to slow the truck with 68K lbs of load under maximum braking and steer behind the deer as it crossed and then it reversed and ran right into the other side of the truck. Another time, with another friend driving a car, an elk ended up across the front seat with us after going through the windshield after running in front of us in the fog when we were only going about 20mph. That was a whole new experience having a live animal of that size on top of me thrashing around. Fortunately, most of him, including massive antlers, was still on the hood and we were able to squeeze out the doors. I felt horrible, he was so magnificent. A state trooper had to put him down.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wildlife, that is my #1 fear when I ride, just because they are so unpredictable, that's if you're lucky enough to see them ahead of time. Great job keeping the bike upright, and 2 up! Too bad about the deer and sorry about your luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn! Sorry to hear that. Were you or your girlfriend injured badly? I hope not, no broken bones! Bad day for you, worse day for the deer.

2016 blinged out PP
2007 Monster S4RS
I feel extremely fortunate that we were not hurt at all. Initially, my foot hurt and her leg also. But a few hours later felt fine and haven't hurt since.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that could've been worse for you but thankfully it wasn't. Sounds like the bike will repaired easily enough, sucks though that it's only a couple weeks old.
It was actually only 2 days old! Picked it up Saturday, deer crash Monday!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you and your girlfriend are OK. did you try calling Ducati roadside assistance for a tow? Should be good for 2 years from date of purchase. Limit of $200.
I looked up Ducati roadside assistance online while we were on the side of the road. From what I saw, it looks like you submit your receipt to them and then they reimburse? I couldn't see a way to have them get a tow truck for me.

The tow was $450 Canadian. The insurance company cut me a check for the full amount!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, way to go on keeping the bike up!!! You really kept a situation from getting much worse. It's a really good thing to know how you are going to react in a situation like that. Sorry about the deer, that's hard if you are an animal lover.

Deer are unpredictable. They will freeze in headlights, run toward a vehicle coming at them, and change their mind about crossing the road in a heartbeat. I was riding shotgun in a friend's semi once and a deer came out of the trees, despite having deer whistles on the truck. My friend managed to slow the truck with 68K lbs of load under maximum braking and steer behind the deer as it crossed and then it reversed and ran right into the other side of the truck. Another time, with another friend driving a car, an elk ended up across the front seat with us after going through the windshield after running in front of us in the fog when we were only going about 20mph. That was a whole new experience having a live animal of that size on top of me thrashing around. Fortunately, most of him, including massive antlers, was still on the hood and we were able to squeeze out the doors. I felt horrible, he was so magnificent. A state trooper had to put him down.
Wow! You have some even crazier stories than me now. I've played it over in my mind so many times, thinking what I could have done differently. I wasn't speeding. If I just broke as hard as I could, I think that would have been a terrible result since we likely would have slowed, hit the deer, and come off the front of the bike.

I was wondering if a deer whistle would have helped. Sounds like maybe or maybe not? I have the full termignoni exhaust and I think the deer might have heard towards it?...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wildlife, that is my #1 fear when I ride, just because they are so unpredictable, that's if you're lucky enough to see them ahead of time. Great job keeping the bike upright, and 2 up! Too bad about the deer and sorry about your luck.
All in all, I consider myself very fortunate! I am so glad I didn't drop the bike! You ain't lying about the deer being so unpredictable!

I wonder if it was actually easier to keep the bike up being 2up because we had more mass when the deer hit the bike. Hard to tell. I know that I have such a heightened sense of responsibility when I'm 2up!

I can replay the event in my head, but I wish I had it on video.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I wonder if it was actually easier to keep the bike up being 2up because we had more mass when the deer hit the bike. Hard to tell.
Dude,,,, you got fuckin luckkkkkky! Plain and simple. A friend of mine hit a deer, careened into the side of the mountain, broke his leg BAD to the tune of $150k. Another hit a deer and died.

If I was you I would buy a lotto ticket and get lit tonite! >:)

Oh and you may want to take anti-inflammatories for the next 3days regardless if you have pain or not. Ibuprofen 600mg 3xday for 3days, will help reduce the chance that this will be a lingering, lengthy recovery. Feet are important, bad feet lead to a bad back etc...

And technically if you didn't hit the ground you didn't crash, you just have an awesome story to tell when ur older. :)

Regarding the weight, you're probably right. IF you barely kept the bike upright, then YES I would assume w/o the passenger you would have been flicked off. Buy her cake and thank her for being ballast weight. :surprise::surprise::surprise:

Reactions: avigil

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear and glad it wasn't worse. A buddy of mine had a crazy deer story. He was in a line of several riders zipping along a narrow twisting mountain road with a steep, wooded bank on the mountain side. A deer leapt out the woods, off the bank, and took out the 3rd or 4th rider in line and sent him tumbling down the cliff side of the road. He lived, but the bike was trashed pretty good. Deer do some crazy things just when you really, really wish they wouldn't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hell, buy her a ring. She sounds like a keeper.
Yes. She also still wants to go for rides when the multistrada gets out of the shop. So, pretty awesome!!!

But I've been down the marriage road before and it was a lot scarier than the deer in front of me on the road. But she is a million times better than my ex. ?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Very glad you're okay both of you. Had similar deer crash in late 2015 which damaged my 2013 multi a bit worse than your DVT got it. Hit a juvenile male probably similar size to that one.

Not much we can do about deer collisions, they dart out so fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very glad you're okay both of you. Had similar deer crash in late 2015 which damaged my 2013 multi a bit worse than your DVT got it. Hit a juvenile male probably similar size to that one.

Not much we can do about deer collisions, they dart out so fast.
If I had the crash bars and radiator protector (Enduro kit), it would have protected the radiator and fairing I think. I'm debating getting that now...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dude,,,, you got fuckin luckkkkkky! Plain and simple. A friend of mine hit a deer, careened into the side of the mountain, broke his leg BAD to the tune of $150k. Another hit a deer and died.

If I was you I would buy a lotto ticket and get lit tonite! >:)

:
Lucky yes, but it's not plain and simple. It still required extraordinary mental and physical skills with such limited perception and reaction time and he didn't panic. He had to make a split decision on what to do, I bet 9 out 10 of us, riding 2 up probably would have resulted in a less favorable outcome. I consider myself a skilled rider, but I'm not sure if I would have come out with the same result.

And about the extra weight, probably did help in terms of contact. But again, being 2 up made the bike less flickable or may have made it harder to swerve. Either way, if it was me, I will take his result.

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
The tow was $450 Canadian. The insurance company cut me a check for the full amount!
So $450 Canadian works out to be about $7 in American Funds...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts