Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i am looking to pick up a second bike in the spring to keep my 749D company. i absolutely love the way my duc rides and have always wanted one even more once the dark came out.
now considering another bike, i am VERY intrigued with the 848 now that the dark will be available, but i hate the fact that they lost the dry clutch. another option is to pick up a 1098 or 1198 and make it a dark.
i also came across an MV F4 at the dealer that also has me interested. i have never ridden any of the 3, so that makes it a difficult decision. i am recreational rider only, and ride becausei enjoy the feel of the bike. i put about 1k/yr on my 749, so split that between the 2 and they will be pretty pampered.
i guess i am looking for opinions, since i havent ridden any of the 3. the ducati demo truck comes thru in march or so, so i could test then if i wait.

·
Registered
797 Posts
First, you really have to look closely at each one of them. And only riding 1k miles per year? Hmm...
Since you really do not ride much and are looking for a stable mate for your 749D, I'd look for the rarest, most exclusive. As the 848/1098, well are somewhat common.
And also if you ride soo little, I doubt a short test ride might not tell you much, except for handlebar and footpeg positions. And for a bike that you only ride 500 miles per year, I'd look for the rarest.

I've owned and riden the hell out of 5 Ducati's and 10 other bikes over the last 15 years, and hands down in my humble opinion I'd look very closely at the MV, that would be my choice out of the 3 bikes, they scream soul.......

well i am looking to pick up a second bike in the spring to keep my 749D company. i absolutely love the way my duc rides and have always wanted one even more once the dark came out.
now considering another bike, i am VERY intrigued with the 848 now that the dark will be available, but i hate the fact that they lost the dry clutch. another option is to pick up a 1098 or 1198 and make it a dark.
i also came across an MV F4 at the dealer that also has me interested. i have never ridden any of the 3, so that makes it a difficult decision. i am recreational rider only, and ride becausei enjoy the feel of the bike. i put about 1k/yr on my 749, so split that between the 2 and they will be pretty pampered.
i guess i am looking for opinions, since i havent ridden any of the 3. the ducati demo truck comes thru in march or so, so i could test then if i wait.

·
Registered
304 Posts
+1 on the rarest. Have you considered any of the 748R, 9** numbered bikes truly a timeless design. I've had my 748 (not numbered or rare) for 9 years now and can still spend hours just looking at it.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Get an upright bike - Monster, MV Agusta Brutale, Hypermotard, etc.

Your back will thank you and you can ride the 749 when you want to feel like Hayden...

I've got a 749S and a Brutale and it's, quite literally, the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get an upright bike - Monster, MV Agusta Brutale, Hypermotard, etc.

Your back will thank you and you can ride the 749 when you want to feel like Hayden...

I've got a 749S and a Brutale and it's, quite literally, the best of both worlds.
He only rides 1k miles per year, 500 between the two. I guess maybe more if the bike was comfortable? Still say look for a rare bike. My dad just gave me his '74 750 sport, not rare at the time. He paid maybe $4k for it new and now is worth over $20k and would'nt have cost much more for the SS. He still talks about how he should've bought that bike.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
He only rides 1k miles per year, 500 between the two. I guess maybe more if the bike was comfortable? Still say look for a rare bike. My dad just gave me his '74 750 sport, not rare at the time. He paid maybe $4k for it new and now is worth over $20k and would'nt have cost much more for the SS. He still talks about how he should've bought that bike.
There's something to be said for the joys of being able to sit up straight. I've got a repli-racer track bike and an upright street burner ... it's nice to have choices.

I don't see the point in owning two of the same style of bike (i.e. sport, sport touring, cruiser, etc.); to me, the point of having two is to sample the best of everything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Point taken. I just dont see the point in owning an upright to only put about 40 miles a month on when you can own a true classic. If the dude rode more I would absolutely agree.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i truly love ducati and all it encompasses, but that was my thought, was something a bit more elite or rare than the average joe. i have looked at a couple monsters that were done up pretty cool, but again, somewhat average, yet cool.
almost wish i could talk myself into an 08 1098R they have there on the floor, but the $26k price tag is slowing my eagerness.
what i ride has no affect on how many miles i ride. not because its not comfortable, etc. i ride when time and weather allow, and i ride for the relaxation and enjoyment. if i was looking for a high milage riding bike i would buy a jap bike like every other damn 16 yr old out there and think i was nicky haden

·
Registered
245 Posts
i vote a "foggy" monster. again, more upright but still really fun to ride, cool, and very capable. and somewhat rare.

·
Registered
245 Posts
definitely get the best of both worlds. i wish i would have kept my monster when i bought my 749

1 - 10 of 10 Posts