Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this whole forum thing and to the whole idea of owning a Ducati.

I'm in the process of selling my third bike in two years, I seem to go through them fast. I started on a Ninja EX250, then to Suzuki's SV650S, and I am now trying to sell my R1. Herein lies the problem, I thought I could go a little while without a motorcycle, maybe until I finished college, but in the three weeks that my R1 has been on consignment, I have been dying to ride.

The reason I am selling the R1 is twofold: I am loaning my parents $5000 to help them through a little financial trouble, and also, the R1 is just too powerful for my uses, I never use the power past second gear, and when I do, I end up with tickets (or worse).

I am looking at the 749 dark as my next bike, I have loved the styling of the 749 and the 999 since they first came out, but I have always thought that Ducati's were too expensive for me to consider. But the 749 dark seems to be pretty reasonably priced for what you recieve.

Also, living in a college town there are a lot of guys on sportsbikes and I don't know if any of you go through this, but when some other guy pulls up on a bike that looks exactly like yours, it's kind of ruins whatever you had going, even if the bike looked sick before the other guy showed up. Over the past year I have just begun to get tired of all the Japanese bikes. Everyone and his brother have their Gixxer, CBR or R6...etc.

Anyway, my question is this: I have enough scholarships in college to where I get a little money back every semester, with no loans. So debt free. Would it be worth taking out a student loan next semester and using that to buy my 749 dark (which would have about 3% interest and would not need to be paid for about 2 years). Or should I wait and save? Keep in mind that I DO NOT own a car as I still live at home, but have access to my parents'.

I know I am giving the impression of an impatient immature kid who just loves to go crazy on two wheels and that is not the case. (OK, maybe a little impatient. But I want to do what is smartest in the long run, if I am going to own a duck eventually, shouldn't I just go ahead and bite the bullet now?

For those who own the 749 Dark, what do you think??? I am in love with the looks, and it seems to have just the right amount of HP. Give me some advice on what you would do in my situation??

Life sure is tough huh?

Any knowledge on the matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
cyclepsycho said:
I know I am giving the impression of an impatient immature kid who just loves to go crazy on two wheels and that is not the case.
Selling your bike to help your parents does not sound like an impatient immature "kid" to me.

bruce19

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 749 dark is a great bike. I've got one. Its got very usuable, torquey power and its extremely stable on the road and in corners. Here are some pros and cons I put together that you might want to consider.

Pros

Its got Ducati written on it
The matt black paint compliments the new styling of the 749 more than the red paint
Very usuable power band with loads of torque and a smooth gearbox
Pin sharp brakes (Brembos with braided lines)
The instrumentation is well sorted and user friendly
The fuel injection is well sorted at all rev ranges, so there is no choppy throttle response like some other bikes

Cons

It gets VERY hot from the underseat pipes
The dry clutch is not the most friendly thing in traffic
The you need to positively shift the gears to get a smooth change (the gearbox is smooth otherwise)
Expect to pay high servicing costs
It can get uncomfortable after long stints, but four to five hours isn't too bad
It has no rear mudguard, so if you plan on owning a 749 get one immediately to save your rear shock and muffler from road debris and damage.
How much in speeding fines do you want to pay?

But I can safetly say you won't be disappointed owning one. Ducatis have something that no Japanese sport bike can match (and I've owned a few).

Hope this helps :)

P.S. If your still in college, you'll have more time to ride it like me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. About how hot does the seat get? I mean, in stop and go traffic the R1 feels incredibly hot between the legs. What kind of weather are we talking?

·
28,623 Posts
I'm in Arizona and I can tell you my 749 will be put away for the summer. Oh, I'll do the rides up north, rides where you're not in traffic, but commuting? Forget it. No way.
Prior to this bike, I rode year 'round without a second thought. I'm actually thinking about picking up an old F2 or something for the hot weather.

These bikes are most definitely NOT hot weather commuters.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cyclepsycho, I overlooked the fact that you owned an R1, which are know for running hot. I live on the Eastern Coast of Australia, so we routinely get days past a 100 degrees during the summer. The 749 gets hot, but its not something that you never get used to. You can counteract it by riding during the cooler times and avoiding stop and go traffic.

Best of luck otherwise with the decision.

Oh one more thing, when you drive by on a Ducati, people stop and look. I'll have that over the heat any day. :D :D

·
Super Moderator
8,378 Posts
As the others have stated..

A Ducati is a very nice bike, but I´m questioning your basic reasoning.
You want to lend your folks some cash and go from an R1 to a Ducati 749. In my world, these two things equall more expenses then what you have now.

Owning a Duc will quickly get you into the aftermarket guys christmascard list. I spend more money on stuff for my duc then most of my I-4 riding friends. This and this exhaust, a powercommander, that and that carbonfiber, new windshield and so on. It quickly gets into big $$$.

But if you can sort the financial situation, a 749 dark is a good choice on the bike. I like the "normal" 749 abit more myself.. not real fond of the flat-black color, but it does look mean.

I hope you can see a path to purchasing one, because they are a blast to ride.

//amullo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
amullo said:
A Ducati is a very nice bike, but I´m questioning your basic reasoning.
You want to lend your folks some cash and go from an R1 to a Ducati 749. In my world, these two things equall more expenses then what you have now.

//amullo
Amullo, I understand what you are getting at, the situation is, I need $5000 immediately, so I am selling the R1, I was going to sell it anyway. I would rather wait and get the bike immediately after selling the R1, but I (my parents) need the money now. I realize the Duck is going to cost more to maintain and own in general. When school starts in the fall, I will take out $10,000 in student loans and use it on a used 749.

Basically, it is not an investment decision, I understand it will cost more, I am just financing this one and getting cash for the other1. The duck is just so much more classy than the R1. As far as accesorising, I am going to leave the 749D bone stock with the exception of the front signals (clear lenses) and perhaps a rear hugger.

Again, thank you all so much on the much needed advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.