Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit worried about the swelling issue as I don't use the bike a lot and have lots of ethanol in the fuel here.

Ended up find a 2" plug thing at Home Depot to fill the filler hole (need to shave a bit off the part that goes through the hole, but then it works, nice a tight. Used a machine screw to plug the small vent hole and then made an aluminum plate to cover the fuel pump hole and cut a piece of inner tube to put under it to seal.

Put the screws and soapy water in it and shook it for about 30 minutes total and not a single drip came out of it, so feeling good it is sealed if I decide to put some thinner in there and slosh it around. The Caswell instructions say to use dawn and water to clean it and using laquer thinner is optional on a plastic tank - may try it as I feel I can seal it well and be careful enough not to get it on the paint. I have not decided 100% as it is so hard to get anything out of the tank fully as there are lips around both openings that trap some amount in the tank and make it hard to fully remove.

Hoping to do the liner tonight, let it dry Saturday and put it back on Sunday ready to ride!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
I had the same thought about not being able to drain it completely. I rinsed mine with both lacquer thinner and dish soap and water ( lacquer last, iirc) , after shaking a few hundred self tappers around in there for a really long time. That was supposed to roughen the interior but didn’t seem to do much except tire me out. I then used a hair dryer to blow through the tank until it was pretty warm, to assure no moisture was left. I don’t know why, but 1 quart of sealer was not enough to do a really good job. I didn’t coat mine for a few days after I cleaned it, because I was concerned about residual moisture. I put it in the sun each day until I coated it. As you can see, I had a lack of faith.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same thought about not being able to drain it completely. I rinsed mine with both lacquer thinner and dish soap and water ( lacquer last, iirc) , after shaking a few hundred self tappers around in there for a really long time. That was supposed to roughen the interior but didn’t seem to do much except tire me out. I then used a hair dryer to blow through the tank until it was pretty warm, to assure no moisture was left. I don’t know why, but 1 quart of sealer was not enough to do a really good job. I didn’t coat mine for a few days after I cleaned it, because I was concerned about residual moisture. I put it in the sun each day until I coated it. As you can see, I had a lack of faith.
Thanks for the advice, I did similar, dish sap and water and the screws and ya didn't seem to do a lot, got all the soapy water out and screws (with a magnet) put a fan on the bottom hole for 24 hours to dry it out. Just hit it with lacquer thinner, rinsed that around and dumped it out - found 5 more screws that were stuck somewhere, hopefully that is all of them now! blowing the fan through that but the thinner evaporates very quickly and is what they call for to thin it so not too worried it will have a negative impact, have the fan on it now and will probably let it dry for an hour and then dump in the sealant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I just scuffed the interior with some medium grit sandpaper. Seemed like a more efficient use of my energy. 3 years on and all is still good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just scuffed the interior with some medium grit sandpaper. Seemed like a more efficient use of my energy. 3 years on and all is still good.
I tried with some scotchbrite before the screws, can't reach like 80% of the inside though did what I could then did the screws too.

All did go well, got it done last night, mixed it up rotated it around for about 10 minutes all sealed up and then got out the extra which is a pain with the lip around the fuel pump hole, so lots of tipping this way and that to help it run out. Coverage looked good, seemed to coat all areas well and I got maybe 1/3 back out of what went in. Feels nice and hard today - the excess was rock hard by about 2 hours after mixing. Going to put some clear bra on it and then put it back on tomorrow, will have been about 36 hours by Sunday AM so can get filled with fuel and hopefully get it out monday when the weather is better.

A bit of a pain in the ass to do but nothing too hard, just lots of anxiety that I might get various things on the pain that will damage it but it all went well and came out great - hopefully cheap insurance against the tank swelling as it is currently perfect and seems to have not swelled at all under the previous owners supervision, but didn't want to take the chance.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top