Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrecked my 2011 Speed Triple and it seems like I am in the market for a new bike again.

I really like the new 848, but for some reason I can't find insurance cheaper than $3,000 a year for it. Right now I am paying $1,200 a year. Strangely enough, it seems I can get a 2010 SF1098S and pay around $1,500 insurance.

My real concerns are the following.

Valve check issue. It is 7.5k on the 2010s? Any other big maintenance shockers to look out for?

I live in NYC and do a good amount of city riding, as well as canyon riding on the weekends. Is the clutch that bad for the city? Will I hate myself?

The fueling issue is a concern. I am looking at a full termi'd bike. I assume I can dyno tune it a bit of sanity. How bad is that flat spot anyway?

Anything to look out for on these bikes for a used model?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Sorry my comparo was with the SBK not the 848 SF. So my answer is... I dont know

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Are you talking about the 848 Superbike or the 848 Streetfighter?
hmm good question I might have spoken too soon.

I was speaking about the superbike :/

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
When i was in the market for a new bike i chose the 1098sf. I was coming off a liter bike and new if i got the 848sf i would be missing some power. Do i use all the extra power? Probably not but i barley ever hit the the rev limiter, and that does happen on smaller bikes. 1st -2nd gear int the canyons is really nice. Around town its not to bad, probably the 848 is better, but man that dry clutch sounds is awesome!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys.

I was actually talking about the new SF848 vs older SF1089S.

Also, my insurance is where it is at because of the bike I am looking at, the city I live, the age I carry and my marital status/gender. Ducatis were crazy before the crash too.

I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I love the SF848, but I'm starting to feel it's underpowered, as I'm coming off litrebikes my entire riding life (except for my track 2007 CBR600RR). I purchased the SF848 because it was more cost effective...allowing me to keep about $6k in my pocket. I should have shelled out the extra dough.

I may be putting my SF up for sale very soon.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I'd say test ride them both and compare it to the Speed Triple.

If you test drive them please put your comparo thought between the SF and S3.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I love the SF848, but I'm starting to feel it's underpowered, as I'm coming off litrebikes my entire riding life (except for my track 2007 CBR600RR). I purchased the SF848 because it was more cost effective...allowing me to keep about $6k in my pocket. I should have shelled out the extra dough.

I may be putting my SF up for sale very soon.
That's what i feared. my personality always says "what can i do for a little more power?" I really don't feel the 1098 is an unmanageable beast...its how you ride it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the Speed Triple. I am sure the sf1098 will be quicker, but the triple is still a fantastic bike. Immense flat torque band, a solid handling/braking.

I just don't want to buy another Speed Triple and be constantly thinking of these sexy Italians :D

I think I am settling on the 1098. I just hope the fuel issue isn't as bad as you guys claim it is!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I love the Speed Triple. I am sure the sf1098 will be quicker, but the triple is still a fantastic bike. Immense flat torque band, a solid handling/braking.

I just don't want to buy another Speed Triple and be constantly thinking of these sexy Italians :D

I think I am settling on the 1098. I just hope the fuel issue isn't as bad as you guys claim it is!
the fueling of my SF wasn't bad at all. Also, it is not hard to keep it over 4k rpm, I never saw myself riding below that. Then again I had the 14t sprocket which might have helped.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Aside from the mess that is NYC, the full fairings on the 848 will obviously hike your premiums vs. the more naked SF.

I happen to like the mod-ability of the 1X98 'cause of the open clutch, etc. but IMO you'll never use all that power on the street, especially in NYC. Which begs the question, canyons??

·
Bon Vivant
10,961 Posts
NFWB11 there are gorgeous riding spots within an hours ride of the NYC - rivaling anything in cali...

Having said that I wouldn't even consider a SF 1098 or 848 if I lived in NY. You may get lucky with the fueling but I wouldn't count on it.
Yes it is that bad, and the lopy cam along with high gearing and beastly torque off the bottom make it a bear in the city in the summer.
Not to mention how hot this bike gets when sitting in traffic...

I agree the SF is very sexy, much more sexy than the girl next door that is the speed trip,
But you live in the wrong place for life with this girl IMO. Get another S3... that is my advice.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying here. The 1099SF isn't a good city bike no matter how good you have the fueling tweaked. The lumpy cams, tall gearing and dry clutch just aren't meant for city life. I'm not sure the 848SF is the right bike for you either. I'm a Triumph Speed Triple owner and they're great bikes. Maybe you should consider the new Speed Triple R.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
NFWB11 there are gorgeous riding spots within an hours ride of the NYC - rivaling anything in cali...

Having said that I wouldn't even consider a SF 1098 or 848 if I lived in NY. You may get lucky with the fueling but I wouldn't count on it.
Yes it is that bad, and the lopy cam along with high gearing and beastly torque off the bottom make it a bear in the city in the summer.
Not to mention how hot this bike gets when sitting in traffic...

I agree the SF is very sexy, much more sexy than the girl next door that is the speed trip,
But you live in the wrong place for life with this girl IMO. Get another S3... that is my advice.
I gotta disagree. There are better bikes for NYC, but also FAR WORSE then the Streetfighter. And not all Streetfighters have as bad of a fueling problem as the first ones. I got mine at the end of 2009 and mine was tolerable in Chicago traffic. Either mine was improved from the early ones or you guys were just a bunch of whiny bitches :)

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
I think if I lived in NYC I'd go for a light hotrod supermoto of some sort.
I agree with you there. In the city a Hyper or other moto would be a better choice. But there is no way I would choose a sportbike of any kind over the SF in traffic. Been there, done (and still do) that.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm wondering why you haven't considered a Street Triple. Sure, there's less bhp and torque than your old Speed Trip, let alone an SF1098, but it's not too far off the SF848, and would be far easier in the City. Reviews in most mags rate it over the SF848 in every criteria save looks and sheer grunt.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts