Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear DVT owners,

this is not a happy post, however I'm a happy camper since I just got my bike back from the dealer, it was 100hp, now 160, so I'm still recovering :grin2:

That said.....the left part of the nose fairing wasnt bolted on correctly...kinda negligent thh, fixed that myself, no biggy.
But most importantly, the GPS doesnt charge because the hard wiring failed.

The hardware:

As you can see the left part is just a cable, that part is hard wired to the bike directly.
I ASSUME to this connector beneath the fairing (bike is stored far from here so I cant check it):

Situation:
When starting up the bike, nothing happens to the gps, no charge.
Mechanic and myself watched as he tested the cable coming out the bike with a multimeter, there was current. (I am a noob btw)
Than connected the cradle, tested the 2 pins at the end, signals from both, this is the cause he said....
He said only 1 pin should have a signal, not both...There is short circuit he said
Sooooo, the cradle is faulty he/we concluded....

I was about to buy a new cradle....but than I had the idea to hook up the 'faulty' cradle to my other bike, my CB1100....
It worked perfectly!!!! :|

SO the cradle works fine!
Since he is a Garmin man, wity no tomtom experience, I assume he did something wrong with the hard wiring to the bike.

I mailed the shop...waiting for an answer now..
But I fear this can take longer than it should...
So, does anybody have an idea or tips about hard wiring a Tomtom to the DVT Multi?
Or what could be the issue here??

Thx

·
Registered
45 Posts
The connector you have shown is the sat nav power lead. the dealer should have stripped this connector of the 'bulky' sheath and connected the red and black wires from the TomTom.

This gives power to the sat nav on start up of the engine or ignition power up and when you shut the power down via the kill switch on the bike, the nav asks if you want to shut the power down on the nav or leave it power down within 30 secs.

Pic shows a gamin but the same principle.

Try this thread

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/satnav-advice.33486/page-7

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
indeed, easy peasy

so, gonna look tomorrow if its wired the same manner, but I has to be, its not you got many other options....

Maybe he mixed the (-) and (+)

·
Registered
869 Posts
There's also another blocked off connector for the electric gas cap. Not sure how that works from an electrical standpoint, but in practice, it gets a signal at power off to allow the gas cap to be opened, this must be done within 60 seconds of power off or the gas cap locks again.

Hope he didn't try and use that one.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I must be old fashioned, i carry an old map book in my bag, NZ is small place, its hard to get lost here. Now a radar detector, thats compulsory equipment.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Maybe he mixed the (-) and (+)
I have a 2014, so wiring is probably a little different as the Sat/Nav power is down at the left side of the engine tucked behind the panels. I just did a USB powered phone cradle (as well as the trigger for my lights) and had a wild time, mostly my own fault. The cables are definitely +/-, on mine the + is black/blue but you can only see this on the wires from the bike before the connector, not in the plugged in tail, and wiring the USB power the wrong way round got me nothing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha lol.

Okay, I'll be sure to look if he used the one with the white end and not the one with the black end than.

Thx for the heads up!

There's also another blocked off connector for the electric gas cap. Not sure how that works from an electrical standpoint, but in practice, it gets a signal at power off to allow the gas cap to be opened, this must be done within 60 seconds of power off or the gas cap locks again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Forgot to ask, but where is this one located?

Also under the top left fairing plastic?
Or the other side?
Because I noticed they didnt click the right top panel correctly back in place...

Edit:
When I see this topic about the location and install of the electric gas cap, its a totally different location, at the gas cap + requires to remove more panels....
http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/hands-free-fuel-cap-installation.37966/

So I doubt he used that one....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay some pics and a video

and the pictures:

maybe you guys can say based on the pictures if the "+" and "-" were reversed?
Since I cannt say wich is "+" and wich is "-" on the white ducati tab I'll start from the viewpoint.
So, as you can see looking at the connector on the pictures, with the tab pointing on top
at the left of the tab = black cable
at the right of the tab = red cable

·
Registered
157 Posts
En daar heb je dus een multimeter voor.

Use a voltage meter.

Reactions: E-riko

·
Registered
869 Posts
Both connectors, GPS and Gap Cap are down the left fork tunnel in the same general area.

I installed the electric gas cap myself and didn't have to remove anything more than the gas tank cover.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I THINK I've found the cause, mixed "+" and "-" poles.

With some help from the Dutch Multi group I was able to compare pictures:

CORRECT

FALSE

First picture is correct, bottom is wrong.
My connection is like the bottom one.

CORRECT =
With the GPS cables towards me and going out of the connector and the tab pointed up, the black cable should come from the left en the red gps cable from the right.

Mine is clearly connected the other way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I THINK I've found the cause, mixed "+" and "-" poles.

With some help from the Dutch Multi group I was able to compare pictures:

CORRECT

FALSE

First picture is correct, bottom is wrong.
My connection is like the bottom one.

CORRECT =
With the GPS cables towards me and going out of the connector and the tab pointed up, the black cable should come from the left en the red gps cable from the right.

Mine is clearly connected the other way.
Thanks for posting as I'm soldering my connector tomorrow. I did notice that the sides of the plugin are numbered 1 & 2. Looking at your picture, the negative side is numbered "2". :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts