Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, I'm in between on what to do.

Got the estimate from Duc dealer for the parts list in the attachment. Tack on tax and labor puts it at $5500. Insurance is cutting me a check for $5000.

Dilemma - dealer says they cannot source black fairings for my 2010 (my bike was originally red, previous owner painted black). He says most likely I will get red fairings for the replacement parts. Doesn't make sense to me because from what I can tell black was offered in 2010 along with red and white.

Do I let the dealer perform the repair, pay my $500 deductible and then have to paint remaining plastics to match? Or do I source the parts myself possibly using aftermarket and have money left over for paint?

If it were a Jap bike where ebay is flooded with parts it would be a no brainer, I would do it myself. I'm concerned about the parts availability. If I did have to buy most parts from a dealer anyway I might not be saving a whole lot ($1000 for headlight assembly???).

Any thoughts or past experiences would be appreciated.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the panels should be painted as part of the repair. or am i missing something obvious?

bike is insured to be fixed if it gets damaged. bike has been damaged, needs to be fixed. bike gets fixed to how it was before it was damaged. insurance company pays for all required parts, labour and panel repair/paint as required, minus your excess. that's how we always did it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense to me, however, insurance says paint would not be covered. I didn't press the issue yet, but I'll follow up...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Insurance is a contract. You have a policy spelling out the terms. Read it, don't trust them unless your agent is also your good friend.

Don't overlook that your time is valuable. Consider what somebody would have to pay you to take the time to do the work for them. Also, consider whether your skill level is greater or lesser than the professional you would have do it. Usually it doesn't pencil out so you may have to do it because you like the challenge, ... or not.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Out of curiosity, what excuse are they using not to return the bike to you in pre crash condition ? Was it a professional quality paint job ? Did you already sign something agreeing to accept it with red fairings ?

·
Registered
686 Posts
when you purchased your policy did you inform the insurance company that the bike had an after market paint job? I can understand the dealer needing to replace the parts with the exact same parts that came on the bike originally. if it was me the different color fairings would not bother me, I could always find the color I want online, and sell the other fairings. or if the color really was a bother, just spend a couple dollars on some vinyl wrap and make it what ever color you want.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You're policy likely states the bike will be returned to the original factory condition. If you specifically called out the paint job and that is named in your policy then it should be covered.

The problem from an insurance company's perspective is that an unscrupulous client can claim all manner of aftermarket parts including a paint job that may or may not have been there. I know Wrangler guys with major mods to their Jeeps and they always mention any lift, big tires and wheels as well as all the other accessories they added to make sure they were covered.

If I were you and I didn't specifically call out the paint job, I'd have the dealer perform the repairs with all original Ducati parts which is what looks like will happen. In fact, your bike may go up in value since the original owner painted the black components and now you'll be back to stock.

Good luck.

NC

Maybe search for a model year bike like yours that is getting parted out and you'll be able to find the black fairings?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You're policy likely states the bike will be returned to the original factory condition. If you specifically called out the paint job and that is named in your policy then it should be covered.

The problem from an insurance company's perspective is that an unscrupulous client can claim all manner of aftermarket parts including a paint job that may or may not have been there. I know Wrangler guys with major mods to their Jeeps and they always mention any lift, big tires and wheels as well as all the other accessories they added to make sure they were covered.

If I were you and I didn't specifically call out the paint job, I'd have the dealer perform the repairs with all original Ducati parts which is what looks like will happen. In fact, your bike may go up in value since the original owner painted the black components and now you'll be back to stock.

Good luck.

NC

Maybe search for a model year bike like yours that is getting parted out and you'll be able to find the black fairings?

that's what I was going to say. Check your policy, it likely says that it will restore the bike to factory condition (and if you are lucky, with genuine parts). Anything post factory is your responsibility, unless you have specifically insured those modifications. For example, my aftermarket luggage on my BMW would not be insured, but the factory luggage on my Multi GT should be insured.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Or do I source the parts myself possibly using aftermarket and have money left over for paint?
In my experience, sourcing parts, particularly plastics and covers can be a time consuming exercise in frustration. Most are damaged in some way as they're coming off a wrecked bike. Slight (or big) differences in model years make compatibility a concern. On top of that, sellers want practically new prices for marginal stuff.

Not saying you can't find replacement parts and get a good deal, it just might take a lot of time and patience...

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
How certain are you that the bike was painted black? That just seems like an odd thing to do to me, especially given black was an option in 2010 (and 2010 only). I have a sneaking suspicion the bike was always black and the dealer is having difficulty getting black panels. Pure speculation on my part.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Have you confirmed that the black the PO painted the bike is the same black Ducati used? Just wondering if there could be a situation where they give you black plastics and they don't match the painted red plastics. Maybe if you could find some used plastics and take the savings and have all the plastics painted to ensure they all match.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input.

As most of you assumed, I did not call out the aftermarket paint when I set up insurance, didn't think it was that important since it looked factory. IMO nobody paints over perfectly good panels unless there is flaws/damage, however the plastics looked perfect, so who knows.

I've decided to let the shop perform the maintenance and install factory red plastics, better looking anyway. I'll acquire the remaining plastics over time, also know some guys that do top notch paint work if necessary.

At least this happened at the end of the season, I bet it will be in the shop for a month or two waiting on parts to come in.

Brian

·
Registered
49 Posts
Insurance won't cover custom paint unless spelled out.... have the panels wrapped, cheaper and adds chip protection. Take the money and run!!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I don’t think “custom” paint is in the same category as a repaint to a factory available color. Paint is expensive. I wouldn’t give up without a fight. Every motorcycle insurance policy I’ve had for years has included a standard allowance for accessories . If yours includes that allowance they could at least cough that up towards the paint. If black parts were originally available from Ducati for your bike, you are in fact asking for stock replacement parts. Finding them is their problem. Body shops replace parts that must be color matched all the time. The bike wasn’t two tone before the accident, you should get it back in the same condition.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If your insurance company knows (or may know) that your cases had been painted, they can defend their refusal to pay to have them restored to their painted color. If it were me, I would be thankful the insurer was paying to restore my bike with new parts. If it cost me another $500 to get the colors matched, I'd think it was a good deal. Been there and done that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts