Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first bike and had placed a deposit for an 848....it seems they dont have it so now I am considering the 1198 they have in stock.
I was originally shooting for the 848 since it is a sligtly lighter bike and less powerful (better for me since this is my first superbike)....but I have also heard both bikes are as equally well balanced and i should not notice a huge difference when it comes to handling ....
any comments are welcomed!
cheers

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is it your first bike? or your first sport bike? If its your first bike, I would think an explosive Ducati might be a bit much as you most likely will drop it, or worse yet crash. Unless you can afford to fix it and yourself; a 1198 as a first bike might be asking for trouble. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Niether of these bikes would make a great first bike, I'm assuming you meant first sportbike? What bikes have you ridden.

Chris

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If I'd never ridden before then no way in hell I'd get one of those. To each his own...good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
get a long test ride on the 1198 before you jump in, just be careful in first gear. assuming you can afford the difference in price and have experience on road bikes at least 600cc you'll love it, they're fantastic bikes, you'll want to get the pipe and chip though, they're set up pretty lean to get through emissions. and don't forget to post up photos :)

otherwise check how long till the new model 848 will be coming in, the specs sound really good. have a look at the nicky hayden thread.

good luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Can I buy it off you after you've scared yourself sH!tless? in a couple months, ...that's how I got my 999:D. The guy, who was a experienced rider, couldn't wait to get rid of it after just a few rides.

Seriously, start with a 600cc bike or smaller. Your going to want to get all of your "bike dropping" out of your system before you step up to the top line Liter bikes. Even a slow "low side" can cause considerable damage if not a total salvage by the insurance company when it comes to a Ducati. Resale on a damaged one, even with a minor cosmetic scratch here and there will make you wish you'd gone with a cheaper option once you realize this is not for you.

A side note: Buddy of mine at a local dealer was explaining that several "S" and "R" owners he sees are looking to trade down when they see the projected cost of the 7000 mile service coming up. Rather than sink the money into service, they are opting to put that money plus the trade-in allowance and go to a new model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You said first bike right???? Uh... all the safest to you my friend. I'm sure if you have ridden before and you take your time you should be ok... but if this is... your first time ever.. be safe we dont need another Duc down... ... or rider

·
Registered
525 Posts
A cayman and a BMW M series, well I guess he can afford to fix it then...two or three times.

Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
itofigari i guess you've asked for advise so here's mine now that it's clear this is your first bike.

if you have to have a duc. get a second hand jap 600 while you're waiting for the 848.

crash knobs, one piece race suit with back protector, good quality gloves & boots, sign up for a couple of good riding courses, beginner, intermediate then advanced. check the website of your local track.

you might want to check your life insurance too, some policies are void if you ride a motorbike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
itofigari the suspense is killing me, how long have you been riding on the road and which bikes???
hahaha.....for starters, YES, I know it is a hell of a bike for a FIRST bike...but....as I said I was shooting for the 848 but they were out of stock and they gave a good deal for the 1198....I just took it for a ride....AMAZING and I must say it is more user friendly than I thought . OF COURSE, I treat the bike with the UP MOST respect....

Here is a pic!

itofigari i guess you've asked for advise so here's mine now that it's clear this is your first bike.

if you have to have a duc. get a second hand jap 600 while you're waiting for the 848.

crash knobs, one piece race suit with back protector, good quality gloves & boots, sign up for a couple of good riding courses, beginner, intermediate then advanced. check the website of your local track.

you might want to check your life insurance too, some policies are void if you ride a motorbike.
You are right man...I am already looking into a suit, gloves and back protector. I am also signed up for training with a pro driver in the track to get to know the bike and its limits...step by step...
thanks to all for the advice...
Cheers

If you have to ask... :think:
hahahaha....that's good....too late now.
BTW: If I get scared sh*&less like someone in the post mentioned, I might consider selling the bike I guess...although I am pretty set to just drive it on the track and not often in the streets...

Attachments

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Just take the classes at Code's Superbike School and you'll be fine with an 848. on't recommend the 1198. Hey, just a slip on the throttle and you'll be on your butt..

Welcome and enjoy

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Buy sharkskins race fairings to be sure, you don't want to have to keep buying genuine ducati fairings from low sides, track incidents or dropping

Chris

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Buy sharkskins race fairings to be sure, you don't want to have to keep buying genuine ducati fairings from low sides, track incidents or dropping..

I'll be honest, I've been riding since 96 and have had loads of bikes including several ducs including 748 996and ride daily averaging about 10k miles a year on bikes. I just bought a streetfighter, 1098 cc bike and it scares the crap out of me, I can only imagine 1198 WOW!

Chris

1 - 20 of 49 Posts