Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My little 748evo (1198 motor) has a poorly motor. The crank journals are damaged, as is one rod and the gearbox is a whole heap of spaghetti.

My question is will a multistrada crank fit in the 1198 crankcases? As the motor is pulled apart and mods are to be done, the hard part so far is tracing a replacement 1198 crank - But I have a lead on a multistrada crank. But will it fit? Crank balancing and machining will be done even if I do get a replacement 1198 crank.

Mike.-

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Unless X-ray inspected, and then checked for runout, concentricity, position, I would never trust engine cases after an incident of this magnitude... Just sayin'

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like a the 'strada crank is a no goer then. I have been looking at R cases, but having no crank to put in them doesn't resolve the problem. How would a diavel bottom end (plus SBK gearbox) with 1198s heads/top end look? is that a goer?

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Not overly sure, I dont think the diavel bottom end will take the 1198 gearbox or any of those bits dependant on width, but Im happy to keep the conversation going with xracer on the matter. What I know for sure is using the MTS/Diavel block will move the front sproket out a good bit, so I need to read up on it. Going to the shop tomorrow and Ill try and keep it in mind to do so.

Possibly use the MTS bottom end altogether and it will happily accept 1198 heads, I THINK the gearbox ratios are all the same as 1198. Downside will be you build yourself in a square with mts/diavel dependency. No idea on cylinder deck height either and as cylinder base shims were scarce already two years ago for 106 mills, its opportunities and culprits, you weighing the risks. Not in a gamble mode and have doe to fork out, R-cases is a safe bet, should be in the region of 1000 euro for the pair.
My findings on a durable 1198cc engine is if you take an 1198 engine and replace the cases with R items.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not building another bike or motor. RSV4 seems like it will be the answer to my mercurial Ducati motor issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts