Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have little to no experience working on motorcycles beyond routine maintenance and have been waiting for the opportunity to tear down my bike and really get into it.

Fortunately, the horizontal cylinder stopped firing on my Monster. The vertical cylinder seems to work correctly and is able to maintain the idle. I pulled the horizontal plug, grounded it to the head and then fired it up. It seemed to produce adequate spark. I checked the timing belts and they seem ok, so I’m assuming it’s either the valves or the carburetor.

I bought this bike new and have put 48,000 miles on it, usually I take it in for the valve adjustments, but figure it’s high time I start working on it myself…that and I’m broke. I last had it in at 32,000 miles and they said the valves didn’t require adjustment. Any suggestion on how to proceed from here would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

-Reuter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, does anyone know of a website where I might find individuals who have some type of technical expertise?

·
Registered
285 Posts
See if there is any compression, you can get a gauge pretty cheap at any auto shop or ebay. If there is no compression then try squirting some oil down the spark plug hole and if the compression comes up a lot, then you need rings. If it doesn't change a lot, then it's valves. Adjust the vales and check again.

You need to have the belts on and the motor in a ready to run conditon to do the check. You cannot check with the belts off.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your OVERDUE on the valve adjust! Get the horizontal cyl. to TDC and see if you have loose valves. Loose is okay[NOT GOOD] If the opening lobe is tight, that will give a compression problem. If they need adjustment, it may not be in your realm of capability.
You could have a dirty fuel injector, this will cause a dead cyl.. Think you said it was an 01.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts