Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 2 years of never having a major problem with my 1200 Multistrada I went out to start her after not riding for a week and half due to the unbearable heat here in North Texas. I realized I had left the red cover down and flipped it up then pushed down and NOTHING,Nada,Zip. Flipped it back up and back down and nada again. Tried the manual button in front of the tank...nothing. Oh Boy!

Went to the tool box and pulled out the volt meter and checked the battery voltage....4.3 volts. Shit! Pulled out the battery and plugged in the battery charger and let her charge up to 13 volts. Put it back in......Nada,not a click or whirr. I checked all the fuses I could find and they all look good. Now if I had any hair left on the noggin I would be pulling on it,but no such luck.

Anybody have a similar experience? On every other bike I've ever owned the charge would be enough to rectify the situation but this is a very sophisticated bike and has a bunch of computers on it. I can't imagine a dead battery would cause it to not want to start this way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:think:

·
Registered
251 Posts
My experience with bike batteries is that when they die they do so without warning and won't recharge. Buy a new high quality battery and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, if your battery got down to 4.3 volts its done. Even if it says it takes a charge to 13 once you apply any work to it, it doesn't have the amps anymore to do anything.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Look up battery sulphation.

IF you drain a battery that is past it's prime, sulphate crystals can form and drop to the bottom of the battery casing and short the plates. You may show voltage but get no amps.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hit up motoliberty (635/35) near Las Colinas and order one of the new Ballistic Evo 2 lightweight lithium batteries. They have some good deals on them and they are light as hell. Much higher cranking amp as well. Only down fall is you can't use a traditional battery tender for the lithium batteries so you need to get a specialized one.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sorry if I missed something but was something draining the battery?
Yes, you usually don't want to leave the red shut of switch down or it drains the battery. Not on every model but it's a known issue.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Red cover down, battery drain. Dealer warned me about it on my 2011 when I picked mine up. Says it hangs on some bikes, hunts for the key and runs the battery down. I always leave mine up.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I thought this starter switch problem was fixed by a recall/replacement of the switch unit. I have a 2010 and it was replaced. My understanding is that with the early switches, when the red slide was down it slightly pressed the starter button and would not let the bike turn fully off (and as others have said) means the RF system cannot go to sleep.

FW1421, do you know if your right hand switch block has been replaced?

·
Registered
750 Posts
FW, as others have said, if your battery read 4.2v, it's dead. Get a new one and your Duc will fly again. :D

-SM

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Yes, I assume it's a 2010 model, there is a recall on the red switch. I had it done a couple months ago.

·
Registered
181 Posts
just to add my two pennies :

also have a 2010 bike, 15k miles.

at 10K miles battery started failing - noticed by the heated grips not working. and finally by the fact it wouldnt start.

bought a battery charger unit, worked fine everyday but it kept losing charge. dealer in the end diagnosed and replaced the altenator (ducati call it a generator).

**by the way** the battery is INCLUDED in the warranty, so dont buy a battery - if you can - take it to the dealer and he will replace either the battery or the more serious generator.

finally, to check if your generator is working properly there is a procedure in the manual - the workshop manual that a few of us have, from memory its : open the seat, put the multimeter on it, rev it to 4-6 rpm and see if you are getting 14 volts - anything lower like 12 etc.. then its kaput.

bugs

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm guessing this is the kind of bike you want to replace the battery every 2 years? With a high quality one too?

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
After almost 2 years of never having a major problem with my 1200 Multistrada I went out to start her after not riding for a week and half due to the unbearable heat here in North Texas.
I've found that in the Texas heat that batteries die unexpectantly and usually at the worse time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
At 24,000 my 2010 battery died, took it to my dealer as the bike is still in warranty, barely.
They informed me that the battery is only a 6 month warranty and charged me $143 for a new battery.
I wrote a nice letter to Ducati North America and they granted me a "Goodwill" warranty on the battery.
Good thing, because for just a few more dollars I could have gotten a lithium ion battery.
That is what I'll do two years from now when this battery dies.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
At 24,000 my 2010 battery died, took it to my dealer as the bike is still in warranty, barely.
They informed me that the battery is only a 6 month warranty and charged me $143 for a new battery.
I wrote a nice letter to Ducati North America and they granted me a "Goodwill" warranty on the battery.
Good thing, because for just a few more dollars I could have gotten a lithium ion battery.
That is what I'll do two years from now when this battery dies.
Why wait!? My OEM battery died a while back and my shop replaced it under warranty. A few days later, I bought a Ballistic EVO2 8-cell battery! :D

There's no reason to wait. If you like the idea of a LiFePO4 battery and you understand how they work (don't panic if the battery appears to have no juice on a cold morning! Check out the video on Ballistic's website: Downloads - Ballistic Performance Components), just go for it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dead Duck.....

I had the right switch assembly replaced under warranty over a year ago. I left the red cover up by accident and I assume that's what killed the battery. I charged the battery to 13 volts and the instruments don't even come on. Even at 10 volts I would expect the instruments to light up. If the battery hasn't any current capacity, when the start button is depressed the current drain would drop voltage down below the voltage it takes to operate the instruments Nothing happens at all. Very weird. And the worst part of this is my warranty runs out the 29th of July. I've gotta get it to the dealer tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
FW1421,
I left the red cover up by accident
You are supposed to leave it up when the bike is off. Leaving it down can drain the battery.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dead Duck.....

Yea,i had a brain fart,i left the red switch down,not up. I've left it down a couple of times for days and it never once failed to start. We'll see in a few hours what the dealer says......if they can get to it quickly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts