Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike into coin wash Saturday, she's deader than dead. Had to have her towed to dealer from Mississauga to downtown Toronto. They looked Monday, no clue what is wrong, and I'm expecting a very arduous (and $$$) fix.

Anyone have any possible wisdom I can give the dealer here? My initial thought is Nemesis (I leave the serial cable up in the dash...maybe that shorted by water bridging the serial connections?).

It was a powerwash (my neighbour who rides a BMW uses and suggested it and we don't have a hose here...) but I did not give it pressure at all except at the end from about 8-10 feet away to wash away suds. Fairings were on, no crazy stuff.

Initially, when I tried to start after letting it dry for a bit (not long!) the alarm went on, there were a few sounds/beeps that seem to me to have been a code...then the alarm just kept going on and off, but not once would the dash even fire up. I think the alarm went til the battery died, and dealer said indeed it was low, so they charged it (it was 14.2-14.3 an hour earlier the carwash, I checked for other reasons).

So now...checking the electrical system from dash to ECU to wiring to God knows what else...sounds like it's gonna be a fun week for the dealer!

And my credit card hurts already...

Shawn

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch... I have no real idea what it could be, but hopefully it will fall under warranty.
Dicey. I added a cable to power my phone, and of course the Nemesis I did myself. They did most of the work as you know, but the electrical mods were by me! So I dunno how they will react to that.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Dicey. I added a cable to power my phone, and of course the Nemesis I did myself. They did most of the work as you know, but the electrical mods were by me! So I dunno how they will react to that.
I thought you were leaving town soon. Are they going to be able to get it done? They should be able to get it done fast.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you were leaving town soon. Are they going to be able to get it done? They should be able to get it done fast.
I was supposed to leave for Grand Bend after the car wash LOL. My vacation is officially over in the morning. Oh well. I got my apartment nice and clean! LOL.

They said they'll look tomorrow but assured me it's not at the top of their list of priorities.

Unfortunately it's one of those things I really wouldn't know how to troubleshoot or I'd try to myself...

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I was supposed to leave for Grand Bend after the car wash LOL. My vacation is officially over in the morning. Oh well. I got my apartment nice and clean! LOL.

They said they'll look tomorrow but assured me it's not at the top of their list of priorities.

Unfortunately it's one of those things I really wouldn't know how to troubleshoot or I'd try to myself...
Fuck. I know you were looking forward to that trip. Is this the same dealership that did not do your swing-arm right? Seems to me that they should have you as a priority from now until the end of time.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuck. I know you were looking forward to that trip. Is this the same dealership that did not do your swing-arm right? Seems to me that they should have you as a priority from now until the end of time.
I was...seriously, I went crazy trying to install the GPS etc. for the last couple weeks, ordering stuff priority mail etc. and asking billions of questions.

Yeah, I only deal with the one place. They actually blamed the swingarm on me and told me they'd charge me to install the hub. I guess that's business.

But something good will come of this. When I go to pay my $650 bill for washing my bike a beautiful girl who rides an 848 will almost trip in front of me and I'll catch her and we'll be married in September...at which point we can ride to Grand Bend together...

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I was...seriously, I went crazy trying to install the GPS etc. for the last couple weeks, ordering stuff priority mail etc. and asking billions of questions.

Yeah, I only deal with the one place. They actually blamed the swingarm on me and told me they'd charge me to install the hub. I guess that's business.

But something good will come of this. When I go to pay my $650 bill for washing my bike a beautiful girl who rides an 848 will almost trip in front of me and I'll catch her and we'll be married in September...at which point we can ride to Grand Bend together...
I would have told them to fuck themselves. I hate dealerships, hence me working on everything I have owned. Anytime I have to use them, I catch them on every small piece of bullshit they throw at me. You would be surprised how much they tell you that is just bullshit. I hope everything works for you. And they should seriously get your bike done fast, you seem to spend enough money with them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have told them to fuck themselves. I hate dealerships, hence me working on everything I have owned. Anytime I have to use them, I catch them on every small piece of bullshit they throw at me. You would be surprised how much they tell you that is just bullshit. I hope everything works for you. And they should seriously get your bike done fast, you seem to spend enough money with them.
The point I don't think they get is that I've just STARTED with them...as in how many years will they be servicing my bike? They don't seem to be thinking too far ahead...

My only other option is Oshawa and that's seriously far since the Duck is my only ride. But it's probably time to explore that option.

But at this point they still haven't told me anything so who knows. I LIKE the guy there (he's great actually), I just think the organization leaves a bit to be desired sometimes...lack of care and that of course trickles down all the way to the customer sometimes.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
There is a little Ducati shop down in Holland, NY just west of Buffalo, Williamsville welding is the name of the dealership.

Its run by a scenile old man who is likely to sware at you just for walking through the door (you know, that bad-ass old biker type), but he and his mechanic seem to know what they are doing, and THEY DO NOT RIP YOU OFF. I actually bought my first new Ducati from them 6 years ago now, and it was $1700 cheaper from him then anyone else I could find.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a little Ducati shop down in Holland, NY just west of Buffalo, Williamsville welding is the name of the dealership.

Its run by a scenile old man who is likely to sware at you just for walking through the door (you know, that bad-ass old biker type), but he and his mechanic seem to know what they are doing, and THEY DO NOT RIP YOU OFF. I actually bought my first new Ducati from them 6 years ago now, and it was $1700 cheaper from him then anyone else I could find.
Thanks Randy. Buffalo is one of my old weekend rides, very comfortable going down there so this might be a good hookup.

I don't mind the old biker types, usually get along fine with them...used to work with them when I painted...usually my favourite customers (paying, loyal, and appreciative)...when they left their 'colours' at the door...

I'll dig deeper into this place cuz what the hell, I am just being too Canadian with all of this right now!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I bet your bike starts now. Call those cash grabbers and tell them to go out and turn the key after it is charged. Most likely you got water in between the main wiring harness and the one that leads to the dash.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bet your bike starts now. Call those cash grabbers and tell them to go out and turn the key after it is charged. Most likely you got water in between the main wiring harness and the one that leads to the dash.
My helmet's already at my front door for when I leave for work in the morning:) I'm expecting to call them at 9am and I am miserable without my bike so I think I'd better let them know that I'll be dropping by after work:D

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They said it was the DP Alarm. I don't think they're charging me but now I might have to fight with Ducati about the alarm...oh well one step at a time...

Going to pick her up in 45 minutes...yay

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
I was going to say using an air compressor gun (if available) after a wash does wonders to getting rid of water in the wrong places.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to say using an air compressor gun (if available) after a wash does wonders to getting rid of water in the wrong places.
There were LOTS of buttons on the coin wash gun...I wonder if air was one of them?

Nonetheless I'm very wary of using a coin wash again...

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Nonetheless I'm very wary of using a coin wash again...
it's considered bad style anyway, blowing the grease out of the
bearings, of the chain, getting water into the instrument panel
etc., i honestly hope you learned your lesson the inexpensive way.

cheers.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's considered bad style anyway, blowing the grease out of the
bearings, of the chain, getting water into the instrument panel
etc., i honestly hope you learned your lesson the inexpensive way.

cheers.
Ya just smack me next time, seriously. I will go to hardware store try to find low pressure sprayer of some sort to get the dirt off the hard to reach spots...hopefully something exists. You gotta be able to wash under the guts etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya just smack me next time, seriously. I will go to hardware store try to find low pressure sprayer of some sort to get the dirt off the hard to reach spots...hopefully something exists. You gotta be able to wash under the guts etc...
Check into waterless or no-rinse wash (well, very little water anyway). I think the best one is made by Optimum. I found out about it via www.autopia.com, it's a car detailing forum. You can find it at www.autogeek.net. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html) It seriously works with like a gallon of water for a whole car and doesn't scratch when done right. Check it.

PH

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
They said it was the DP Alarm. I don't think they're charging me but now I might have to fight with Ducati about the alarm...oh well one step at a time...

Going to pick her up in 45 minutes...yay
Nice. Glad to hear it is something simple. And you can make your trip!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts