Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
comrade moderator
27,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, dead ST4 on the side of the road. Lights, everything works, CEL is on, faint click when i hit the button and nothing. Reprimes and we do it again.

·
comrade moderator
27,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No change. Feels like a suddenly dead battery to me. Everything works, lights etc, the pump runs for a sec and stops. When you hit the button the relay clicks and you can see the clutch move an almost imperceptible amount...and thats it.

My girlfriend's on her way with my truck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
bat.?

have the bat. load tested,check for cable corrosion.don't try jump starting w/a running car or you will have more issues.

·
comrade moderator
27,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You got it.

What are you using for a battery, Yorik and others with the late model ST? I just bought a 12B-BS from Auto Zone and the case is much bigger.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had a Motobatt MBT-12B4 AGM battery for a year and a half. Has a little more amp capacity than the standard AGM spec for the bike. Haven't needed any maintenance charging since I've had it and I've left it alone for a couple of months in the winter; still started her up.

Good luck.
Scott

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,263 Posts
Yuasa YT12B-BS AGM Battery.

IIRC, you have to install it backwards so that the leads are on the correct sides. You'll have to double check that, though. Been a while. Not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Dead Battery

Good Morning,
I use a Shorai battery and have been pleased with it for the past two years...I cannot stress enough to use the Shorai Charger...its not overpriced and will do the jop properly.
I also purchased a digital voltmeter and mounted it on the bike...This ones off Amazon.
Battery Tender makes a unit that plugs into their charge plug ...but my eyes are older and their unit is difficult to read..
The Blue LED unit has two USB plugs to charge our devices and also has the digital display.
The other device has no voltage display..
The Blue device is on my friends red 2005 ST3
The Red display is mounted on my 2003 ST4S W/ABS
They are all difficult to see for me in bright sunlight..
But I like seeing/monitoring my bikes charging voltage as I ride..
Mike S

Attachments

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Yuasa YT12B-BS AGM Battery.

IIRC, you have to install it backwards so that the leads are on the correct sides. You'll have to double check that, though. Been a while. Not 100% sure.
When installing, ALWAYS be sure to point the + post towards the front on our ST's.
Same with 916,748,996,998.

Be sure to check your charging voltage at 2000 RPM with a bunch of loads turned on. It needs to be close to 14VDC. If it's like 12 V, you're not charging. Check that connector for color and heat (when running). If it's hot, get rid of it.

GL with the Shorai. I have great luck with the AGM's, so I'm staying there.

·
comrade moderator
27,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here I stand again. Next to a dead Duc. This is strike two. There will he no strike three. We're done right now. Grrr...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
?

whats bat. voltage at 2k rpm-around 14V???:surprise: on the (+) side AAA now transports motorcycles & bicycles via roadservice.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts