Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ran across this dilemma a while ago. Thought I'd pass along the 'fix'.

I had a known good battery and it was 'young'. I left the key on and it depleted to zero. I thought the battery tender would fix it. But it wouldn't do so at all. Not wanting to get another battery, I called the seller of Motobatt. He was helpful, even at the cost of not selling a new one to me.

It appears the tender must sense a certain voltage. I forget the amount, doesn't matter. If it doesn't, it won't work at all. Fix is to hook a good battery in parallel (+to+ and -to-) and then hook up the tender. It senses sufficient juice and if the dead battery is capable of being brought back to life it'll happen.

Mine is fine and has been so for over a year.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Reactions: SS904

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have had this before with "smart" battery chargers, the old school fixed voltage ones will work regardless.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have had this before with "smart" battery chargers, the old school fixed voltage ones will work regardless.
I have an ancient 3/4 amp charger that works fine.
No electronics, so don't leave it plugged in too long.
No lights, put hand on case, if it vibrates slightly it is working. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
You should be able to do the same with a dead tool battery, say a 20V Dewalt , Doesn't take much to get it to take.
I have heard that it is not a real bad practice to get your battery near drained then recharge it...?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
You should be able to do the same with a dead tool battery, say a 20V Dewalt , Doesn't take much to get it to take.
I have heard that it is not a real bad practice to get your battery near drained then recharge it...?
For NiMH and NiCd, it's supposedly OK to drain them, and then fully recharge them so that they don't suffer from "memory effect" (NiCd especially). Not sure Li batteries need conditioning like this - I don't believe so, because this laptop I'm using seldom sees 10%, and it's been working well for many years now.

Not true for our Lead-acid / AGM bike batteries. If you totally kill them, there's a good chance that you might ruin them. Marine batteries, OTOH, are designed to be totally drained & recharged.

That said, I've done the mistake of draining a battery or 2 to 0V. I have a 2/10/50 A "Boost" charger that comes in handy for reviving a totally dead battery. Harbor Freight has one that's $29.99 with their coupon...
Be careful with the Boost feature. I've seen 17V that tends to blow a healthy H4 headlight right after the engine starts!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lithium-ion batteries almost never seem to come back from the dead when fully drained. I've given up on them until the price comes down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts