Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to ride my 09 gt1000 this weekend. suited up, helmeted, gloved and all that. hit the starter and nothing. not even a crank. no lights on the dash. absolutely nothing.

i did store and get my bike serviced this past winter and had a $400 maintenance bill due to some wiring that a small family of mice had eaten. what i can't remember is whether we changed the battery and the store has been closed the past two days.

so i'm hoping it's just the battery because my dealer is 100 miles away. one thing that happened between this past weekend and two weeks ago when it started just fine: our contractor had to move my bike with the steering wheel locked. he's a very careful guy and told me that he just walked it in circles until it was out of the way. hopefully that had nothing to do with it.

so my real question: anyone tried the ballistic 12 cell battery on this bike? does it fit well within the compartment? any other suggestions?

thanks, all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
incidentally, forgot to mention i hooked up the battery tender and got the flashing red light--"battery not charging." so i'm assuming it's the battery. just want to make sure before i shell out money for a ballistic or shorai battery. would really appreciate any suggestions if there's something else i should check. all underseat wiring is intact and in good shape from the looks of it.

thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's a good question, but no, it's not possible. key has always been with me. i hope it's the battery and not the mice again. they're relentless. one mouse built a nest, complete with babies, on a bed of mothballs under the seat. then i tried bounce dryer sheets. i found a lone adult eating those. can't figure out how to keep them out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
that's a good question, but no, it's not possible. key has always been with me. i hope it's the battery and not the mice again. they're relentless. one mouse built a nest, complete with babies, on a bed of mothballs under the seat. then i tried bounce dryer sheets. i found a lone adult eating those. can't figure out how to keep them out.
BTW - this same exact scenario just happened to me. However, the root cause was the regulator/rectifier. What happened was it shorted internally and completely drained the battery - mind you even with the key out of the bike since the rectifier is connected directly to the positive side of the battery. I tested it by putting a new battery in it and the rectifier would heat up immediately - even with the key out. So make sure you test that as soon as you put a new batt in it or you will fry your new battery too. I am waiting on the shipment of a new MOSFET R/R from Roadstercycle.com

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Get a cat

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Also check your starter solenoid. There is a small white plug that can come loose. Try pushing it back in and see if she will start.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
714 Posts
The key comes out and the steering is locked when your in park lite mode,the lite is on so dim you won't even notice it's on during the day.give the battery charge and then load test it to see if that's the culprit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts