Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't start the 848SF the other day so put it back on the tender. Tender is showing a nice green light but when turning it on, it sounds like all the Pumps are firing, no bad indicators on the dash but not enough juice to start the bike.

Pulled out the jumper cables and it started up fine from a portable battery set-up.

Put the Multi-meter on the battery and it reads 12.5 volts. WTF? How much does this thing need to crank?

I expect it's a warranty issue but also a 60 mile ride to San Diego so 3 hours out of my life to take it to the dealer. Flipping coins on if to just buy a new Battery or take the trip to SD.

Is this common? Are stock batteries short lived and I should invest in some expensive lithium ion battery?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Just because it has been on a tender doesn't mean things can't go wrong. It sounds like it has a bad cell. Check the battery with a multimeter under load when you push the start button. If the voltage drops to 10v or lower the battery is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Remove the battery, take it to an auto parts supply store, and have them perform a load test - or do one yourself as Secret Squirrel suggests. Battery voltage alone is not a clear indicator of battery's ability to deliver an adequate electrical current to the starter motor.

Isn't Ducati Newport Beach just 20 miles away from you?

www.ducatinewportbeach.com

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tested under cranking, wait there is no cranking as it can't even turn the bike over.. But after a "start test" it drops to 11.5 volts since it's no longer on the tender.

The battery has never really spun the engine even then new. It's always seems a bit slow so probably just a lousy battery from the start.

Been reading all the posts I can find regarding a replacement for looks like it will take many more posts to figure. People suggesting Motowheels but they don't seem to sell Batteries any longer. Odessy, Yuasa, Shorai... so many choices...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove the battery, take it to an auto parts supply store, and have them perform a load test - or do one yourself as Secret Squirrel suggests. Battery voltage alone is not a clear indicator of battery's ability to deliver an adequate electrical current to the starter motor.

Isn't Ducati Newport Beach just 20 miles away from you?

www.ducatinewportbeach.com

Newport Ducati is much closer but since buying the bikes from GP in SD I figured I'd have to stick with the same Dealer for service or warranty issues. Maybe some phone calls tomorrow will shed some light on my options (I'll call Newport and see what they have to say).

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's not about the volts, it's about the cold cranking amps (CCA). Yuasa states the battery at 216 CCA, but I tested my new battery and it showed even better, 260!

With our motors, CCA is very important. When the battery died in my Monster, I replaced it with the Cycle Gear house brand. After installing it, my bike wouldn't turn over. I tested the full charged battery and it only showed 170 CCA. I called them and told them I wanted to exchange the battery for a different one and they put it on a charger for me. When I got there, I tested that one and it only showed 170 too. I returned it and got a Yuasa.

You can buy an inexpensive load tester at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motowheels sells Shorai batteries. We like their warranty the best and they have nice protection circuit that sacrifices the battery before they can damage the bike.
I went to your site twice (maybe 3-4 times) and each time the link from "Batteries and Chargers" only displayed 2 items (pigtail and maintenance system). I see now it's working...

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Called GP Motorsports in San Diego and they said they would send someone to pick the bike up, replace the battery and then bring the bike back fixed... All under warrantee. Sweet!

·
Registered
101 Posts
UPDATE: Called GP Motorsports in San Diego and they said they would send someone to pick the bike up, replace the battery and then bring the bike back fixed... All under warrantee. Sweet!
It sure would be a lot easier for them to just bring you a battery instead of hauling the bike around. ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ducati warranty must be honored at any dealership...why not just call Newport?!?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
San Diego arraigned to fix the problem without me even leaving my door. Tomorrow afternoon the bike will be starting like new :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's awesome. I wouldn't consider a battery to be something covered by warranty but if they're going to do it, full credit to them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts