Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couple weeks ago i posted that my Bike seemed to stall while cold. I failed to mention that it was always sluggish to turn over. The other day i came off a quick 30 mile canyon ride, and when i got back into the city and came to a light it stalled out. This time, it would not start. Not completely dead - lights worked, it tried to turn over. Had it towed in.

The previous owner never rode it, but they kept it on a tender. Even if the battery is expired, why would it die while already running? Maybe this is a starter issue. Anyone experienced this?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
check the voltage regulator/rectifier - they've been known to go bad and are usually replaced under warranty (even if it's expired, they often replace them as a "goodwill claim" since it's a well documented fault).

your r/r works to even out the variance in foltage output from your charging system and if it is bad, the battery will slowly drain while riding.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel hose

Got it back today from the shop. Turned out to be a fuel hose. I forgot to ask them if this is why my dash was throwing the fuel light after 75 miles. Possible?

More interesting to me is that this was covered under warranty. I guess emissions?

One nice plus is that they tightened up the tank.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
There was a recall for the fuel hose issue. Improperly installed clamp between the hose and filter (or hose and pump? don't remember). A bunch of guys here got stranded with the same issue, but most have been fixed by now. Funny that no one thought of that when they read your post - it was a really common problem.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recall

I guess this problem was just one degree more common than the voltage thing.

The recall was just for the part, right?

·
Registered
674 Posts
There was a recall for the fuel hose issue. Improperly installed clamp between the hose and filter (or hose and pump? don't remember). A bunch of guys here got stranded with the same issue, but most have been fixed by now. Funny that no one thought of that when they read your post - it was a really common problem.
I never had the recall problem but wasnt it the fuel line clamps from the tank to the throttle bodies?

this is the only way lavaspit could be losing fuel causing the fuel light to go on early. if it was the clamp at the filter or pump it would be an internal tank leak and he wouldnt lose fuel.

and yeah, the recall was to fix the problem with a new clamp properly installed.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
...Funny that no one thought of that when they read your post...
yup - usually when a sc dies and won't start we jump to this as the first guess, but the way he worded his symptoms sounded to me like his bike was lacking cranking power. the fuel line issue has nothing to do with being "sluggish turn over" or "it tried to turn over".

classic red-herrings threw me off the scent :eek:

guess that's why i don't make my living doing diagnostics...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Not knowing how to maintain my own bikes causes me to overcompensate by using language to describe problems I dont fully understand the implications of.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Part II

So different day same thing. The bike fired right up at the dealer. Then every time after it seemed to take a little bit longer to turn over. Finally, today, I went for anther fairly aggressive jaunt to make sure the battery was charged up. Parked for about an hour. When I came back out the bike was sluggish to turn over again, then died, and threw the Maint message again.

It never really has started up promptly. Seems like I have to rev it right away to keep it going, unlike all the YouTube videos I see where its just a press of the button.

So waiting on the tow as I type. What are you guys thinking now? Should I mention anything to the shop or just let them do their thing?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Rectifier/Regulator is still my first impulse, but the electronics are so integrated on all new bikes that it's hard to be certain of a diagnosis without putting the magic computer on the bike.

If I were a dealer and had a known-good Regulator sitting around, the first thing I'd do is trade that out and see if it solved the problem.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Regulator

I asked and they said that its charging fine. Maybe the battery is just old and not "holding" the charge?

I know that short rides are not the best, but it shouldn't just die on me.

·
Registered
970 Posts
start with the simple stuff like a new battery. Once they go below a half charge they will never come back up to a full charge. no amount of battery tender or riding will charge it all the way back up. When batteries are low they can also cause poor running conditions.. and it over taxes the charging system which can lead to voltage reg /rectifier failure.

So different day same thing. The bike fired right up at the dealer. Then every time after it seemed to take a little bit longer to turn over. Finally, today, I went for anther fairly aggressive jaunt to make sure the battery was charged up. Parked for about an hour. When I came back out the bike was sluggish to turn over again, then died, and threw the Maint message again.

It never really has started up promptly. Seems like I have to rev it right away to keep it going, unlike all the YouTube videos I see where its just a press of the button.

So waiting on the tow as I type. What are you guys thinking now? Should I mention anything to the shop or just let them do their thing?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
hmmm...

Well, I simply cant take it for a long ride every single time. I live in the city. I thought cafe racers were designed for these short jaunts. Beyond that, it was on a tender since 06 and only had 700 miles on it (previous owner). So maybe that kind of light riding drained it...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Well, I simply cant take it for a long ride every single time. I live in the city. I thought cafe racers were designed for these short jaunts. Beyond that, it was on a tender since 06 and only had 700 miles on it (previous owner). So maybe that kind of light riding drained it...
Yeah, if it's still got its original battery, then that battery is 5 years old. In that case Dave's suggestion is a good one. A 5 year-old motorcycle battery would be about done even if it wasn't causing problems, regardless of mileage. Thus, even if you replace it and it doesn't fix it, it was time to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
will do

I'll let em know. Any idea of cost? Do they usually have to ship or are they handy?

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is very similiar to a situation I've had with my 1098. I had the regluator replaced in February due to a recall....and have had stahling issues ever since (none before). The symptoms were exactly like your bike, the lights on the dash were still on and the bike would try to start but didn't seem to have the power to turn completely over. The first time it happened was in May (fortunately just 2 blocks from my house) and I took it in to the dealership....and guess what? They said it was the fuel hose and the clamp wasn't on right!

Well, last Sunday I took it on a trip with 3 friends down to Alton,IL by St. Louis. We rode thru this state park called Perre Marquette (a winding, 3-4 road that slowly ascends up a hills thru a forest). We get to the top of the hill and are turning around and guess what? The EXACT thing happened that happened in May. (my brother had to drive 130 miles and pick me up with his trailor. Thanks Ducati!). I'm sure it wasn't the fuel hose because we checked it and it was fine. I'm pretty sure its been the regulator the whole time! If they try to say its the fuel hose again, the sh*t is gonna hit the fan....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts