Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

De-Cat? Pros/cons

21K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 ·
Last fall I picked up a '13 1200S with a Termi slip-on. I'm getting ready to purchase the Tuneboy software and wondered if I should remove the catalytic converter before I do that. I know that it will save some weight but is it worth the trouble and expense?

#4 ·
It's plenty loud now so I don't want to make it any louder (never thought I'd hear myself say that!). I just wasn't sure how it will affect engine performance and potentially help smooth out responsiveness. The cat is a bit of an eyesore but, as you state, it does serve a purpose.

#5 ·
Well I'd suggest NOT decat'ing if you intend to keep the slip on... because the slipon's are basically decorated straight pipe's that do nearly nothing (maybe tweak the sound spectrum slightly).

You could go with a decat pipe and muffler with removable baffle, that would be better than a slip on but it's still (even with the baffle installed) going to be louder than stock.

Power wise it seems like you can (with tune) pick up some power with decat... but not crazy amounts.

#7 ·
Never seen them both side by side... but the full termi kit muffler has a removable baffle - without the baffle it's loud enough to give me tinnitus thinking about it. The slip on is just all the noise all the time (no baffle available).

#8 ·
I wondered about the baffle. I noticed there wasn't one and thought the PO had removed it. I'm going to buy the Tuneboy software when (if) it goes on sale and see how it performs. I can always replace the exhaust in the future. I've put a few hundred miles on it before the weather got too cold and need to ride it a bit more before I can determine what it needs. Thanks for the input

Cheers

#14 ·
I always have to chuckle when I read these decat/exhaust threads. Be honest, the main reason folks modify the exhaust on a 130+ hp bike that they will be riding on public roads, is for the sound. They want the image, just like the harley guys who bolt on the obnoxiously loud pipes. 90% of us old(er) farts who ride multis won't derive any real life benefit from losing the weight of the cat, or from whatever power gains they may get.

I have been fortunate in that my multis have run well with the stock exhausts. Fat ducs smoothed out the fueling. All of the mods I've done to my bikes have been for safety, or comfort. The bike is plenty fast enough for any public road, and I prefer to ride swift and silent.

my 0.02. YMMV

#62 ·
Did do a change on my Monster but don't intend to change the exhaust on the Multi.
Already have Tinnitus as a result of the loud Monster and my previous Panigale. I need a quieter sport touring ride.
What I may do however is to install the Rapidbike unit left over from my Panigale and disconnect the exhaust valve.

#16 ·
Decat

Ok, so no one needs obnoxious noise or more power but the cat is big, ugly and heats up the brake fluid in rear brake master cylinder creating some of the infamous no rear brake syndrome. I also hated the look of stock mufflers and lack of Ducati twin sound. I installed the Arrow full pipe and silencer and have never noticed any smell or excessively loud noise. (not even close to straight pipe HD). My rear brake works better, it sounds like a Ducati and it looks better(IMO). I always wear earplugs anyway beacause it's the wind noise that damages hearing, not exhaust which is behind you. I have never had a complaint from neighbors in 3+ years I have been running Arrows(of course my previous bike was decatted 1098 so it is quieter. Never got any complaints on that either because it made sweet music!
Tom

#19 ·
Ok, so no one needs obnoxious noise or more power but the cat is big, ugly and heats up the brake fluid in rear brake master cylinder creating some of the infamous no rear brake syndrome. I also hated the look of stock mufflers and lack of Ducati twin sound. I installed the Arrow full pipe and silencer and have never noticed any smell or excessively loud noise. (not even close to straight pipe HD). My rear brake works better, it sounds like a Ducati and it looks better(IMO). I always wear earplugs anyway beacause it's the wind noise that damages hearing, not exhaust which is behind you. I have never had a complaint from neighbors in 3+ years I have been running Arrows(of course my previous bike was decatted 1098 so it is quieter. Never got any complaints on that either because it made sweet music!
Tom
I definitely agree regarding the hideousness that is the cat... and I also went with the Arrow full system - but IMO anyone who thinks the stock exhaust is 'loud enough' (OP) is going to think a decat/slip-on approach is REALLY loud.

Are you running the baffle? IMO it's a nice 'middle ground'.

#17 ·
After reading a couple of the first responses, I had to double check I didn't somehow jump to the prius forum. What the hell guys, loosen the tie a bit.

No f______ kidding , decat is a great way to get a little more power , alot more noise , and lose a fair bit of weight .

I always wear earplugs anyway because it's the wind noise that damages hearing, not exhaust which is behind you.
exactly

#18 ·
It's nice to see this thread coming around. I too thought I may be in the wrong place. Full Termis here, same thoughts as TD, less weight, less heat, better rear braking, smoother running in traffic, and better looking. More sound was not a priority to me. I also always wear earplug for wind noise.

t_bare

#21 ·
Arrow straight-thru pipe

I emailed Arrow yesterday to ask bout an ecu update for straight pipe for the Multi ENDURO. They said they found it "wasn't necessary, based on their testing." I'm not very knowing of decatting so not sure is this is true or not. Seems like an update would be mandatory.

#22 ·
I emailed Arrow yesterday to ask bout an ecu update for straight pipe for the Multi ENDURO. They said they found it "wasn't necessary, based on their testing." I'm not very knowing of decatting so not sure is this is true or not. Seems like an update would be mandatory.
I've heard that before... but some people who decat and don't update the ecu or use an external tuning widget report having issues. I've also seen posts from one person who did a before/after dyno run and lost power prior to a tune.

I think vendors say it's not necessary because it adds cost - and strictly speaking it ISN'T necessary... the bike will run without it... you just may not be happy with how it runs.

Reactions: superadv
#23 ·
So many good responses I don't have much to add, but I will anyway ...lol

Most are not looking for either more power or Harley straight pipe noise levels, In my state I have to sound test bikes for state inspection so making your bike too loud will make it un- inspectable.
There is a happy medium and many bikes can get a better sound without being obnoxious this is where 90% of riders want to be anyway, I have owned a few exhausts that would make your ears ring after a half hour of riding and that's no fun. Db killers are a easy fix for taking 5-10db off the top while keeping most of the sound. Most new systems include them.

I have had a few customers delete Cats and keep oem stock exhausts and the bikes are usually done at that point, sound levels are higher but not too loud and the sound is more bass and less tinney. Heat and weight are the other gains as some of the cats are crazy heavy while needing to be at a very high temp to function.

Some have self corrected enough that additional mods were not needed and others needed fixing the map in the ecu to run right. I would not de-cat something without a backup plan on how to fix fueling changes or know of someone who has already done it with good results on the same year make and model bike.

#25 ·
I’ve got a MIVV decat and Ghibli can on mine. The system came with three baffles: two in the decat and one in the can. I left the one in the can and it sounds great. Loud, but not annoyingly so.

I had Wayne at Tuneboy dynotune it and it’s pumping out 140 hp. Well it was two engine rebuilds ago. I need to go back and get him to retune it.

#27 ·
Speaking of Tuneboy, has anybody heard from them lately? I placed an order for an Advanced kit (Tune + CC) for my "new to me" 2014 1200S on the 11th of Feb and have not heard anything. I Emailed them earlier today requesting an update to the status of my order. I have a MIVV can and decat pipe on the way and would like to do all the installations at the same time. Lookin forward to getting rid of the stock cat and tail section.

Reactions: Sco
#28 ·
I went with the Arrow full exhaust with the carbon fiber can. With the baffle removed it is pretty loud but with the baffle in the bike is not obnoxious in any way. I ride with the baffle installed nearly all the time. Yeah, it isn’t as environmentally friendly but I don’t put a ton of miles on my bike and bikes make up such a tiny percentage of miles driven I doubt they have much of an impact. Plus, that cat weighs about 15lbs. I tossed it in the bin.

I had a tune done after the install. Bike runs great. Fueling is perfect.

#29 ·
On my '12 p.p I did the leo mid pipe and used a arrow thunder made for a brutale with a tune flash and it was heaven, needless to say the baffle never made it in the can.
Can't wait to do it again on my '16 pp.
oh, and a 14 tooth sprocket completed the picture but that belongs in another thread! :surprise:

#32 ·
I went with the Arrow system on my 14 MTS GT and love it. My main goal was to drop the weight of the cat and get a better sound. Without the baffle it is pretty loud so I run with the baffle in and I've been really happy with the setup. Great sound, less weight, win/win!

Reactions: td929rr
#33 ·
I could not go back to a stock set up, LOOKS are it for me, the HP gain is not even noticed, I can scare myself with stock HP.
The sound is very ok with the full termi with the baffle, It is very noticeable meaner sounding without the baffle, some days It is what I need , in order to cut loose.
It makes me Feel that Feeling that yeah it is a beast! I don't often run without baffle due to the expected ear ringing that WILL happen.

I removed the cat to get back at the Gov't goonies that force us to but a bike with a charcoal canister etc.
I Love the way the bike looks sounds barks and the feeling of Weight loss is as good as stepping on the scales and seeing the diet is working!
So That is how I feel.
I forget about the cost and never wonder what the money would have been spent on or wasted on buying crap like food or paying bills or spoiling the little lady with a new purse or shoes.

Make it your own, do take the knowledge from others, and do it your way.
Fu@K tuneboy there is(were)/ cheaper alternatives, REXXER does a bang up job of Cruise Control and a ECU reflash MUCH less then tb AND you get Customer Service!!! I sent my ECU to California and had it back installed before tb would even reply.
Do it your way...Impress yourself.
Have fun and budget be damned.

Reactions: Shubz
#37 ·
I’m not really sure why you would need or want the tune if you’re running a relatively useless slip-on. You aren’t going to see any gains with that Termi slip-on, best to get rid of the cat and go with the Termi full system or another full system.

#46 ·
The main reason for the tune would be for better fueling. I have some surging issues, as well as, a dead spot around 4500 rpm. I thought if I did the tune, should I replace the cat but since the bike came with the Termi slip-on I'm concerned about it being too loud. What I'm hearing in this thread is that the slip-on is not the same as the silencer that comes with the full system and I don't have a baffle to put in it. A Termi full system and the Tuneboy tune and CC is more than I'm looking to spend so what's the best bang for my buck?

#38 · (Edited)
De-Cat

Thinking a little more on the Decat Subject, for me it was about the looks and sound more than anything else. I hated how the stock split/twin silencers looked, the big, pregnant underbelly(cat) was unsightly and the sound was just un-Ducati like. I wanted it more like my 1098. The Arrow full system solved these perceived issues for me and was worth the $. I also did the sprocket mod to help smooth it out @ low rpm. Also, just to clarify, Bike ran very smoothly stock and did not really need improvement on driveability before the new exhaust, tune. It was almost purely aesthetics for me. I love the sound of a decatted Ducati in the morning!
Tom

#39 ·
I left the land of the blue and white roundel (s1000rr) for one reason: the sound of the bike. I just don't love the I4 sound, so I crossed over to the duc side. Like the others, I purchased the full termi for the look of the can (the stock one looks atrocious in my opinion) and really releasing the sound of the L twin. With the dB killer removed, it sounds perfect. With the dB killer in, there's no drone (can't even hear it while cruising on the highway), and it gives a good growl when going full throttle while still lacking a bit of throatiness. My major concern with the full termi is I don't believe the can is compatible with the stock cat, meaning if I move to the UK I'll have to return it to stock (UK people please correct me if I'm wrong!). All of that said, I have no regrets about the purchase, the full exhaust really does bring out the ducati in the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.