Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Arrow

it will be obnoxiously loud. Only remove the cat if you're going for a full system (either LV, Termi or Akra) with a dedicated slip-on, that actually do work. Then with tuneboy you will have a real increase in performance.
I would include Arrow Full System in this group. With supplied baffle, it is very similar in DB to these other Manufacturers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
it will be obnoxiously loud. Only remove the cat if you're going for a full system (either LV, Termi or Akra) with a dedicated slip-on, that actually do work. Then with tuneboy you will have a real increase in performance.
Not sure if you have done a decat this but a noise level being obnoxious is a matter of opinion.

Been riding a decat'ed Enduro for the last year (18,000 miles) and i find the noise to be fantastic!...couldn't be more happy!!

Also, do you have any dyno runs of a decat'ed DVT with a fuel tuner as i currently believe this tuning will only net you 2-5HP.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Not sure if you have done a decat this but a noise level being obnoxious is a matter of opinion.

Been riding a decat'ed Enduro for the last year (18,000 miles) and i find the noise to be fantastic!...couldn't be more happy!!

Also, do you have any dyno runs of a decat'ed DVT with a fuel tuner as i currently believe this tuning will only net you 2-5HP.

Thanks in advance.
Full Termi with Rapidbike EVO 1200DVT 2017

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Full Termi with Rapidbike EVO 1200DVT 2017
Is that WHP? If not then what did they use for drivetrain loss?

If that IS whp then that's 15hp higher than any other 1200 DVT bike I've seen! 105 lb-ft too... very nice... if I get that when I bolt on Rapid Bike I don't think I'll ever switch to anything else, I know Rexxer has not gotten close to those numbers.

Wait... is that the 1260? (It says 17 multi in the post but your sig says '18 1260?)

·
Registered
665 Posts

If that IS whp then that's 15hp higher than any other 1200 DVT bike I've seen! 105 lb-ft too... very nice... if I get that when I bolt on Rapid Bike I don't think I'll ever switch to anything else, I know Rexxer has not gotten close to those numbers.

Wait... is that the 1260? (It says 17 multi in the post but your sig says '18 1260?)
It's not my bike, its the 1200DVT from a friend of mine

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I’m not really sure why you would need or want the tune if you’re running a relatively useless slip-on. You aren’t going to see any gains with that Termi slip-on, best to get rid of the cat and go with the Termi full system or another full system.
The main reason for the tune would be for better fueling. I have some surging issues, as well as, a dead spot around 4500 rpm. I thought if I did the tune, should I replace the cat but since the bike came with the Termi slip-on I'm concerned about it being too loud. What I'm hearing in this thread is that the slip-on is not the same as the silencer that comes with the full system and I don't have a baffle to put in it. A Termi full system and the Tuneboy tune and CC is more than I'm looking to spend so what's the best bang for my buck?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
The main reason for the tune would be for better fueling. I have some surging issues, as well as, a dead spot around 4500 rpm. I thought if I did the tune, should I replace the cat but since the bike came with the Termi slip-on I'm concerned about it being too loud. What I'm hearing in this thread is that the slip-on is not the same as the silencer that comes with the full system and I don't have a baffle to put in it. A Termi full system and the Tuneboy tune and CC is more than I'm looking to spend so what's the best bang for my buck?
I went with Arrow... IIRC it was around $1300 plus $550 for Rapid Bike and $50 for the servo eliminator. Quite a bit cheaper than a full termi.

Does Tuneboy even have a DVT module? (I don't think so)... your options are $550 for Rapid Bike EVO (or more for the Race version) or $300'ish for Rexxer... or full Termi (for a LOT more).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wondering why Tuneboy, Rexxer and Rapid Bike EVO seem to be the most popular EFI tunning systems on this forum?

Is there some reason the Dynojet Power Commander is never mentioned? Not only here in the U.S. but in much of Europe they are pretty big players in this space and there are a ton of performance tuning shops and dealerships that use the Dynojet Dyno for tuning.

I currently pair their A/F logger and wide-band sensor and quick-sifter with a YEC race-kit ECU on my race bike and their stuff works really well.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Wondering why Tuneboy, Rexxer and Rapid Bike EVO seem to be the most popular EFI tunning systems on this forum?

Is there some reason the Dynojet Power Commander is never mentioned? Not only here in the U.S. but in much of Europe they are pretty big players in this space and there are a ton of performance tuning shops and dealerships that use the Dynojet Dyno for tuning.

I currently pair their A/F logger and wide-band senor and quick-sifter with a YEC race-kit ECU on my race bike and their stuff works really well.
I also have not seen much about Power Commander... I did look at them briefly but I only looked at their DVT kit informatino... which had me concluding that it's an open loop only system (doesn't do anything when the bike is in closed loop) and would need either a downloaded map or dyno tune.

My thought process (right or wrong) was that the Rexxer setup would be the best option (because it directly adjusts the ecu maps), and that Rapid Bike was the next best thing because it's able to optimize operation in closed and open loop - and uses the O2 sensor to trim settings (auto-tune). I didn't see any options in the Dynojet kit for supporting a wideband sensor, which I'm guessing would also mean closed loop operation and likely some ability to autotune (otherwise why bother with a wideband sensor).

·
Registered
665 Posts
This is not WHP, But BHP. Dont know how much they use for drivettrain loss (10%?). Important is the dip is gone, but still a enormous boost aroud 5-6K. This is not a autotune but realtime tune and per cilinder on a dynorun, Costs around €800,-

·
Registered
352 Posts
I also have not seen much about Power Commander... I did look at them briefly but I only looked at their DVT kit informatino... which had me concluding that it's an open loop only system (doesn't do anything when the bike is in closed loop) and would need either a downloaded map or dyno tune.

My thought process (right or wrong) was that the Rexxer setup would be the best option (because it directly adjusts the ecu maps), and that Rapid Bike was the next best thing because it's able to optimize operation in closed and open loop - and uses the O2 sensor to trim settings (auto-tune). I didn't see any options in the Dynojet kit for supporting a wideband sensor, which I'm guessing would also mean closed loop operation and likely some ability to autotune (otherwise why bother with a wideband sensor).
I thought you had misgivings about Rapid Bike because you didn't know if it had been developed with the required rigor. How did you get comfortable?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
I thought you had misgivings about Rapid Bike because you didn't know if it had been developed with the required rigor. How did you get comfortable?
Pretty much still nervous... but needed to do something and decided I'd rather go this route than shipping my ECU anywhere. I was sort of hoping that by the time it started warming up my local Rexxer capable shop (MotoZ in Buffalo) would have figured out how to deal with DVT Multi's but it sounds like that's not happened yet... and I could have been riding a couple days over the last week (near 70f and we've had enough rain that the roads are clean of salt and grit).

So I ordered Rapid Bike and when I can get a local Rexxer update I'll likely switch and sell the EVO kit.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
This is not WHP, But BHP. Dont know how much they use for drivettrain loss (10%?). Important is the dip is gone, but still a enormous boost aroud 5-6K. This is not a autotune but realtime tune and per cilinder on a dynorun, Costs around €800,-
10% would make sense... 145 WHP is a solid number but not out of line for 1200 DVT's that have been properly set up. Too bad it takes all that work to get to where Ducati said the bike would be from the factory.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Thanks for the reply, did some research today and talked with the Dynojet and Rapid Bike peeps. Looks like you can do everything with the power commander, i.e run prewritten maps, switch between two map choices or auto-tune either from a single cylinder or both cylinders (you do have to use their wide-band sensors), quick-shifter up and down. They even have a pretty cool digital display you can mount on the bars to monitor and tune in the field. The one caveat is not being able to tune in the closed loop area, defined as 5% - 20% throttle position up to 6,200 rpm. This is apparently an area of the fuel control table that Ducati restricts because of EPA controls. It might be possible to have someone like Fast by Ferracci flash the ECU to have the restriction bypassed and then tuning in the closed loop area can be accomplished. I'm thinking what might be best is to install the intake and or exhaust modifications/parts and then make some runs on the dyno to get an idea of the A/F in the closed loop area needs any tuning and take it from there. I have a 2013 and don't experience the same complaints I've heard about this area with the 2015-17

However I did like everything the foks at Rapid Bike had to say, tuning in the closed loop area, auto tune using the stock lambda sensors, raise the rpm limit, launch assist and some other nice features including a bar mount tuning display (although not digital or as nice as the dynojet). Even the price was attractive, almost to good to be true. So while I took a quick look at the options there is a deeper dive needed to really discover what is what between these and the other choices available. Thanks again

·
Registered
217 Posts
I finally received my Mivv Exhaust and Tuneboy Software/Tuner, I am heading off to Mexico with the wife for a vacation tomorrow for about a week. I won't be doing any installation until I get back, but I have loaded the software on my computer and have been playing around with it some. I have a 2014 MTS 1200S, does anybody know if the existing map for the Mivv is tuned with or without the DB killers?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

I currently pair their A/F logger and wide-band sensor and quick-sifter with a YEC race-kit ECU on my race bike and their stuff works really well.
I think the main reason is that the Power Commander ( and Rapid Bike) are piggyback modules, where Rexxer and Tuneboy re-map the ECU. I had used the Rapid Bike module in my S2R1000 but it was a pain trying to find a place to put the module and installation was not all that easy. Newer ones may be different but it's still an additional module.
I'm considering the Tuneboy because it will allow me to be able to re-map if I make additional mods in the future, like the air box or full exhaust system, plus electronic cruise control. For the price (hopefully it will go on sale this spring), it seems like the best option for me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Pretty much still nervous... but needed to do something and decided I'd rather go this route than shipping my ECU anywhere. I was sort of hoping that by the time it started warming up my local Rexxer capable shop (MotoZ in Buffalo) would have figured out how to deal with DVT Multi's but it sounds like that's not happened yet... and I could have been riding a couple days over the last week (near 70f and we've had enough rain that the roads are clean of salt and grit).

So I ordered Rapid Bike and when I can get a local Rexxer update I'll likely switch and sell the EVO kit.
I wound up not installing the one I bought ... I practically gave it away to one of the members here. Maybe I'm not a great online salesperson. :smile2:

·
Registered
581 Posts
does anybody know if the existing map for the Mivv is tuned with or without the DB killers?
Mivv trim file I have is with NO DB killer.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts

Is there some reason the Dynojet Power Commander is never mentioned? ...
Because until the last couple of years the PC would not tune below 5500 rpm (I think they can now), and that is the area that Ducati's have their problem - the lean spots that occur between 3000-4500 rpm. The PC was fine for high RPM performance, but most of the guys tuning are just trying to get the bottom end smoothed out. With the Bazzaz you could autotune down to 2500 and then tune by hand the rest of the way down. My Bazzaz auto-tune was smoother than any power tune I ever had. So ya, no one used PC because it didn't solve the main problem, and now that they do, everyone is out of practice using them, and also, guys like Rapid Bike are getting a phenomenal reputation.

PS. Also, you can tune at all throttle openings, where as with PC you can't - or didn't used to be able to. My trick when I lived in LA was I added 5-6% throttle, at the 0-10% throttle openings. It made sure the bike always had enough fuel to give it a smooth start when I rolled on the throttle. You probably know this already, but remember a lot of guys with the big twins are just trying to get the bike smooth in the lower rpms, because it's a downright nuisance when your bike won't just cruise around town without jerking your body around, or at least get you smoothly and safely to the twisties. I realize that over the last few years Ducati is getting much better with this whole issue of stock low end fueling.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Sorry it ain't gonna happen. One of the 2 owners of Rexxer is on a sabbaticle, and guess what he's the programmer/hacker... They won't be able to crack the ECU.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts