Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure if anyone that has the DD headlight had a problem with the low beam going out. I immediately thought it was the bulb until I replaced it and the old was pristine and the new one didn't light. I checked the fuse (both the 20a orange wire and the OEM) and nothing wrong. Wiggled as many connections as I could find.

Could it be the relay? I'm not sure if any of those go bad but I'm at a loss.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Check with Paul Geller, owner of D&D. Hes very helpful.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Get a flashlight and check to see that both female pins are visible in the recesses of the plug. There's a chance that one of the female pins backed out. If so, it's probably best to remove it, slightly bend the retaining tang, and push it back in as deep as it will go.

If this isn't it, grab a voltmeter and start probing for the +12V

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
A VOM, or at least a 12volt detector, would make troubleshooting much easier. Relays can go out but usually last a long time, is it clicking when you activate the light switch? If it is, the problem is either the main circuit between your battery and the relay or the relay and bulb.

If it isn't then the problem is in the control circuit operating the relay. Check the ground connections too!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a DD headlight on my bike, in case we need to compare wiring...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome Marc...thanks....I'll be digging in to it this weekend.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Easy to switch the relays to eliminate this as a source of the problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the tips...I switched the relays and that was it. I honestly didn't think that they could just up and go bad...I was wrong.

·
Still needs a life.
12,599 Posts
Well thanks for the tips...I switched the relays and that was it. I honestly didn't think that they could just up and go bad...I was wrong.
Failure of relays has been reported here and on the Yahoo ST owners group. Many of us carry spare relays on the bike "just in case."

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Failure of relays has been reported here and on the Yahoo ST owners group. Many of us carry spare relays on the bike "just in case."
Good idea Bill, do you know the part number of the relay in question?

A Bosch number would be best for me in Oz if possible, thanks and Happy Independence Day!

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts