Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New issue of Cycle World has a DB7 vs, Bayliss 1098R face off. Bottom line? The 1098R is a bit quicker on the track given a 32 horse advantage over the DB7 (no shock there, the DB7 is the base 1098, the 1098R is the full out 1198 WSB mill, and this one had the full Termi system (which they say is LOUD) and the DB7 had the standard, EPA compliant exhaust system.) However, the one rider said the 1.7 second difference was the result of very aggressive and hair-raising riding. The other guy, who did not push it to the extreme limits, was faster on the DB7.

Both found the DB7 easier to ride and faster on the street. As the other reviewers said, the riding position is more like the 999, you sit in the bike rather than on it, and less weight on the wrists. Easier to tuck your legs up under the tank, etc They also found the suspension, etc to be better on the Bimota.

The two bikes are priced far different, with the Ducati $10,000 more than the Bimota. Their conclusion? Bimota wins unless the slight advantage on the track, or ridden Banzai style on the street is your primary concern.

Hmm, love to see someone upgrade the engine to 1098R specs. On the other hand, stock seems to be quite sufficient, and perhaps a good, after market full exhaust and a Power Commander V with the tuning module would do a lot for a lot less.

My DB7 should be here sometime next week, and having owned the original 1098R (the Bayliss edition is just a new paint scheme) I will give you my thoughts on this comparison after I get some miles on the DB7.

Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a plain ole base 1098 and the engine is wonderfull, I cant imagine another 32 hp, but I agree the DB7 should have at least the 1198 if not the R engine, I love my 1098 and my SB6R, but would really love to add a DB7 and a TESI3D and a VDUE someday, dam guess I better wake up, congrats on the new toy:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DB7 please, with enough money left over to find a nice, low-mileage DB4 tricolor.......
Hmm, since I am thinking of thinning the Bimota herd and have a mint DB4 Corse tricolor that I am thinking of selling (nice bike, but my mechanically and ride-alike DB2 with its tricked out engine is faster and more 'grunt' out of the corners) perhaps you or one of the other folks would like to buy it before I list it elsewhere? Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
The friend I sold a Tesi 3D to has a Bayliss and DB7 also. Likes the DB7 better. Says alot being a Ducati lover. Only have one 3D left!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was there when they tested those bikes. It was a track day at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV, back in June. The DB7 was stunning in person. The two guys were very friendly and we talked about bikes all day. Here are two pics from my phone:

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
If they make an R version next year we would like to run one in AMA Superbike, are looking for more sponsors....yes, we got Homologation approval.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts