Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting concerned lately with all the laws coming down so last year I purchased a set of DB Killers. I had a dyno-mapping session scheduled and had brought them with me and ran with and without. As expected they knocked a few hp off the top but what I didn't like was that they created a dip in the torque in the 4500-6000 range, right where I spend most of my time. So, I have not used them on the street. I personally enjoy the sound of my bike but I notice that a lot of people look over their shoulder when I am approaching. I try to gauge their reaction and so far they don't seem to give a negative reaction, more curious and or interested. I guess not all sounds create the same reaction by volume alone.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
7,733 Posts
...I personally enjoy the sound of my bike but I notice that a lot of people look over their shoulder when I am approaching.
You know those folks won't be running out in front of you. ;)

My opinion is you are giving them a taste of an exotic sound they don't usually hear, and they are enjoying it. Well, that's what I like to think when I experience the same thing ie, their "pedestrian" experience has been enhanced. :)

I guess not all sounds create the same reaction by volume alone.
It's not the volume that makes it sound good, it's the unmistakeable L-twin, desmo tone. Nothing sounds like a Ducati. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
I'm not sure if you caught the recent Top Gear where they ran the Zonda F roadster through their track or the Ferrari Monza (?) through tunnels along the Cote de Azur. The rumbling Duc pipes gimme the same oozie, gooiness inside. ;)

Since the power pusles tend to contribute a nice rythem, not so much different than a good drum beat or a human heart beat at a good pace, I deem them socially acceptable.

Although, good advice would say to have the dB killers on hand for temporary installation should the LEOs or RCMP get their panties in a bunch since they're stuck in a cage.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Funny, this was the main reason I got rid of the DP cans. I could not find dB Killers for them.
So now that I'm back into the Sil Moto ovals, I find myself keeping them in for a while...then taking them out for a while, etc. I like the flexibility. The Sils actually sound pretty good with them in.
But here's the real problem. The clutch is louder the the 'killers in. :abduct:

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
But here's the real problem. The clutch is louder the the 'killers in. :abduct:
I'm with you, my clutch at idle sounds like it is smashing itself into tiny pieces, it only has 28,000kms, so I wouldn't think it is due for replacement, but it does worry me that it is so noisy.

I run Staintunes without the inserts, sounds beautiful, so long as you have the clutch lever pulled in.:D

Craig

J

·
0 Posts
The Ducati Recordings

I vote we all record our sounds from the pipes and clutchs of our bikes and put them in w/ our name boxes,you know the area where our info stuff is,cool huh:abduct:

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
As much as I like the character of the clutch noise, it is, IMHO, much more annoying for others than open exhaust. Kind of contradictor to my earlier post. The quiet clutch mod was one of the best changes I made. You can hear a lot more engine sounds like the belts whirring and the valves actuating. One of the other advantages is much better control at parking lot speeds or when slipping the clutch. Also, since it is installed in less than 20min and 100% reversible, I'd recommend trying it.

One note, take up was a bit notchy for the first day or two until the old friction plate worked in.

BTW, the clutch noise is a design flaw given the abnormal wear that is attributed to it. There was a thread a while back showing some pics of a pristine basket that used the mod from the start for over 28k miles.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Went to the local Duc meeting last night. Was a beautiful afternoon/night for a ride anyway. I decided to take the dB Killers out. Oh that just sounds/feels so good. I love it when you can feel the motor pulses in your chest.

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
I rode an ST4s with some open pipes. After feeling that in the chest, it sort of took me to the dark side of coring the pipes and chopping the airbox.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I must admit, there's just something about hearing car alarms go off as I ride by that I find rewarding. :)
I've got the DP cans with the airbox left intact. I've gone from dB killers in, out, in, and finally out. I like out. Recently went to our monthly local Italian Bike Nite. Parked between my buddies' 1098S and 1098R (w/ Termignoni). When we fired the bikes up to leave I realized mine just sounded better. Lower tone and a tad louder at idle. I love my ST3S!

BTW - Car Alarms make me smile too ...... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts