Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally decided, after many years, and a couple of sorry attempts more recently, to quit trying to make do with cheap to mid-price boots.
So I blew a bunch this morning on a pair of Daytona Road Star GTXs

I hope I won't regret it, and don't think I will. I saved $100 over local prices, by getting them direct from Germany, otherwise I doubt I could have convinced myself to go for it.

I saw the Spirit GTXs and thought they might have been a better bet in warmer weather, but liked the Road Stars as having more adjustment, and, with twin zippers, perhaps a little easier to get into.

Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone else has these boots and might have any comments, or misgivings.

That said, I've got a feeling this will be money well-spent.

--cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I don't have those model, but I do have a pair of Evo Sports from Daytona and they are amazing. I came from a pair of Supertechs and these are like a night-day difference in quality feel to me. They've held up real well and are pretty comfortable to wear and even walk around in. I'd imagine their other boots are just as nice, they seem to make good stuff.

I know I'd buy another pair without hesitation, but I think these guys will last for a really long time, haha.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I think you will find the quality is extraordinary, I have two pair of the older Daytona boots and the workmanship is the best. I don't need or want waterproof boots as it never rains here but if that changes these would be the boots I would buy. I've tried them on, great stuff.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just watching this Daytona factory tour video:

They're about as close to hand made as you'll get these days by the look of it, and I'm betting the leather is top notch. Got real sick of mid-price boots with cheap stiff leather like cardboard. Last pair I sent back, there was no way I could see ever getting my toe under the gear lever they were so stiff.

Really looking forward to living in these boots - I bet they'll probably see me out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the Daytona road star gtx pro last month. I went with the Pro version because it doesn't have the big logo on the front. Best boots I've had ever. Really happy with them. First few times they seemed a bit harsh, but got comfortable very quickly (500kms or so of use).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kiwi, sounds great. Never thought about the logo, but I doubt it'll bother me (at least it wouldn't have, if you hadn't mentioned it!)
Hope to have 'em soon, and report back.

--cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's one of those things that once you see it, you can't unsee it.

I was just about to get normal ones, then accidentally saw these. Either way, they are great boots.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's one of those things that once you see it, you can't unsee it.

View attachment 1007277
I was just about to get normal ones, then accidentally saw these. Either way, they are great boots.
So, they still have the logo, only embossed, not stitched-on vinyl lettering. Very tasty (y)

Just had a look at FC-Moto where I ordered mine, and don't see that version. Wondering if maybe it was an option or special order for a distributor?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Finally decided, after many years, and a couple of sorry attempts more recently, to quit trying to make do with cheap to mid-price boots.
So I blew a bunch this morning on a pair of Daytona Road Star GTXs
View attachment 1007270

I hope I won't regret it, and don't think I will. I saved $100 over local prices, by getting them direct from Germany, otherwise I doubt I could have convinced myself to go for it.

I saw the Spirit GTXs and thought they might have been a better bet in warmer weather, but liked the Road Stars as having more adjustment, and, with twin zippers, perhaps a little easier to get into.

Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone else has these boots and might have any comments, or misgivings.

That said, I've got a feeling this will be money well-spent.

--cheers
Dave
I am working on my second pair, even tho they are a bit pricey, one of the better boots I have ever purchased. I bought both pairs in the states, did not think for buying them direct.

Reactions: oldratbag

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
They offer more variety from Germany than the States. Custom colors too, if that is important to you. 3-4 week wait is nothing for a pair of boots that could last over 20 years, and they can be resoled by the factory.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They offer more variety from Germany than the States. Custom colors too, if that is important to you. 3-4 week wait is nothing for a pair of boots that could last over 20 years, and they can be resoled by the factory.
I'm not that special. And fortunately I prefer standard black.
Just got notice DHL has the boots, which means I should have 'em by the weekend (y)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Please update with size/fit commentary when they arrive. Interested.....
I sure will. For the record, I ordered size EU 45, like most of my other boots, and expect them to be on the comfortable side. I didn't opt for a particular width, as 'M' seemed the default, and will probably be adequate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had a look at FC-Moto where I ordered mine, and don't see that version. Wondering if maybe it was an option or special order for a distributor?
I ordered mine from the Visor Shop in UK.

I live in New Zealand. Got them in less than 72 hours, thanks DHL.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I wear EU45 in just about every other boot, ordered the same size and it fits perfectly.
That's good to hear.
Did yours flex at the ankle enough to get under the gear lever right away, or did they take some wearing in? That's the problem I've had lately with crappy, stiff boots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's good to hear.
Did yours flex at the ankle enough to get under the gear lever right away, or did they take some wearing in? That's the problem I've had lately with crappy, stiff boots.
First couple of rides were stiff, but that's just leather breaking in a bit. After about a 100 kms, it got a lot more comfortable for me. Also, use the adjustment tabs to make the boot fit around your calf, which helps with flexibility a bit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First couple of rides were stiff, but that's just leather breaking in a bit. After about a 100 kms, it got a lot more comfortable for me. Also, use the adjustment tabs to make the boot fit around your calf, which helps with flexibility a bit.
Thanks, that makes sense. The double zippers and velcro rear adjustment is what sold me on these. That, and the expected quality and suppleness of the leather.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I wear EU45 in just about every other boot, ordered the same size and it fits perfectly.
Thanks for that Jeeper. I am between a 44 and 45 (theoretically). That info is helpful.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
That's good to hear.
... I used to fill new boots with water and let them sit for about a day ... then wear them while they're still soaked for at least a whole day. Military trick, breaks in new boots quickly and nicely. "but the water ... it will wreck my boots" .... no more than your nasty sweaty ass feet will.

:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts