Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For us short riders.

Some of you may know, I had purchased the Daytona Roadstar Boot last month from Revzilla, but I returned them after they failed miserably in the rain. Gortex honored the warranty and rather than getting the same model, I decided to get the M-Star instead allowing me to gain at least 2.5cm or roughly an inch. I was concerned about the shifter, but after some members riding with similar thicker style boots or with motocross boots, I was confident that it wouldn't be an issue, and it has not. Just like any new motorcycle boot, it takes a bit getting use to in order to get the feel for your controls. I'm 5-8", and I still can't flat foot the bike with these boots, but I can place both feet down with my toes. The boot allows me to flat foot the bike with one foot by slightly favoring the bike to one side, and I mean with just a very slight angle versus my other boot where the angle of lean is more.

I guess the biggest convenience factor wearing these boots allows me to place the side stand down with ease. Meaning that I'm able to catch the tab of the side stand and get that stand down on a single shot. For some reason, with my other boots, I struggle at times finding that tab or at times, I can only get that stand halfway down. And since you're a bit taller, your able to swing that leg over that rear seat a bit easier.

I have no idea how the boot will hold up regarding the normal wear and tear of everyday use. My bikes are my only mode of transport so when it comes to gear, I tend to wear them out much quicker than the average rider. And the most common failure when it comes to gear are the zippers, velcro and then the soles.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Vegas:

Glad to hear the new Daytonas are working well. I am so in need of these! I'm just going to have to pull the plug, getting tired of wearing my lace up work boots to ride these bikes. I actually rode today in my cowboy boots that was entertaining.

Got to get those boots. How much did you have to adjust your shifter by the way?

Mark

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I have no idea how the boot will hold up regarding the normal wear and tear of everyday use. My bikes are my only mode of transport so when it comes to gear, I tend to wear them out much quicker than the average rider. And the most common failure when it comes to gear are the zippers, velcro and then the soles.
I've had my Roadstars for six years. The GTX was not available at the time I bought mine so there may be some differences but damned if I can figure what they might be. In any case, they've held up beautifully and unlike your experience, my boots have been dry and warm in the wet. They still look great because they are made from full grain leather. Minor scuffs barely show as a result. I expect you'll get a lot of wear from them.....years of service. Something I do to extend their life is that I don't do a lot of walking in them. If I know I am going to walk around, I'll bring sandals or sneakers with me and use those. I don't much care for walking around in MC boots anyway. But if you do like to hike in your riding boots, these have a lot of rubber there to wear through. I just prefer to use them for what they were made for.

Another nice thing about these boots is the service you can expect from the distributor. Helimot, actually services them! Service, a unique concept! They will re-heel, re-sole them, and repair the zippers making this boot something of a lifetime buy if you maintain the uppers.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they can be hard for me to get into despite the dual zipper construction. I would prefer if the long zipper was on the inside as I think that would help. But once on, they feel good and secure.

You should love these boots. They are the best street riding boot I have tried. Their availability in widths helps me greatly as I have a wide foot so for me, there's just nothing better at any price. I bet they will serve you well for a very long time. Low in flash factor but they make up for it in real and enduring quality of build and materials. And they come in sizes to properly fit almost everyone.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have continued to enjoy the GTX boots four years plus.

With respect, I second nearly every word by Lew above.

Great brand and product support.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Mark, no adjustment with the shifter. Just a matter of getting use to wearing the boots with the bike. It may feel awkward at first, but you will find the feel for the shifter after a while.

@Lew, nice to know that Helimut has repair capabilities. They were my first choice but didn't have my size in stock. I wear my boots everyday, and all day, including at work. Last time I bought a pair of sneakers was almost ten years ago. If I go out with friends and they drive, I wear my boots along with my motorcycle jacket. All my money on clothes pretty much goes to gear. And I have no problem shelling out the money on high end products if they last for at least two years. I have to admit, the Daytona's are very comfortable, but don't offer the protection as much as I like. I really love my BMW Sport Dry Boots, I wore those out, and I will probably get a second pair. The biggest failures for gear, I would have to say #1 are the zippers, then the Velcro losing it's stick, then the soles. I've worn out every pair.

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Hi Vegas. If you wear them every day, everywhere, all bets are off in regard to length of service. I think you'd find it cheaper in the long run to buy a decent pair of shoes and leave them at work to wear on the job. Helimot does service them, but it's not free to have them "repacked."

I think they offer more protection for the street than appears at first glance. They're not flashy, no toe or heel sliders, lacking genuine Mattel ®Imperial Stormtrooper furniture or color coordination, but they'll do the job if you ever need them to. And, you can wear them at work :grin2:

I also have a pair of BMW All Around boots (Gore Tex lined , full coverage but a bit lighter) and City Boots (vented, above the ankle boots for hot weather) but the Daytonas are my best option for protection.

With respect, I second nearly every word by Lew above.

Great brand and product support.
First "respect" I've gotten in ages. Love you man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts