Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has experience with either or both, your input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Purspeed- I take it your in Germany? Since I cant find those boots on a American website. I dont know anything about them, maybe some of our members from Europe can give their two cents. I have crash tested my Sidi's, so I am impartial to them!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually in the San Gabriel Valley area (24 miles East of Los Angeles, California). My body parts are very important to me, so I am seeking out the best equipment (within my budget) to use. Here is a link for you on the boots:

http://www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/index.shtml

Anyone ever heard of D-Air by Dainese?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Both are exceptionally well made boots. Not great if you have sweaty feet, mine roasted in them after the 1st track session. The Security Evo is EXTREMELY stiff, very uncomfortable to walk-in. The inner boot does not allow full extension of ankle, it's designed for forward lean only. The Evo Sport boot is still quite stiff but far more upright allowing some walking in paddock area. I'm still immediately looking for walking shoes when not riding. Many so-called ankle injury experts claim that sort of stiff inner boot design is the safest available. While I personally own the Security Evo (size 47), if I were to buy again, I'd probably opt for the Sport Evo feeling it offers similar safety for considerably less $$ and much greater comfort.

The fit is a bit on the wide side on forefoot, although ankle shape can be fitted using inner boot, so not really an issue. I'm a B-width, US 12.5 size. FWIW: I almost always choose to wear my Sidi Corsa Air (size 47) on track days because they fit just a bit snugger, are MUCH more comfortable for walking and are considerably better vented for my sweaty feet. I did however wear my Security Evo's yesterday at track as temps hovered in the low 50's.

They are ALOT of $$ but you do feel really secure and safe wearing them. Take care.

·
Registered
791 Posts
pure, i don't own either pair yet but i have been eyeing them for the past few months since i was able to try them on for fit and feel. i'll be getting them very shortly. helimot in northern california is the sole distributor here in the US. if you haven't checked out the cost, you're in for a big surprise. yike$$$!!

anyways, i'd advise you to try them on. the securities fit very narrow and stiff. the evos were much more comfortable and can accomadate wider feet. you can compare it to a ski boot and a snowboarding boot. i actually tried them on for about 30 minutes between both while chit-chatting with them. due to cost and comfortability, i'm going with the evo sports. but the securities may work out better for you. depends on what you're looking for. i opted for a 50/50 track and street boot.

so here are my findings...
security evo $1099US
offers way more protection. i seriously don't think you can walk around in these. extremely stiff. however, due to the carbon innerboot it fits like a glove. they updated the original raceboot so i think they call it evo II's now. one things for sure, it is well tested. also, the outer is made of tearproof kangaroo skin which makes the boot alot lighter. the sole is narrow and rounded. there is all kinds of protection, heel, shin, toe, calves, ankles.

evo sports $569US
slightly less protection in comparison. innerboot is made of abs plastic with cf look. it is much more comfortable boot all around. the heel, toe, and sole is wider for stability. made of calf skin so it is heavier. two versions - one water resistant (evo sports gtx) and the other dry (evo sports). this is more of their entry level race/sport boot. built in reflectors for nitetime riding??

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a flexible, medium-narrow foot. How is the room around midsole?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Purspeed said:
I have a flexible, medium-narrow foot. How is the room around midsole?
Not sure what you're asking. The "midsole" is usually described as the material between the boot sole and insole, it runs length of boot. Are you asking about the arch area perhaps? If so, it's relatively low volume. I had a podiatrist build a low profile 1/2 length orthodic which i fit inside mine as I have high arches and am prone to plantar fasciitis (sp?). Take care

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Bigmac.

Cheech, I've been eyeing these boots for a few years now, so I have had some time to deal the the post-traumatic stress from the sticker shock.

It's just a question on whether I should sell my car or refinance the house.

Do you have any real data on impact tests on the CF vs. the ABS?

When you write "very uncomfortable" does that mean that they are also uncomfortable to wear? When riding and using your foot to support when at standstill, can these boots compromise your footing?

These boots are primarily for street use, btw.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Purspeed said:
Thanks for the info Bigmac.

Cheech, I've been eyeing these boots for a few years now, so I have had some time to deal the the post-traumatic stress from the sticker shock.

It's just a question on whether I should sell my car or refinance the house.

Do you have any real data on impact tests on the CF vs. the ABS?

When you write "very uncomfortable" does that mean that they are also uncomfortable to wear? When riding and using your foot to support when at standstill, can these boots compromise your footing?

These boots are primarily for street use, btw.
pure, no factual data on the boots. i would call helimot to see if they have that information. like bigmac says, they are very well made boots. your foot would be commited in forward lean position on the securities. the evos are more relaxed and better for walking around in them. so if you're using primarily for street, i would go with the evos. imo tho...

on your previous comment about midsole, they are pretty much average width and flat. if you have high arch, i think some sole inserts would help.

when i mentioned "uncomfortable", on the securities, it felt as if my feet were binding due to the stiffness. they're not uncomfortable if you're sitting on your bike. i was walking and standing around in them. you'll need to try them on to see what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had the Evo Sports GTX and Daytona boots generally for years along with my brother-in-law and most of my other professional riding friends and colleagues. However, they are on their second inner shoe under warranty as they had problems with them breaking up (with too much walking?) This was true also of another pair in the group. They changed the design and you can upgrade to the full top spec Kevlar inner version if you wish. Daytona in Germany turned them around in about 2weeks.

Very comfortable on me with a very narrow ankle and e/F fitting. Sole does not last more than say 10000 miles before needing redoing, especially the left foot; again Daytona give quick turnaround. You can buy the inners and outers separately (buy two outers....) Also the height of the boot from top to sole is quite thick and you may need to adjust your gear lever height subtly to accommodate it compared to other boots in your armoury. All told, I would buy them again. The best by miles.

Velociphile

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Evo basic and Security are awesome boots. If you're looking for something less expensive, however, that I feel offers the same level of protection, check out the Alpinestars Supertechs.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Dainese too. Their reinforced boot (Axial Race) is $399

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=773%7CDainese%20Collection&productID=4593&showDetail=1&categoryID=774|Boots&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=773%7CDainese%20Collection

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
Purspeed said:
If anyone has experience with either or both, your input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I've worn both, own a pair of Evo's, and agree with what Mr. Mac has written. Both are extremely comfortable on the bike, the Evo's are comfortable walking around.

but I keep my distance covered, while walking in them, to a minimum.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've owned several brands of boots and several years ago went with the Frey Daytona Evo Security boot. Best boot I have ever owned and based on how well it is made and how it has fared over the last 5 years, it will last a lifetime - I'll never need to buy another boot.

There is a loss of feel, especially on the top of your left foot for downshifts (if GP gearing), or upshifts (street gearing). It takes some getting used to.

I can easily walk around in my Security boots but after 5 years, perhaps I'm just used to them.

I have heard that other companies have recently developed high-protection boots at a much more realistic price point. They would be worth checking out especially since the only distributor for Frey boots in the US is Helimot.

If you live near Helimot and are able to try on the boots, go that route. Helimot askes people to draw out an outline of their foot and measure across & down and write down the inches and then fax this info to them so they have a (fairly) good idea of your correct size. In theory that works, but after sending back 2 sets (they refused to help out with shipping...), it was annoying that they continued to send me the wrong size.... My current boots are really snug and I should have gone up a size (EU sizing). And being the only US distributor, markup is insane.

Definately look at the other brands making ultimate protection boots.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts