Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Daytona Boots - anyone wearing?

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  showerfan 
#1 ·
I needed a good riding boot and after a bunch of video watching and review reading I decided on Daytona's... Traveller GTX Touring. Anyone have any input on Daytona boots or the Traveller style? Seemed like everyone thinks they're one of the best boots on the market, but you can barely find them in the US (I found a place in Germany that will ship them).

#3 ·
I've been riding Daytona boots for close to 20 years. Love them! Just had my current pair re-soled last year by Helimot. Too bad they can't do anything about the shift pads that are now missing without making the boot non-waterproof. :(

When this pair dies I'll probably get another. Why mess with a good thing?

#4 ·
Can't fix the shift pad? How about going back to Germany?

One of the more appealing things about Daytona was the repairability of their boots... it sounded like almost any 'wear' could be fixed (zippers, Velcro, sole...), don't recall them saying they could fix the pad but I guess I thought that would be easy to repair.

#6 ·
Probably one of the BEST makers of motorcycle boots out there!!! I had them, loved them. to death.

My current DAINESE boots arent as well put together, but were in the SALE! :-S

#8 ·
That's where I first saw them... but they have a VERY limited selection and didn't have my size or the particular boot I liked. Didn't know about Helimot when I ordered so I got them from a German site (the one I linked to in the first post).

Prices really didn't seem that terrible to me (a lot of reviewers commented on the 'premium price'), I pay nearly as much for my Asolo hiking boots (which are a simple design in comparison).

#10 ·
Not trying to hijack your thread, but I was considering Daytona earlier this year but ended up going with the TCX Infinity EVO Gore-Tex. I went with them and have no regrets. I ended up choosing them because they have buckles instead of zippers. I have bad luck breaking zippers on my gear and I also didn't feel I could snug the fit as well with zippers and velcro vs buckles and velcro. And the Michelin sole is amazing. I have over 10K miles on these boots and I always put my left foot down at a stop on the ball of my foot (5'6" on a Multistrada) and you cannot see any more wear compared to my right foot which stays on the peg and rear brake.

The TCXs have a fit consistent with other European brands like Sidi and Alpinestars.

As far as shopping, consdier Motostorm: Abbigliamento Moto Caschi ed Accessori | MotoStorm I have ordered a lot of items from them and saved $100s of dollars. They have a flat shipping of $30 which still saves you a lot of money and the items arrive in less than 5 business days via FedEx. Haven't had any issues with customs.

Eric

#12 ·
One great thing that many people don't know is there are a couple of the Daytona options made for those that are inseam challenged.
For women the Lady Star GTX and for men the M-Star GTX give an extra 2.3 inches of ground reach. For my wife that that was a sizable confidence booster when she got her S1000RR.

#14 ·
First set of boots I bought upon returning to riding. Daytona Road Stars (not the GTX). Super comfy as everyone says, great for light touring. Got mine at Helimot.

Reactions: scott
#15 ·
Boots just arrived... 7 days from Germany - not too shabby.

Seem very comfortable... need to ride with them to really form an impression but I like what I see so far.

#17 ·
So when you get stiff boots like the Daytona's did you find you needed to adjust the shift lever position up? I rode in to work today and had to work to get my toe under the shifter in the default (as delivered) position... it's quite a bit below the neutral or natural position of the boot - and the stiffness made me have to work to move my foot under the shifter. That combined with less feel (compared to my old boots... which didn't have the thick shift pad) made for a number of missed shifts and false neutrals.

#18 · (Edited)
I have had to adjust the shift and brake lever on several bikes after using different boots. On my wife's S1000RR she picked up the HP rearsets and that made adjustment very simple for her to make perfect adjustments for her boots.

#19 ·
Have a couple weeks on them now... very nice boot. Definitely had to move the shift lever up from stock position... not a full notch though (then it was hard to shift down), had to adjust the little turnbuckle until I found the sweet spot where both up and down didn't require too much boot flex.

At first I fought with the zippers like many others... but found that if I zip the right zipper of both boots all the way down (because I'm right handed) and the left zippers partway (just the straight section) it's very easy to zip the boots back up (zip up right zipper and then the left).

Boots are very comfortable and fit and finish on them is flawless.

Reactions: Focker and scott
#22 · (Edited)
50,000'ish miles on the Daytona's report...

So nearly 4 riding seasons with the Daytona's so I thought I'd give some 'long term' feedback... but really it's just to reiterate what everyone says earlier in the thread, the boots are every bit as good as their reputation and IMO the price is a smoking deal. There is some superficial scuffing around the shift pad on the left boot but it's not bad and polished up pretty well:

Attachments

Reactions: motoman2 and scott
#23 ·
Daytona is the best motorcycle boot maker in the world. I think the strives are the best choice for anything from commuting, to weekend warriors carving canyons, to sport touring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.