Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
OK, so I worked out an intermittent start problem was caused by the recently stopped working alarm. I was happy it stopped working, I hated the thing, and realising I needed to tear it out was no bad thing.

The biggest drawback was that I hate wiring and electrics.

Anyway, after searches on here and reading other people's stories I figured it would be straight forward enough.

The system itself came out pretty easy, and everywhere I was disconnecting the alarm from I could spot the original connection close by.

Upon completion it spun over better than its ever done before, but the fuel pump didn't prime and obviously the bike didn't fire.

I noticed a factory connection under the rear seat. Two white/brown wires into the factory connector. I can also see a cut and resoldering of the brown/white wire that goes to the engine management relay. My wiring diagram indicates the final piece of the jigsaw is here, but I cannot get to the bottom of it. I've tried working it out, but it doesn't seem to perfectly match my diagram, nor has trial and error helped. I've tried different combos of this connector to the wires at the relay (I've recut that solder), and at one point I think all four ends touched together. The fuel pump primed, but the relay clicked away like crazy.

If anyone can help, or just show me how its wired from factory I'd be hugely grateful!

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I removed a data tool from my 748, after seeing the amount of connections that had to be remade I opted to simply replace the right side loom. Easy enough to find and not expensive used (maybe not so easy in NZ!) but a much more reliable solution, just make sure you get one from a similar year bike. If it ran before it unlikely the issue is under the seat, more likely in the repaired part of the loom unless the data tool was also joined at the ECU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
Seeing as how close this is, replacing the loom is certainly not something I'm considering.
From the photo attached you can see the connector which was disconnected from the alarm, and I've no obvious place for it to go.

If anyone could show me a photo of their under seat wiring I'd be hugely grateful. Mine's a '97.

I've also noticed the relay clicks initially, but then again after a few secs. So turning on then off. I'm wondering if that relay is perhaps at fault, surely it shouldn't click 'off' should it?

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm overseas at the moment so can't help you out with all the colours etc but here's an image of mine before the rebuild. The spare connector you can see is the connection to the tail light. I don't think it's the same as the one you're holding in your pic - I think that goes to a coil or sensor on the left side (just a guess) I'm sure someone else here will have the answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
The rely click is normal. It means that they work and are getting power. The brown/white wire is fine as well.

You are going to have to trace the harness from the fuel pump down to the relays to the left of the battery, possibly farther.

Make sure you aren't getting power to the fuel pump first. Well, do that second after checking the fuses. If you are getting power to the fuel pump then it happened to fail at the same time you removed the alarm. Then you know you need a fuel pump and problem solved.

Pleas post pictures of the other locations that the alarm was connected to. If you need a wiring diagram for the next step of work, let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not the tail lights. Thats reconnected. My lights works fine. Literally, its just the fuel issue.

I have a wiring diagram, although its a Haynes one... My wires don't quite match what the book says. Surprise surprise!

My book says the brown/white out of the engine management relay should go straight to the fuel pump? I have power at the relay, but not at the brown/white fuel connection - which is power to the fuel pump, right?

Now i know the relay is working as it should I'll do a little more digging later. Fuses are all fine btw, i keep checking them. The 15A engine management one should be the only one in this circuit, and I've even replaced it just to be safe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Seeing as how close this is, replacing the loom is certainly not something I'm considering.
From the photo attached you can see the connector which was disconnected from the alarm, and I've no obvious place for it to go.

If anyone could show me a photo of their under seat wiring I'd be hugely grateful. Mine's a '97.

I've also noticed the relay clicks initially, but then again after a few secs. So turning on then off. I'm wondering if that relay is perhaps at fault, surely it shouldn't click 'off' should it?

Thanks for reading!
Isnt that the connector,that in original loom is just not used? And the wires are connected together. There is a kind of loop made. I think if those wires are not together,it cuts the power from fuel pump.
But not sure,i have 1098 loom now. Just remembering,since i remowed datatool also from old 996 loom.

edit: ah, good old memory, it was like i thought.. ;)

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/66143-996-electrical-help-needed-please.html

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
if you need a a new harness, i have one from a 98 748, front and rear harness. problem is you never really know how much the previous owner(s) hacked up the harness. after a while it just easier and less of a head ache to replace then fix all the problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
edit: ah, good old memory, it was like i thought.. ;)
Right you were too! Thanks very much for your help!

Thanks also to Gary for the heads up about the loom, but mines in good condition and I just had this tiny niggle to get round.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts