Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm going the Wasp upgrade for ECU and power commander so this means I'm not limited to the stock dash instrument pod right? With our Tach sensor does anybody know of a aftermarket option? I plan on using one of the track dash systems but would still like to put a standard sweeping hand tach on. Idea's anyone? This will be a track only bike

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Wrong, the ECU and the gauges are "tied" together, at least if the ECU has been red keyed.

I'd love to know if it would be possible to run the bike without the gauges connected. If anyone has done this, please let us know.

Having had the gauges replaced once (fortunately under warranty), if they ever die again, I'd be interested in exploring different options.

Rob

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Wrong, the ECU and the gauges are "tied" together, at least if the ECU has been red keyed.

I'd love to know if it would be possible to run the bike without the gauges connected. If anyone has done this, please let us know.

Having had the gauges replaced once (fortunately under warranty), if they ever die again, I'd be interested in exploring different options.

Rob
you can run the bike without the speedo and miles-counter. but don't know about the tach. they are two separate connections.. but you can't remove it since they are linked to the key, as part of the anti-theft system.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can run the bike without the speedo and miles-counter. but don't know about the tach. they are two separate connections.. but you can't remove it since they are linked to the key, as part of the anti-theft system.

If you are using any form of aftermarket ECU it is not tied to the red key. Plus it seems you are correct if the red key has never been stuck in the bike the stock one is still not tied to it until somebody uses the key.

So it seems the question still stands if anyone knows of a stand alone tach to use?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i would looooove to replace the instrument cluster with the following:

b.o.t. (big ol' tach)
speedo/odo
multiple trip counter

all housed in a custom alum. plate dash of my own design. i'm not a fan of the plastic stockers and both my speedo and tach go haywire from time-to-time for no apparent reason - this also happened on my previous gt1000.

i'd be happy to eliminate the immobilizer altogether as well.

i also have a replacement ecu and pcIII installed (no red key used) so it looks like the trick would be figuring out which aftermarket instruments would be compatible with the signals from the engine (tach) and rear wheel (speedo/odo/trip)...

anyone? anyone??

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
they wont run without the dash connected.
check with yoyodyne they might have a athon or xenon gps gauge set that could work, but it wont have a speedo pickup

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i also have a replacement ecu and pcIII installed (no red key used)

anyone? anyone??
Geoff I'm outta country still so can't horse around with mine but since you have aftermarket ECU on yours try disconnecting the Dash pod and see if she starts with out it. Can't hurt to try I'd think.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I have just been looking at the wiring diagram for our bikes, and it is definitely not possible to start the bike without the instrument console connected. The wiring from the key hooks into the console.

If someone has an instrument console that has died, or at least that is partially faulty (like the needles not working on it), and can send it to me, I am happy to work out if/how the console can be bypassed, and how aftermarket tacho and speedo can be hooked up. (Might as well put that degree in Elec. Eng. that I got years ago to good use.)

Rob

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have just been looking at the wiring diagram for our bikes, and it is definitely not possible to start the bike without the instrument console connected. The wiring from the key hooks into the console.

If someone has an instrument console that has died, or at least that is partially faulty (like the needles not working on it), and can send it to me, I am happy to work out if/how the console can be bypassed, and how aftermarket tacho and speedo can be hooked up. (Might as well put that degree in Elec. Eng. that I got years ago to good use.)

Rob
Ahhh I read your PM before I read your post. So it looks like off to Ebay I go to find a cheap cheap busted dash.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
yessss!! i love being in frankenstein "reverse-engineering" mode! let the dissection begin...

muahahaha!!!

seriously though, it would be awesome to wire up a bypass jumper that has connectors on it for aftermarket speedo/odo and tach, as well as 2-pin plugs for the dash lights (check engine, fuel, etc.)

if you figure it out, i'd be happy to buy this little "mini-harness" - you might even have a marketable item as well...

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I've been wading through the wiring diagram, and a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) The instrument console provides the immobilizer functionality

2) Manages the indicators (easily implemented by alternative means)

For a street bike, I think we want to keep the immobilizer functionality, so looking at how a new instrument console could be created, the best/easiest option is the keep the console, but hide it away.

Using this method, I can see how everything could be hooked up except for the tacho.

The speedo input is taken straight of the hall effect sensor at the rear wheel, this sensor currently drives both the ECU and the console. Warning lights, etc, could be picked up off the current console.

The current tacho input is a sensor that feeds in to the ECU, but it is not possible to work out from the wiring diagram how the tacho signal is then passed onto the console. I have sent Greg (Wasp) as message to see if he has any info that might help as he has spoken about developing a replacement ECU.

For a track bike, it might be possible to eliminate the console altogether, but this still requires more investigation.

I'll keep you posted if I make any further progress.

If anyone has any ideas of particular instruments they want to use in creating a new console, please let me know.

Cheers

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
cool! thanks for the research rob.

i personally would be happy without the immobilizer - more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. in fact, the less electronics the better for me. i'd be looking for a simple sub-harness that receives the plug that goes into the oem dash cluster and has a set of labled leads coming off it for a tach, speedo, warning lights and power to light the guages.

that way i could simply build my own dash, locate the guages/warning lights where i want 'em and solder on the appropriate plugs for each.

i suppose if you wanted to leave the immobilizer on the bike you could make your sub-harness long enough to allow the whole cluster to be tucked under the tank (might work if you had pod filters and no airbox) or if you can take the cluster apart without destroying it, pull out the electronics for the immobilizer and find a place to stash them.

that seems like a lot of work to me, so i prefer the "track bike setup" which gives me freedom to design a custom dash and put the bike back to stock easily later if needed.

please keep us posted on your progress!

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
GTRossi, have you had a look at the Motogadget web site?

http://www.motogadget.de/en/frameset.html

They have a very nice looking analog tacho with a digital display for speed/odometer/etc, as well as incorporating the idiot lights. This could make an extremely neat all in one solution.

Also looking at their web site, they have a tacho pickup that works by just cable tying it to an ignition lead, so that solves the tacho problem if there is not an output form the ECU.

Motogadget also have a nice looking modern high-tech display if anyone was wanting to go that route.

Once again, it would be very useful if you do have a tacho and speedo in mind that you want to use, so that I have something to work towards. Otherwise I will use the Motogadget products as a guide as they appear to have good information available.

I think to be able to progress any further, I'll need to get hold of another instrument console that I can work and test with. I don't want to take my bike off the road. I'll see if any one on the forum has a unit that they can donate. And also, I think some Monsters also had the same console as our bikes.

Rob

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Rob
Correction ... I was incorrect about the key only hooking into the instrument console. Turning the key on switches power to both the console and the ECU.

The starter button is wired directly to the ECU.

BUT, and it is a big BUT, there are three wired that go directly between the ECU and the console. Without pulling everything apart and trying to measure signals, my guess on these three wires is:

• one is a tacho signal, and

• the other two are data communication between the ECU and the console, which is how the two are tied together (at least if red keyed), and how the ECU tells the console to light the EOBD light (if necessary).
It might be possible to start the bike without the instrument console connected if the ECU has not been red-keyed, but I haven't tried it.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
more great sleuthing work! of course getting a set of clocks to dissect will be the critical bit...

the motogaget stuff is gorgeous but pretty costly - i'll start searching around for aftermarket instruments and see what i can find that looks good and has the necessary functionality.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
of course getting a set of clocks to dissect will be the critical bit...
Yes, this is the hard part. They are expensive on ebay, ~$500, and unfortunately no response to my request for faulty/dead unit. (Ducati keep the old unit if they replace it under warranty :( )

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The ones off my 07 GT where left behind when they took my bike. They are trashed pretty bad though. what parts do you need?

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The ones off my 07 GT where left behind when they took my bike. They are trashed pretty bad though. what parts do you need?
I'll take the dashboard regardless of what condition it is in.

PM sent.

thanks

Rob

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I just received a faulty speedo unit, so I can start investigating properly.

Unfortunately it is a busy time for me right now, and all my bike projects are pretty much on hold until after Christmas.

I'll post results as soon as I have something.

Cheers

Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts