Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep wanting to buy one or the other but I also keep thinking none of the present market offers a great option.
GoPro or Innovv K2? Why should I pay for something costing that much with so many issues???
Gopro's issues:
GoPro Hero 7 Black (cost today about $300 plus accessories)
  • Unresponsive screen. While the Hero 7 Black'stouchscreen is largely improved, it has one major shortcoming: it's not very responsive! ...
  • Voice commands are unreliable. Another feature that is hit or miss is voice control. ...
  • No mic jack. ...
  • Battery life. ...
  • Low light performance.
Innovv K2 Dash Cam Issues: Cost today about $340

• No separate remote-control, other than in using connected device and app
  • Front and Back cameras cannot be set to differing resolutions/frames
  • Park Mode features need fine-tuning
  • Mapping playback procedure can be fussy
  • Recessed storage card hard to remove
  • Recorded audio not very clear or loud

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does it need to be waterproof for outside use on a bike? Does it need to have voice commands, a remote screen and a bunch of other useless crap? If not, consider a Mobius Actioncam. They have VERY good image quality, can be configured to record on power on in a loop, decent battery if not wired to a USB plug in, good feature set, and are under $100.

I've been using them on my race bike for years. They mount with a single 1/4" bolt so you can literally put them anywhere you can drill a hole or fab a bracket.

I always liked reviewing the rear camera after races. I could see who was killing themselves to catch me, and if they did, where I was slow enough to be passed and how they set up for it. Very informative. Also recorded some classics. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Zaph...I will look into it. Yes, I agree all these options on waterproofing, voice control etc might not be necessary but what kills me is that those brands (GoPro or others) makes you pay a price but do not deliver what they advertise...Cheers and stay safe on the race track...:)

·
Administrator
11,957 Posts
What about the second recommendation I made in the other thread, the Thinkware M1?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the second recommendation I made in the other thread, the Thinkware M1?
Hi Scott.... I have not been able yet to find pros and cons comments on the Thinkware M1 but I am not sure I am ready to spend $500 on a dash cam anyway...thanks for the options anyway...cheers

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
How are you going to use it? Because that’s going to make a difference as to what you need.

Related to that , and this is probably a contrary opinion but I have found it more useful at a track day to have a friend with a faster motorbike follow me with MY GoPro on it. Then I see better my lines and my body position and I have found it more helpful that with the camera on my bike. So then it makes a lot of the desired features not as necessary or important.

677FB623-2D4C-4080-82BF-88ED18BACE56.jpeg
677FB623-2D4C-4080-82BF-88ED18BACE56.jpeg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great photos...My purpose would 90% be commuting in Los Angeles 42 miles round trip on the Hwy. I prefer having a permanent camera system that goes on when the bike is on. Just for witness/Insurance type of stuff and 10% watching the scenery going up and down Angeles Forest Hwy....But I see why a go pro would be good in your case

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have an older version of this which has been good, although not used a huge amount.

My wife has a car "dash" cam version with one unit by the rear view mirror and another wired up in the back window rear facing. So, 2 cams in 1.

Apeman Camera

·
Registered
46 Posts
Biggest hassle of my gopro on my helmet is keeping it charged and removing the data. If it was purely for insurance purposes, something that automatically clears data on a weekly/monthly basis is what I’d look for first. That way only check the card when you need to.

The gopro is good for vlogging/recording stuff to share or look back on due to the quality of recording, but not my choice of dashcam. Also, the 7 does not have the ability to remove the battery to swap out for a fresh one. There are also little other features it boasts over that of the 6 (Although trying to find a good new 6 Black was nearly impossible) other than slowmotion changes and hypersmooth stabilization. Not worth it imho if you can find a 6 black.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Mobius action cams are really popular in Russia and that should tell you something - in Russia everyone has a dashcam. Not sure why but all the freaky YouTube dashcam classics come from Russia. Meteors, cars flying in the sky, etc. So if you want to capture events while driving, that might be the one. Just put a monster memory card in it, set it to record with ignition on power and loop, recording over old footage and forget about it. Eventually you will capture something you want or need. There actually might be waterproof cases available too.

These are still good for track days. Some of my buddies have multiple cameras on their bikes since they are so small, wired to bike-on power, so every time they go out for a session they are recording front and rear views. They have quite a few adjustments in the Msetup software.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Mobius action cams are really popular in Russia and that should tell you something - in Russia everyone has a dashcam. Not sure why but all the freaky YouTube dashcam classics come from Russia. Meteors, cars flying in the sky, etc. So if you want to capture events while driving, that might be the one. Just put a monster memory card in it, set it to record with ignition on power and loop, recording over old footage and forget about it. Eventually you will capture something you want or need. There actually might be waterproof cases available too.
The reason is insurance scams. People will either jump right onto your car... or just fall down and claim you hit them.
The cameras save alot of hassle...

rex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts