Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an SD Darmah for sale. How accurate are the Falloon factory numbers ? This has Type 860SD; Fr 950389, En 903800 which if I interpret correctly is 1980, however plates indicates 1979, purchase documents first sale in late '79. How can it be 1979 with numbers that are first used 1980 ?

Any pluses or minuses with electric start only as this is ?

Are the speedline wheels obviously stamped, this has claimed FPS but I do not know what a speedline looks like ?

Andy

·
Registered
286 Posts
Andy, the numbers are just like automotive numbers. Manuf dates late in the lear typically were the next year's model etc. Please post a foto and I will tell you if the wheels are FPS or SPEEDLINE very easily.

Also, the FPS wheels actually say FPS in raised letters on a spoke which makes it even easier for you to tell.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Speedline wheels are easy to identify. The word 'Speedline' is cast onto one of the spokes along with the date of manufacture. Visually they can be distinguished by much wider spokes than the other wheels fitted to bevel twins.

Traditionally bikes with a build date in the last three or four months of the year are sold as the next year's models. Often the end of August is used as the cut-off date.

Ducati frame and engine numbers can vary substantially as the motors were stockpiled and used as needed.

If what you are looking at is the bike shown by the link, it has FPS rather than Speedline wheels. It still has four bolt brake disks rather than the later six bolt ones. At an indicated 19 000 kms and in what looks to be a super-clean condition you would be hard pressed to find a better one.

Bruce

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have another question, for the 79 Darmah is the headlight reflector readily available ? I ask because english registered examples are available but the headlight will need to be changed for use in mainland europe. Is it a complete
unit or are glass and reflector separate ?

Regards

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You are in luck! the Darmah headlight is a Bosch unit, the same as fitted to BMW's AND the glass is available seperately.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Duccout,

so does just the lens need to be replaced or the reflector as well, direct replacement with a /7 headlight ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the cheaper option turned out to be a scam, however I am am going to view the Darmah referenced earlier, with a transporter !

Apparently its running and test rideable, as I have no experience of bevel twins can anybody advise me what to be looking out for, noises, leaks, weeps etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
on the photo of the clocks shown in the link above, the RH switchgear seems to be in a rather odd position, I would expect it to be flush with the throttle grip
I can only imagine that the wiring has failed and been shortened, requiring the re-siting of the switch assy. Or could there be another reason which I should be aware of ?

Regards

·
Registered
115 Posts
It looks to me as though the owner has substituted the standard single pull twistgrip for a double cable item as fitted to an SS. The cables are located above the brake lever to get a better run to the carbs. Some sources recommend this modification for better control of the carburetors.

As to your other questions, if it starts easily, idles well, doesn't smoke excessively and all the proper parts are there and are in working condition, then you should be alright. From the photos the bike looks to be in excellent condition and the throttle modification shows that the owner is probably a perfectionist.

You can analyze photos and ask questions ad infinitum but there's no substitute for seeing the bike in the metal.

Bruce

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's mine !

As thought its in unbelievably good condition for a 30yr old bike, all chrome is near perfect as is the paint. It comes with a what looks like a very well painted whale tail seat, plus the original flip up, new tyres, chain, sprockets, caliper overhaul kits, carb overhaul kits, ss fasteners, forks and shocks new seals, choke, clutch and Tomaselli twin throttle cables, cush drive rubber, clutch, original manuals (French!) toolkit. It starts first time, idles, no smoke.

On the downside it looks as if its got a leak on the gearbox output shaft, and some misting around the clutch inspection window, also it seems that the chain has been allowed to become too slack and there is a little scoring on the case.The whale tail seat cover is not original.

Unfortunately I cannot ride it at the moment, have to run the gauntlet of TüV.

·
Registered
115 Posts
On the downside it looks as if its got a leak on the gearbox output shaft, and some misting around the clutch inspection window, also it seems that the chain has been allowed to become too slack and there is a little scoring on the case.
From my experience the only Dukes that don't do that are the ones that have never been ridden.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Bruce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts