Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a good opportunity to test many things this last weekend on an extended ride. Recently I bought a couple of dark smoked face shields for some Suomy helmets I have. I skipped all the hi tech sounding and expensive shields in favor of just a generic dark smoke.

What I found to be a real problem with this shield is the fact under certain lighting angles the shield will show what looks like a heavy film on the surface. At first I thought it was on the inside of the shield and efforts to clean it were negative. I concluded its actually in the plastic. When the sun is behind me or right over the problem is non-existant and the shield works great, but put the sun in front of you and its like looking through a cloud. It gets particularily dangerous when traversing twisties in thick forests. The film obscures your vision and its hard to see the roadway mixed with the shadows from the trees. When the sun is in front of you at a downward angle its almost unbearable, the combination of the cloudiness and the lack of light protection because the "dark" is not dark enough. If you put your hand out to block the sun and cast a shadow of your hand on the shield, everything is good and no film also.

I need a replacement shield, these shields are no good. Does anyone have a recommendation on a shield that doesn't perform like the above? At this point I'm open to the higher dollar shields, if they work the way they should then they are worth it. However, I recall having a more expensive shield once, it had a deep blue tint to it. I learned not to use anything on it but water to clean it. Otherwise, products like Windex or others with solvents in it like alcohol or ammonia screw it up and eventually the coating came off.

·
Still needs a life.
12,599 Posts
After my accident near Weaverville last May, I will re-evealuate my use of a dark face shield. Although I have no memory of the accident, the evidence suggests that I hit a large rock hidden in a shadow. I was riding with a dark face shield while wearing sun glasses. The combination may have rendered the rock invisible in the shadow.

John: have you considered wearing a quality pair of sunglasses under a clear face shield? I wear contacts when I ride and have found that I need the extra layer of eye protection to keep dust out of my contacts and to keep them from drying out more quickly than they already do.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Have you tried....................

......................a mirrored shield? For me anyways, they do a good job of cutting the sunlight/glare but they're not so dark. A little more expensive but worth it IMO. (Plus they look good!)
Gregg

·
Señor Member
8,234 Posts
I wear prescription glasses including a pair of sunglasses. I tried a dark faceshield with the sunglasses and found things were hidden everywhere. Went to a clear faceshield and have no problems seeing obstacles on the road. I was told not to use a mirrored faceshield because my sunglasses are polarized which can cause images to be incredibly distorted.

"in God we trust"

·
Registered
326 Posts
For the last 4 years I've been using an Arai chrome visor on my RX7-Corsair. I've never experienced obscured vision at any sun angle. In those 4 years, the tint has remained intact...but of course I only use a sponge and warm water to clean it.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Mixture of AGV and Arai helmets, all with clear shields. I wear sunglasses when needed or can move to interchangeable Oakley lenses if need be (different light conditions). Like Bill, A gent friend of ours went down hard after hitting a large rock in a shady section, he didn't see it. He wears a helmet with a dark shield and doesn't have perfect eyesight.

Go back to a clear shield for a while and report back.

Hope all is well

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'm blind so I wear prescription lenses and dark clip-on sunshades with a clear visor. I have polarized clip-ons but can't stand them on the bike, they make tar look oily at certain angles.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm blind also. I've been using a light smoke on my Arai and I like it so far. I also have a strip of auto tinting I can put on with water. looks a little goofy but works good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had lasik a few years back but even before I didn't use the dark face shields. Some of my rides span into the evening (though they almost never start before sunrise!) and I didn't like changing shields (or trying to ride with it up). I have some Polycarbonate lens sunglasses that I wear when the occasion arises, and it's easy enough to pull over and don or doff them as the light changes. The only problem I have is that the sunglasses are also polarized -- which actually is a good thing -- but it creates a strange distortion on the LCD panel on the ST.

If you do ride with corrective or sunglasses, may I suggest you make sure they are not glass? It would be a horrible misfortune to suffer through an accident and end up compounding it with an eye injury from glass.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Scorpion with dark smoked shield and I've never had the problem you described. 20/20 vision still...knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scorpion with dark smoked shield and I've never had the problem you described. 20/20 vision still...knock on wood.
I wonder who their shield supplier is, I have too many helmets as it is.

·
9,757 Posts
If some of you are finding that you're missing things on the road because the tint on your shield is too dark then why don't you get a light smoke shield? Every manufacturer out there makes various degrees of tinted shields. Clear shields will tire your eyes out on a bright day, and sunglasses limit your peripheral vision (not to mention they're distracting as hell).

As far as shields in general go, my favorite is AGV's dark smoke shield. AGV shields are just perfect. They never scratch, they don't distort, and they combine a very dark tint with excellent clarity.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Clear shields will tire your eyes out on a bright day, and sunglasses limit your peripheral vision (not to mention they're distracting as hell).
How did you arrive at that? Should I believe you or my lying eyes?

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Ease up with the sass miss.

Me and 6 billion other human beings as well as that hoo-doo called science agree that bright light and UV rays harm your eyes. Unless you're some kind of superhuman who doesn't squint at sunlight then I'm pretty sure bright light tires your eyes out too.
You answered my question better than you could have imagined.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Is that supposed to be you being smug and clever?

Aww, how nice! :)
It was supposed to be me pointing out that you don't know what you're talking about. My sunshades don't interfere with my peripheral vision, nor are they distracting.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone have the same issue with their shield as I do? Again, I have a dark smoked Suomy shield and the condition I'm concerned about is a haze or foggy effect when the sun is in front, coming in at a higher angle. Also, even though the shield is considered a dark smoke, it doesn't offer much protection from the sun when its coming at you from over the horizon. I can live with the lack of protection from down low, its the first condition of haze that is both unsafe and uncomfortable.

I see advantages with the sunglasses and clear shield remedy, especially when you have to drive home at night. No cool factor though, but in this case I'm into function not style so much.

Speaking of style, the mirrored shield sounds great, but I wonder if the coating is as sensitive as some other "hi tech" coatings I've had in the past. Work good until they start to delaminate. Expensive, work good for awhile then they delaminate and are then rendered useless by using cleaners other than clear water.

The newer UV sensitive sunshields sound promising. I'll look into this too. The technology is getting better. I had a couple sets of riding sunglasses 30 odd years ago and came to the conclusion they were too dark for safe night riding.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i run a suomy dark tint.never had any issues at all,but would agree certain sun angles early morn or late eve can be distracting.but i'd be suprised if any sheild would be better.perhaps you have a faulty one.perhaps its time for a trip to the eye guy.vision does go downhill in a hurry with age

1 - 20 of 22 Posts