Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would update the overnight road trip to view the heavens in Adin, Ca. on Friday July 20th. If any of you have taken a look at a map, the roads leading to Adin look fantastic, I think they will represent some of the best Nor Cal has to offer.

Since we are a few weeks out and a few of you expressed interest in going its time to gauge whos in and whos not. I have a couple extra rooms reserved at the Bieber Hotel in Bieber, Ca., about 10 miles out of Adin where the astronomy viewing event is taking place (rooms are cheap). Basically we walk around the grounds there looking through some fabulous telescopes at some very interesting and beautiful astronomical objects. We ride up Friday afternoon and return the next morning on Saturday.

So, who is still interested in going?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Replying from Philippines - on visit here w/ wife (her hometown Davao City) and kids until 7/13. I initially had marked to attend what sounds like an impressive display of astronomy, but looks like the time off here has deemed some OT work to catch up. Thanks for organizing John.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PMs out, waiting on confirmations

I Pmed all those who expressed an interest in going. Hope to hear back soon because I have two extra rooms reserved for the night of the 20th, Friday.

I wonder if DucShep can get the time off and Delta Duc would like to go?

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a PM Quan.

·
Go for it!
461 Posts
Thanks John for setting up this trip. Pretty incredible experience. I actually saw Saturn with its rings for the first time. The place was perfect for viewing the sky.

The ride was good. John led the ride to the astronomy site. We almost hit a deer On the way there as the sun was setting. We occasionally honked our horn to ward off those deer.

We got our rest after a late night. Headed toward Redding around 10 am. The ride temp was high 70s until we got closer Redding. John and I split at the junction of 299 and 44. I slab it from Redding to Stockton and John rode back on 89 to his trailer. I encountered low 100s all the way to Stockton. It wasn't too bad as long as I kept in motion.

Got home safely. Waiting for John to report. Hope you got home safe as well. Good to see you again.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
That really sounds like a great time! I am surprised you didn't engineer some A/C for the ride home :D

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Quan for not calling you when I finally got back to town. I was thinking the same thing about you having to put up with the 100 degree temps all the way back. You would have been late for your event even if we didn't pass the correct turn off 299. I didn't get home til after 6pm and you still had another hour from my place to Stockton.

Quan and I went on a big ride, took us a lot longer than anticipated, my calculations were off and by leaving almost three hours late, we got to the dark sky sight much later than anticipated. But the views were "out of this world". I have never seen anything like it even as a kid camping. The location is one of the darkest places in California. Unfortunately, because it takes longer to traverse the mountain roads and Quan had to be back home early, we split up in "lovely" Redding and he took the I/5 slab all the way back in 102 degree temperatures. Dumb ass me got turned around up on the mountain and missed my turn on 89, which would have kept me on top and in the cooler weather all the way back to Blairsden, where I parked the trailer. But instead I went all the way into the outskirts of Redding before turning around and going back to 89. This time I took a parallel route on 44 which turned out to be a nice road back up. Actually all the roads we took were very good to excellent (from a Harley point of view) and the views were absolutely outstanding.

This is an event I will absolutely return to next year, but I'll likely drive my truck so I can bring my astronomy gear. Once you see those night time skies your hooked on just that experience alone. In fact I want to set up camp for two days, the event runs four days and is attended by people from all over the place. Very nice people we encountered up there too.

It was one of those trips where we didn't lolly gaggle to stop and take pictures unfortunately. We got a late start and had no time, take my word for it, the views were awesome. There are many other route options and it would be a blast to discover them at a later date now that I have a bike I can do the distance on in relative comfort. I sure wish I was on an ST though. This ride convinced me an ST would be the perfect Ducati for such a trip, or even the Multistrada if it had better wind protection from buffeting. I was amazed Quan had no second thoughts about going on his 1098 and we didn't take that many breaks along the way. Hats off to you Quan for putting another "Iron Butt" notch on your riding resume.

Ducatimike, if your reading this you were absolutely right about Bambi coming out at Sunset. Since we left late and I didn't calculate the riding time correctly (way off) we had to run the deer gauntlet the last hour or so in the dark. I was buzzing along at about 60 mph on 139 out of Susanville when a deer ran across the road in front of me. I had just enough time to brake and start a swerving movement, but fortunately the deer was far enough in front where I wouldn't call it a major pucker moment. It only reminded me they were there and it was super dark, so the last hour in the twisty forested area my speed dropped to a snail paced 35-40mph. I counted 5 or 6 more deer off the side of the road, but no other close encounters. You don't want to be riding around in the dark up there for another reason unless your prepared, it gets friggen cold in a hurry once the sun drops! I mean it swung 40 degrees from the 80s to the high 40s. I didn't think I would need cold weather gear since all of our riding was supposed to be during day light hours. As a result, I flunked my Boy Scout Eagle badge test because as they say, "be prepared". Fortunately, I had enough sense to bring a hoodie type top and that was for the dark sky location, so that kept me from chattering off the bike altogether.

You guys know me from the Bridgeport ride that I bring everything but the kitchen sink and that is one big reason why I have a bike with storage capacity. The key is to fill it up with stuff you don't think you will need, just in case.

The ride only confirmed I want to do more of them. For those with one bike, a sport bike and have the means to get a second bike, take my word for it and get a sport tour machine because it will enable you to explore previously unknown routes and open up a whole new experience in motorcycle riding. If I could only have one bike and your only option was a Ducati, it would be the ST for me. I hope Ducati with Audi's involvement remodels the ST into a premier sport tour bike, it has the technology in place. They tried to tell us the new Multistrada would fill that role as a four in one bike, I don't think so. I guess there are MTS owners that are perfectly happy touring on them, thats great, but I want to see a more dedicated touring machine instead.

I have to admit the Road King delivered. It was a very comfortable ride made so by three upgrades I made to the suspension, the last being just a day before the trip when I had Progressive Monotubes installed in the front forks. Combined with a touring link stabilizer and superior rear shocks the bike handled superbly for a 950 lb hunk of iron, even in the tight stuff or sweepers. I knew the bike was dialed when I had to pass some cars on a higher speed left to right sweeper. Previously, in a similar situation the bike would start wallowing mid turn, not any more. Later on I called it my 950 lb Harley/Ducati.

As I was checking weather reports I went into the Laguna Seca weather site wondering if this heat will carry over to the weekend and unfortunately it looks like a near repeat of that horrendously hot weekend a few years back. Race day is showing 91 with feeling like 101. Humidity is in the 50s. Doesn't matter to me, I'll be in climate controlled house in front of the big TV. The thought of being in that bowl, a root canal would be better. Other than that, have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.