Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Now I've done a search and read a fair few threads about oil, but I haven't really answered my question, so here goes:

It's pretty simple really, I have acquired a couple of cases of Mobil Racing 4T Fully synthetic 4-stroke engine oil 15W-50 for motorcycles. Is this a suitable oil to use in my 998? Not asking if it is the absolute best, just if it is OK?

I am located in Southern England and use the bike for road and track days.

Thanks in advance.

Spin

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,070 Posts
That's interesting. Here in the States that oil only exists in a 10w-40.

But yes, use it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm a Mobil 1 nut use it my cars and bikes for years, did have a few gear change issues using Mobil 1 4T in my 999, swapped to Shell Advance and all is well again.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
was using yamalube 15w-50 4t in mine, couldnt find the shell oil. use mobile 1 10w-40 full synthetic

·
Registered
894 Posts
And just to really liven things up I've been running Castrol 10/60 in the 900SS and a supermarket 10/60 in the 748. No problems, the 748 survived a good thrash around the Isle of Man. Last year I used Mobil 5w50 which I changed because I could feel the gearshift was not quite as nice after about 10 months. The 15w50 should be fine. Unless you are going racing.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I am a maniac, I use Mobil 1 15-50 automotive (non 4T/motorcycle) full synthetic in my 1098S (dry clutch).

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
Use what you like but I can tell you this, modern car oils don't contain the zinc and phosphorus anti wear additives that dedicated 4T bike oils do.
Cars don't share the same oil between engine and gearbox either.
4T bike oils are made to the old SG formula, car oils have gradually reduced the "good" additives to meet constantly evolving emissions regulations and are up to SM now

·
Registered
168 Posts
Between about 1935 and 2000 there were millions of cars which used the same oil for the gearbox and the engine with no problems. These were used in many Austin, Morris and British Leyland cars including all minis of that era including the coopers.
Even now there are loads of cars which specify engine oil for use in the gearbox.
There is no such thing as a bad oil as there are only a few major companies who make the stuff, that is why they all comply with international standards. There is such a thing as an oil that is too thick which will take many revolutions of your engine before it has circulated fully on start up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Use what you like but I can tell you this, modern car oils don't contain the zinc and phosphorus anti wear additives that dedicated 4T bike oils do.
Cars don't share the same oil between engine and gearbox either.
4T bike oils are made to the old SG formula, car oils have gradually reduced the "good" additives to meet constantly evolving emissions regulations and are up to SM now
You only need the zinc and phosphorous when normal lubrication has failed and then you are probably screwed anyway,Also there is a good argument for using as little in the way of additives as possible so there is more oil to do the lubricating. Plenty cars use the same engine oil as gearbox oil. There is such a thing as progress and the additives are also constantly evolving. You don't think they took the zinc and phosphorous out and didn't put something else in?

Damn! Now look what I've gone and done!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use Motul 300-V, as was originally recommended by Ducati for use with my bike.
It was recommended by Ducati because it meets the same specs as many other oils, but Motul either gave it for free to Ducati or it was supplied to Ducati at a very discounted price. It is no better than any other oil of the same specification only cheaper.
Oil companies are the same as bike manufacturers, a business, and as such do not exist to do nice things and make nice stuff for you, but they are there to make money.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
It was recommended by Ducati because it meets the same specs as many other oils, but Motul either gave it for free to Ducati or it was supplied to Ducati at a very discounted price. It is no better than any other oil of the same specification only cheaper. Oil companies are the same as bike manufacturers, a business, and as such do not exist to do nice things and make nice stuff for you, but they are there to make money.
I do not have quite so cynical a view of things. I am sure there are other lubricants that would work just as well, but really, what's the point in changing? This is what has been used in the bike since it was first run in, and it's never had a single lubricant related issue. While the "deal" between the two companies may in fact have been helped along with favorable pricing, the fact is that the engineers who specify the nominal operating environment selected 300-V because it met their needs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It was recommended by Ducati because it meets the same specs as many other oils, but Motul either gave it for free to Ducati or it was supplied to Ducati at a very discounted price. It is no better than any other oil of the same specification only cheaper.
Oil companies are the same as bike manufacturers, a business, and as such do not exist to do nice things and make nice stuff for you, but they are there to make money.
Are we to suppose that you have a reliable source you can cite to affirm those statements, other than companies are in business to make money?

As for differences in oil specifications, yes the specifications exist and the oils are formulated to meet them, but what about the additive packages? Each company has the ability to specify their own additive package formula, and therein is a difference.

BTW, making nice stuff for us is one of several business strategies. What else would they consider, an objective to make not so nice stuff for us? :wink2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts