Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished the valve adjustment, belts, sprockets, plugs took the bike out for a test ride and noticed some fluid getting on the tank. Turns out their is fluid leaking from around the clutch lever / reservoir. I'm wondering if I created some kind of vacuum problem when I removed the Front Sprocket because in order to get it off I had to pull the clutch thing out a little bit in order to obtain enough clearance. Do you guys think it was a pressure problem that I created and will fix itself or do you think I have a seal that busted or something near the clutch reservoir (on the handlebars) and I need to fix it. If that's the case how do I go about draining the clutch fluid.

BTW: I have a 2004 ST3 DRY Clutch. And it only seems to leak when I ride it

Thanks in advance.

also: still looking for a set of panniers/saddlebags

·
7,733 Posts
I can't see how removing the slave cylinder would have any effect on the reservoir, but who knows? I'd start snugging up the banjos on the reservoir, and snugging down the lid. Wipe it down very well and operate the lever a few times and look for weeping. You can bleed the system using the bleed nipple on top of the slave. Bleed the clutch like you would your brakes. It may be the negative pressure behind the faring may be pulling fluid out of a weepy system around the reservoir while you're riding. Good luck.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Dooch the area

You need to wash the brake fluid off with lots of water ASAP, if you haven't already. It ruins paint in a very short time, just flush the whole area off. You never know where it might have gotten to.

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
We you removed the slave, the piston will extend due to latent pressure. Re-installing it may have forced some fluid back up the line.

I had that happen when I installed the case saver. So much fluid swapped around that it shoved contaminated/black fluid into the res. In my case, the resevoir was too full and there was no airgap between the fluid and rubber exansion piece. You may also want to rotate the wire hose clamps a bit to be certain they are sealing well.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Is the leak from the reservoir cap or from the master cylinder piston?

If it is from the cap, then it is probably just over full, grab a syringe and suck some fluid out, cleaning and rinsing all areas as you go.

If the leak is from the cylinder, you have graver problems, but unlikely caused by loosening the slave cylinder.

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts