Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ducati.ms

Please help! :confused::(

I have been having this strange issue as of late, I've only noticed it since I've replaced my clutch, where when I'm cruising along, I get a strange sensation in my bike almost as if my tire is going flat. Its definitely NOT going flat, it just feels that way. Its best described as something taking my rear tire while I'm riding and wiggling it left and right. It freaked me out the first time so i pulled over to investigate my wheels. I found nothing strange. It isn't always apparent. Only once in a while does it happen.

There is no grinding noise that could be associated with bearings...as far as i can tell. I don't quite believe that its the road to blame since it appears to be smooth. All i could really think of is that my clutch may be slipping a bit???? Any help on this? I believe that when it happened once, I pulled in my clutch lever and it went away...but I cannot pin-point as to whether or not this is directly related to what made the shimmy go away since it is usually short lived in itself.

Could she be experiencing a miss?? I don't believe that I have audible evidence of a miss though and my RPMs seem to remain the same. Regardless, I've ordered new plugs and wires are on the way.

If anyone has an idea as to what in the heck could be wrong, anything at all, please, i need to figure this out before it morphs into a real problem and I get hurt...or worse. Dealer is out of the question since the closest one is too far to get it to cheaply and safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My rear stand comes in this week so if anyone could give me tips as to what to do and what to look far, as in removing the tire, checking bearings etc. it could be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Need more information. Does it do it at a steady speed? Off throttle or on? Braking, turning, ECT. Not likely to be the clutch.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happens at a constant speed-out of the blue. How do I check the bearing and cush?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm no expert, and I sure do not ride a Ducati, but I experienced this recently on my bike.

It almost felt like I was going over thick gravel every once in a while. My rear wheel would shake side-to-side and my but would jump out of the seat. It also freaked me out the first time it happened.

I thought I had too much air in my tires, so I let some out. No dice.

Recently, I adjusted my chain and gave her an oil change and ta-da! problem solved.

Could be as simple as a chain adjustment?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
check tire pressure
check chain play first
check rear tire for anything abnormal.
check torque on rear wheel nut
remove rear wheel and check cush drives
check for chain, rear and front sprocket wear.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it may be my rear hub beginning to fail. The chain is new and good, my brake isn't dragging as i had thought and my clutch isn't slipping. I noticed what appears to be a rather strange wear pattern on my back tire. I noticed this after I had purchased the bike and rode it a while. Is this the rear hub failing and gaining slop, or is there an adjustment for this? It worries me quite a bit :(:confused:

Your thoughts, please.

Also, where may i obtain another rear hub, should this be the case? Thanks All.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think it may be my rear hub beginning to fail. The chain is new and good, my brake isn't dragging as i had thought and my clutch isn't slipping. I noticed what appears to be a rather strange wear pattern on my back tire. I noticed this after I had purchased the bike and rode it a while. Is this the rear hub failing and gaining slop, or is there an adjustment for this? It worries me quite a bit :(:confused:

Your thoughts, please.

before you go out and buy a hub.
put it on a stand and check for play; it may be the cush drives.
did you check the torque on the rear wheel nut.

·
grand poobah
693 Posts
It may be me but I dont see what is weird about the tire wear. Am I missing something. Yes it is dirty in the centerline and more worn on the center like any street bike. Less on the sides and then some tearing on the extremes of the edges. I cannot tell from the pics if the treads are cupped or scalloped.
As for the shimmy. I would get it up the new stand you have coming and check the bearings and cush drives.
I live in Wisconsin now but was native to Seven Hills. There was a duc dealer near randal park mall at the intersection of 271 and 480. I believe it was cleveland akron honda orinally. Give em a call and get a tech to check it over if you are really worried about your safety. Best wishes Brad.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It may be me but I dont see what is weird about the tire wear. Am I missing something. Yes it is dirty in the centerline and more worn on the center like any street bike. Less on the sides and then some tearing on the extremes of the edges. I cannot tell from the pics if the treads are cupped or scalloped.
As for the shimmy. I would get it up the new stand you have coming and check the bearings and cush drives.
I live in Wisconsin now but was native to Seven Hills. There was a duc dealer near randal park mall at the intersection of 271 and 480. I believe it was cleveland akron honda orinally. Give em a call and get a tech to check it over if you are really worried about your safety. Best wishes Brad.
Thanks for the tip brad. I didn't know one was so close.

I put the bike up in the rear stand and there is bit of play. I'm going to torque it today with my newly purchased socket. Hopefully that's all that's needed.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, my wear band is roughly 4 inches wide in total. Its nowhere near centered on my rubber.

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts

Your thoughts, please.

There is one spot on the tire (that I can make out) that looks suspicious, but it’s only one spot. Looks like something that alignment shift (as in loose or bearing movement or shifting off center) would cause. Weird it is only in one spot between grooves - center (or the picture), right side of tire wear. Has an arc look to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tried this?

Hey mate

This may sound too simple but...
have you checked the tyre pressures?

Marty

1 - 20 of 23 Posts